Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NEW VENTURER - WHAT'S TESOL LIKE IN YOUR 'ADOPTED' COUNTRY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you are thinking about Mexico your pension will get you a very nice standard of living pretty much anywhere outside of the Mexico City and Guadalajara. Doable even there, but most everything will cost more. Since you speak Spanish, maybe a smaller town of 100,000 or so, near a bigger city might be to your liking. Not sure about the ends and outs of a retirement visa or how much income is required, but that might be something to look into, or, you can stay for 6 months on a tourist visa, leave, and come right back with another 6 months. If you want some extra income I would recommend teaching online, you'll get paid in either dollars or euros, and will likely make as much, or more, than teaching in person. Not a lot of money in teaching English outside of the bigger cities anyway, and with working online you'll save time and money, not to mention wear and tear on YOU. What kinds of things are you looking for in a place to live? Mellow lifestyle? Nightlife? Cultural stuff to do? A good base for travel? Hard to know just what to recommend without know more about that.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Ecuador, it's more concern over cheating than over quality, which the government have been trying hard to clampdown on recently. It's a big enough problem in bricks and mortar universities, and even more so for online courses. Having both taught and studied online, I don't think it's entirely unjustified although I also don't think that simply rejecting all distance degrees is the answer either.

There is a huge market for paying people to complete coursework, etc for you. It's much easier for a rich Ecuadorian to pay someone to complete an online degree for them at a prestigious foreign university, than for a bricks and mortar course.

Some universities that offer online courses are attempting to curb it, but the technology isn't really there yet. It's something that is going to have to be dealt with at some point.
OldandNew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanderingxelmundo wrote:
And sorry, don't want to derail your thread.

Permission Granted :=)
OldandNew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:59 am    Post subject: WHERE TO LIVE IN MEXICO ?? Reply with quote

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR VALUED RESPONSE
-
BadBeagleBad wrote:
What kinds of things are you looking for in a place to live? Mellow lifestyle? Nightlife? Cultural stuff to do? A good base for travel? Hard to know just what to recommend without know more about that.

My first time around of 5 year (back in the 80's) was in GDL, which I loved. However, I am thinking about (not sure if this in order of preference)
-
--> Guanajuato (visited there for 4 days)
--> Aguas Calientes (Never been but was told by a Mexican friend)
--> Querretero (Never been but know of it)
--> Morelia (Too much drug traffic ??)
-
--> Love my year-round 'primavera' weather
-
-->Comments on above cities and/or other suggestions
-

Last edited by OldandNew on Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:09 am; edited 2 times in total
OldandNew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLJHLJ wrote:
In Ecuador, There is a huge market for paying people to complete coursework, etc for you. It's much easier for a rich Ecuadorian to pay someone to complete an online degree for them at a prestigious foreign university, than for a bricks and mortar course.

--> I didn't think of it from that point of view
-
-->I'm still living in 'Gringolandia" Guess, I'm still on auto-pilot in thinking with blinders on.
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you posted in the Mexico forum as well so this may be a repeat. The peso is very weak at the moment, so you're pension is enough to live on, but it's not enough to get you a retirement visa in Mexico. You could supplement with your online work and private classes given among people you know where ever you move in Mexico. At 63, it will be hard to get hired for a full time teaching position in any institution, but you do not need a PhD to teach university in Mexico, especially if you are teaching English to non-majors If you already have an IMSS number from the time you were in Mexico before you might get a job at your age, BUT the bigger issue is with the visa changes that have come into play since you were last here you need to get a visa first and a job second, instead of the other way around as it was in the past.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: WHERE TO LIVE IN MEXICO ?? Reply with quote

OldandNew wrote:

--> Guanajuato (visited there for 4 days)
--> Aguas Calientes (Never been but was told by a Mexican friend)
--> Querretero (Never been but know of it)
--> Morelia (Too much drug traffic ??)
-
--> Love my year-round 'primavera' weather
-
-->Comments on above cities and/or other suggestions
-

The first three are good ideas, the last a decidedly bad idea right now, lots of problems this past week. Would also avoid Cuernavaca, and actually, yeah, the whole state. Personally, I love Puebla, I've spent decent amounts of time there over the years, but it is also large (a million and a half or so). Maybe look at some of the smaller but still city sized cities in central Mexico - Leon(a million or so), (if you like Guanajuato en general, you might also look at Celaya and Irapuato, both are in the 300,000 range, I think) Zacatecas (hundred twenty thousand), San Luis Potosi (a million or so), San Miguel de Allende (beautiful but on the expensive side, population around a hundred thousand or so). Or, if you like the south of Mexico, Oaxaca is a beautiful state, and the cost of living is fairly low. Two other places you might want to consider are Pachuca, Hidalgo (also take a look at Tulancingo) and Villahermosa, Tabasco (both are in the quarter of a million range, population wise). You will get more bang for your buck in a non tourist destination, and in a smaller city. I get a newspaper from Zacatecas and just glancing at the rentals there are a lot of things in the 2000 to 3000 range, even houses in the 3000 to 3500 range. If you want to go even smaller, there are tons of cities in the 50,000 to 75,000 range that are lovely, low cost of living, etc. But, you generally won't find expats, though you will, especially in the poorer north central states, find a fair number of English speakers. I have found internet to be about the same all over Mexico, as long as you live close to the town center, as you get further out, it sometimes becomes hard to find a provider. On the other hand, if you live in a densely populated area even with good internet you might find it quite slow at certain times of the day. That would be something to consider when working online. I am fortunate where I live now in that I am "out past where the sidewalk ends" so not densely populated, but still quite close to town center. Seems like a contradiction, but quite possible in a town of 12,000. Again, it all depends on what kind of lifestyle you are looking for. In the town I live in your pension would give you a glorious lifestyle - nice house, internet, cable, a maid, delicious food, pretty much anything you can think of and still leave you money to travel. As cities get bigger so do expenses, but it sounds like you do want to work part time too.
OldandNew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: BAB-BEABLE-BAD - THANK YOU SOO MUCH Reply with quote

BAB-BEABLE-BAD - THANK YOU SOO MUCH
-
--> Very Cool Stuff - I 'know of' those cities (but not the towns) you speak of because I always saw buses with those cities names on the 'marque' coming into and going out of the bus terminals.
-
--> I will definitely will add those cities/towns to my research 'list'. I am thinking more and more of smaller cities/towns and better life-style
--> I am a fan of being a bigger fish in a smaller pond. 12,000 pop is way to small for me but those others with 50,000 people or more (that's a lot of people)
-
--> I'm single and (no rush but) will want to 'find' 'mi mujer' so I do want the town/city some have some social activities.
-
--> SIDE NOTE: I use the data-base " numbeo' - http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/ - to evaluate cost of living + lots of other data from expats ALL over. Does any one know of other such web-sites?
OldandNew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: WHERE TO LIVE IN MEXICO ?? Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
If you want to go even smaller, there are tons of cities in the 50,000 to 75,000 range that are lovely, low cost of living, etc.

Can you name your top 5 in this category with spring-time weather as the 'filter'
wanderingxelmundo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find numbeo's figures to be way off. They are just averages from random people and often only one or two random people. Usually they're way too high, but generally are just unreliable.

While numbeo's COL estimates are generally too high, I have found International Living's estimates to be way too low on most items.

I look for some blogs from expats who give their numbers, and usually I can figure out from their posts in general what kind of lifestyle they lead, so I can go up or down a bit based on my own lifestyle. I also look at local newspapers or real estate websites to get an idea on housing, and I look at Craigslist, knowing that CL figures are usually at the high end. Also there are often expat groups on Facebook. Sometimes people post that info here at Dave's, but not a lot.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: WHERE TO LIVE IN MEXICO ?? Reply with quote

OldandNew wrote:
BadBeagleBad wrote:
If you want to go even smaller, there are tons of cities in the 50,000 to 75,000 range that are lovely, low cost of living, etc.

Can you name your top 5 in this category with spring-time weather as the 'filter'

You are not going to find a lot of places with year round spring weather in Mexico, I can't think of any, offhand, and having been to Cuernavaca more than a few times, I don't personally even thing that qualifies. I can only think of a couple of places in the 100,000 range you might want to consider:

Can only think of a couple - Tula, Hidalgo and Cholula, Puebla. Both do get some tourists, Tula less than Cholula, but not enough that it would be a bother. Both ore beautiful towns, but have all things you are looking for, movie theaters, that kind of things and both are fairly close to a larger city - and neither are too far from Mexico City, either, in case you want to run in for a weekend. Just a bit bigger is Zacatecas, a beautiful colonial city, some tourists, but mostly from within Mexico. Very hilly though, so you get lots of exercise walking. Tons of interesting festivals and fairs and culture. They have a symphony orchestra and a soccer team too, if you like those things. I will give it some more thought, but nothing is jumping into my mind.
OldandNew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: WHERE TO LIVE IN MEXICO ?? Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
if you like those things. I will give it some more thought, but nothing is jumping into my mind.

-
YOU ARE A TREASURE CHEST OF INFO - THANKS
-
If I may, I have 1 last qualifier to 'Pick At Your Database' . -
-
-->In Staying With the Smaller Cities/ Larger Towns (50M + ) <--
-
-->'Filter' 1 -Mexico City (D.F.) scares the hell out of me and would most prefer to be in estado de Jalisco and surrounding states (called the Central Highlands?)
-
--> 'Filter' 2 - That have a SMALL gringo conclave, I will always have the need every so often to hook up for a cup of coffee with other 'gringos' and speak my mother tongue without thinking/translating in my head, make on the spot jokes, etc.
-
--> If that small 'luxury' jumps cost of prices/rent, well a few 'Picks' with no 'gringos'
-
--> Thanking you in advance
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What helpful posts, BadBeagleBad, chock full of information! But, tell me, am I losing my memory, or have you switched allegiance to another breed? (I'm still recovering from the change from dachshund to beagle!) Laughing

OldandNew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Got Me! . . . Reply with quote

Xie Lin wrote:
But, tell me, am I losing my memory, or have you switched allegiance to another breed?

Got Me !!. . . I just CAN'T help myself . . .
-
I admit I am a 'S_l_u_t' when it comes to gathering information
-
--> Anything (!!) You want to add (Mexico or elsewhere) is ALWAYS good !!
-
--> Thanks to EVERYBODY <--
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: WHERE TO LIVE IN MEXICO ?? Reply with quote

OldandNew wrote:
BadBeagleBad wrote:

Where are you from? Sping in Duluth is a lot different from Spring in Dallas! Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: