Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Evaluating LA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PittsburghSound

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the awesome info about Ecuador! And thanks, Jultime, for the extra info about Mexico.

You fine people have given me a lot to consider. I'll keep you posted on what I'm thinking/feeling as the weeks/months pass.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PittsburghSound wrote:
You fine people have given me a lot to consider. I'll keep you posted on what I'm thinking/feeling as the weeks/months pass.

Yes, please do. Sharing your stories will make it easier for those who follow in your footsteps later.
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Start up costs.. Reply with quote

Plane tickets..about 1500 to 1600 each way, plus I'd budget in an extra 100 each way to cover travel costs (I had a hefty luggage fee):
$3400..I am assuming you want to budget to fly home if you need to

Extra cost..At least a year ago, you needed 1000 in cash to open a bank account to get at least a cultural exchange visa; I was never clear on at what point you can have back that money-- but in any case you need it as part of your start up funds.
$4400

Visa costs ?? The rules are constantly changing, and a lot of the cost depends on how much it costs you to get what you need (i.e. your passport photos) in your area. I'd estimate 300..few schools cover it.

$4700

Note: If you care about obeying the stated law about visas, it was as follows in mid 2014:
for work visas that don't fit into certain categories (teaching didn't pass the test), you first need a personal visa to enter the country.
You can then you apply for a work visa.

That would be more expensive, but I can't even guess on the costs.

Emergency funds: Since you are looking at two major cities, I'd say you want 1500 just to be safe.

$6200

I'd want "petty cash" in case you want/need to buy supplies for your classes..if you are there for a year, I'd suggest having 500 to cover anything you'd want to buy...this would also be your back up cash if you need to take a major cab ride, find your nice clothes stained and you need to use a dry cleaner, etc.

$6700

I would assume it would be about 2 months before you are working enough hours to cover all of your expenses. I don't know anything about the cost of living in Quito or Guayacil (which I can't spell, sorry), so I will just close it here Smile.

You should need about 6700 plus money for 2 months without enough salary to cover your living costs.
wanderingxelmundo

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Start up costs.. Reply with quote

lagringalindissima wrote:
Plane tickets..about 1500 to 1600 each way, plus I'd budget in an extra 100 each way to cover travel costs (I had a hefty luggage fee):

$1500-$1600 one way??!! From where? The OP is in the US. Assuming Pittsburgh (based on username), to Guayaquil -- the most expensive airfare of the options given -- it's around $720 one way (normal season, neither high nor low). If Bangor, Maine in corner of country, to Guayaquil, same price, Boise ID $850.
$1500 is the price if you go at Christmas-time and book the day before. Or to go US-Asia. It's even a bit high to go to Chile or Argentina.

If you take Tame you get 2 free bags.

The $1500-$1600 should be the RT price or the price for two one-ways, from most places in the US, including two 50-lb suitcases. Would be less if Colombia or Mexico.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are US citizen, Peace Corps wins hands down. Good programme with training. Some move on from PC to other jobs back in the US and some use PC experience to build a career in EFL. Some of the best I have met have been PC "veterans"

I am not so enthusiastic about the UK equivalent - VSO and related programmes.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Where on earth do you buy your plane tickets? Quito-Boston round trip is typically in the $500's. Occasionally gets up into the $700 range, depending on the season. I doubt that it costs more from the Pittsburgh area.

esl_prof

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGoodStory wrote:
Quote:

Where on earth do you buy your plane tickets? Quito-Boston round trip is typically in the $500's. Occasionally gets up into the $700 range, depending on the season. I doubt that it costs more from the Pittsburgh area.

Flying south from the East Coast, prices are generally pretty reasonable as you and Xelemundo have pointed out. Flying from Tuscon, Arizona (presumably the Gringa's place of residence as indicated on her profile), though, can sometimes be a totally different story. From this side of the country, one usually must fly to Miami in order to catch connecting flights headed to South America and the Latin Caribbean. Houston and Dallas, a bit closer, are typically the hubs for destinations in Mexico and frequently--but not always--Central America (where one still often has to go via Miami, depending on the actual destination and time of year).

But even factoring in the extra expense of a four hour flight to Miami to catch a connecting flight to South America, I suspect the figures she's quoted are RT prices not one-way prices. Yes, it's more expensive to fly from out here but, unless Tuscon is in some kind of airline purgatory where prices are ridiculously higher than the rest of the country, probably not that much.

In any case, assuming the OP is in fact in Pittsburgh, this is a moot point. S/he can just book and enjoy one of the many readily accessible cheap flights from the East Coast and head on south.
just_a_mirage

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your BA you could also get a resident visa in Ecuador, which would let you work just about anywhere...language institutes, high school, corporate work, etc. You would be able to be contracted which would also provice you with government IESS health insurance.

There is lots of work in Guayaquil, and the city is just a couple hours from the beach. And it is not nearly as horrible as everyone says. Smile
PittsburghSound

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on the flights, everyone. It's a relief to know I can get a cheap flight to Ecuador, if I choose to go there.

just_a_mirage wrote:
With your BA you could also get a resident visa in Ecuador, which would let you work just about anywhere...language institutes, high school, corporate work, etc. You would be able to be contracted which would also provice you with government IESS health insurance.

There is lots of work in Guayaquil, and the city is just a couple hours from the beach. And it is not nearly as horrible as everyone says. Smile

Thanks for that. Can you give me some more information about Guayaquil? I think it would be helpful for me to compare and contrast it with Quito as I consider what I might want to do.

And HLJHLJ can chime in on this, too, in regards to visas. If I arrived on the extended tourist visa, would it be easy to switch over to the resident visa once I arrived in Ecuador? What is the process for getting the extended tourist visa? And for either visa, would I need my degree apostilled or notarized or something before I leave the USA? What kind of financial investment would the entire process take?

Thanks!
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quayaguil is a hot humid port city. Sending large shipments of bananas, mangoes, and other fruit to countries not on the equator. When I was there in 1995 it smelled of rotting fruit. I was told there was a faint pit full of the stuff that didn't make the boat.
Quito is a cold crumbling city with two seasons rainy and not so rainy. In the 90s the airport was known as one of the hardest to actually land at and about 50% of flights were diverted to Quayaguil.
Cuenca, now there's a lovely place...
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PittsburghSound wrote:

And HLJHLJ can chime in on this, too, in regards to visas. If I arrived on the extended tourist visa, would it be easy to switch over to the resident visa once I arrived in Ecuador? What is the process for getting the extended tourist visa? And for either visa, would I need my degree apostilled or notarized or something before I leave the USA? What kind of financial investment would the entire process take?

Thanks!

For a professional visa, you would aim to arrive on a 12-IX (the 180 day extended tourist visa). It will cost you $200+$30 application fee. You can work on this visa.

You would need to check if your university is on the pre-approved list from here http://www.educacionsuperior.gob.ec/reconocimiento-e-inscripcion-de-titulos-expedidos-por-instituciones-de-educacion-superior-extranjeras/

If it is, then you need to bring an apostilled copy of your degree certificate with you. If it's not, you will also need an apostilled copy of your transcript. You will also need notarised copies of these and various pages from your passport. You would get them done in here for about $3-$5. Then you can register your degree with SENESCYT. It takes about 10 minutes to make the application, but then you have to wait for them to process it. At the moment that's taking about 3-4 month in Quito, I believe it's faster in Guayaquil.

Once your degree is registered you can apply for the visa. For that you will need your apostilled degree certificate, apostilled criminal record checks from all the countries you have lived in in the past 5 years. Notarised translations of those (you get them done here). And a couple of other bits of paperwork that you would get here. This stage cost me about $70. The exact cost will vary depending on where you are getting your documents from. (For example, I had to pay for my UK criminal record check, the apostille and the translation, but it was free from Japan and came already translated and apostilled).

Once I had the paperwork in order my visa was issued in about 1 week. It cost $320 + $30 application fee. I also had to pay a fee, I think $30, to cancel my existing non-resident visa, before the new one could be issued.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
Quayaguil is a hot humid port city. Sending large shipments of bananas, mangoes, and other fruit to countries not on the equator. When I was there in 1995 it smelled of rotting fruit. I was told there was a faint pit full of the stuff that didn't make the boat.
Quito is a cold crumbling city with two seasons rainy and not so rainy. In the 90s the airport was known as one of the hardest to actually land at and about 50% of flights were diverted to Quayaguil.
Cuenca, now there's a lovely place...

A lot has changed in 20 years.

I'm not a fan of the Guayquil climate, but I've never noticed it smelling worse than any other tropical city.

Quito is warmer and dryer than Cuenca these days. Cold and rainy is entirely subjective of course. It's about 21c-25c pretty much every day. I've met people who constantly complained that that was 'freezing', but for me, its absolutely perfect. It does often rain for an hour or two in the afternoon, although it hasn't rained by me for the last week or so. I guess if you really hate rain, that might be intolerable, but again I like it. It keeps the dust down and freshens everything, but it's doesn't really interfere with my life.

The old Quito airport closed a few years ago. The new one is outside the city and it's still expanding. It's won award after award every year since it opened.

Cuenca is a beautiful city, and a lot of people love it, especially retired Americans. But it is literally the last place I would choose to live in Ecuador. Besides which, it's very very difficult to make a decent living there teaching English.
wanderingxelmundo

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info HLJHLJ
HLJHLJ wrote:

For a professional visa, you would aim to arrive on a 12-IX (the 180 day extended tourist visa). It will cost you $200+$30 application fee. You can work on this visa.

Is it possible to apply for the professional visa directly from the US?

Quote:
You would need to check if your university is on the pre-approved list from here http://www.educacionsuperior.gob.ec/reconocimiento-e-inscripcion-de-titulos-expedidos-por-instituciones-de-educacion-superior-extranjeras/

If it is, then you need to bring an apostilled copy of your degree certificate with you. If it's not, you will also need an apostilled copy of your transcript. You will also need notarised copies of these and various pages from your passport. You would get them done in here for about $3-$5. Then you can register your degree with SENESCYT. It takes about 10 minutes to make the application, but then you have to wait for them to process it. At the moment that's taking about 3-4 month in Quito, I believe it's faster in Guayaquil.

Once your degree is registered you can apply for the visa. For that you will need your apostilled degree certificate, apostilled criminal record checks from all the countries you have lived in in the past 5 years. Notarised translations of those (you get them done here). And a couple of other bits of paperwork that you would get here.

Do the university documents need to have been apostilled recently? Within what period of time? How about the criminal checks? Also I read somewhere recently that criminal checks from the US now have to be both FBI and the state of residence. Is this true as far as you know?
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanderingxelmundo wrote:

Is it possible to apply for the professional visa directly from the US?

As far as I know it's not possible, but I wouldn't swear to it. You can't do it in the UK, but there is a company that does pre-arrange visas through the USA http://www.gringovisas.com/ but I don't know if they do the 9-V. I do know they charge pay top dollar for their services.

If you wanted to speed things up you can pay a facilitator to register your degree for you. That has to be done through Guayaquil, Quito won't allow it. I don't know what they would charge for that (but it will be a lot less than gringo visas). I'd suggest you drop just_a_mirage a message about that, if it's something you might be interested in. (See her post a little further up).

wanderingxelmundo wrote:

Do the university documents need to have been apostilled recently? Within what period of time? How about the criminal checks? Also I read somewhere recently that criminal checks from the US now have to be both FBI and the state of residence. Is this true as far as you know?

As far as I know there is no time limit for the apostille on the degree. Mine had been apostilled about 5 years before, and that was never queried.

The criminal record checks are time sensitive. The exact interpretation of the law varies somewhat depending on which office you use, and who you speak to. In Quito I was told the criminal record check could be no more than 180 days old when the visa is issued. So they recommended that it is no more than 90 days old when you submit the application, in case of any delays during processing. However, I've heard of other people being allowed to make the application on the 180th day in other offices. Either way, it can be a nuisance, because if you bring it with you, it may well have expired before SENESCYT finish doing their thing.

Right now, they are only asking for FBI reports, but this is one of the things that does change fairly frequently, so be prepared to have to produce a State report as well or instead,
wanderingxelmundo

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, HLJHLJ!

I was hoping to avoid the double fees on visas (get the professional visa within three months) - and also start being a bona fide resident ASAP so I can be exempt from Obamacare. That will cost up to around $300 per month, depending on what my income ends up being this year, so it would be worth it to me to pay something to make the visa process faster.

Is it possible to enter as a tourist and then get the 9-V visa? I'll have to look back at the timeline here and in other threads to see if registering my degree earlier will help much in those regards (my school isn't on the pre-approved list, I don't know if that takes more time or just means the extra transcripts.

(This is all if I decide to move back to Ecuador where I lived from 1997-2001. Back then you could get an investor's visa by depositing $1,200 in an Ecuadorian bank.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: