Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Can I Expect to Make?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kzjohn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
Public or national universities only pay you when you teach. Private universities can pay each month.

Isn't this six of one, half a dozen of the other? To my understanding, the pay is somewhat similar (perhaps less for public), but one averages it and pays you accordingly, while the other is "lumpy"--paying you more when you're teaching, but then less when you're not.

If you mature enough to handle a personal budget, then how is it different?
mitsui

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no need to be condescending.
mitsui

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway private universities can pay from 25,000 to 40,000 per class per month, from what I have seen.
Some places cut classes instead of give more, since they want to save money.
kzjohn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
There is no need to be condescending.

My apologies, that was not my intention.
kzjohn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
Anyway private universities can pay from 25,000 to 40,000 per class per month, from what I have seen.
Some places cut classes instead of give more, since they want to save money.

I think it was two years ago, my school cut part-timer pay per class about 15%.

Nobody left...
mitsui

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, well this is the problem.
Fewer jobs, less turnover and some places cutting pay.
It used to be that there was turnover in the summer but it seems to be less.
The decline in students who study at universities is having an impact.

I think there is enough work, but it goes to the most experienced teachers, and there is competition. So schools can be picky.

Anyway I know a teacher with 17 koma but his schedule is really tough.
I think the long commutes is the hardest part of his week.

A couple years ago I was at Tokyo Women's University for an interview. Pay had been cut but still there was a pile resumes for them to peruse.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Private universities do pay every month whether you are a full-timer or part-timer. Yes, they pay less per class compared to public universities but as noted public universities only pay during the semester. When you average it out private universities pay a little bit more, overall.

The one advantage that public universities have is that usually there is no cap on your teaching load. One term I taught six classes every Monday. Some private universities only give you two classes per day. My public university would frequently give me four classes most days.
mitsui

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so in my case. More like the opposite. And my hours were cut at a public school. Private universities have more money.
Inflames

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is the OP?
What other job experience does the OP have?
What does the OP want to do in life?

If the OP is young (mid-20s) I would say to actually go to grad school here study Japanese, and network so the OP can get a job outside of teaching, but that depends on the answers to the above questions.
taikibansei

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What Can I Expect to Make? Reply with quote

firststep wrote:
Hi everyone
Long time reader, first time poster here.
I am planning on moving to Japan (most likely Tokyo) at the end of this year/beginning of next year and looking to apply for jobs starting in the April 2018 school year (I hear this is the best time).

I'm wondering how much salary/package wise I should expect from my employer because I have noticed many jobs often indicate a salary range based on your qualifications/experience. I will attach my qualifications/experience below. I will most likely apply for full-time teaching jobs at Japanese public/private schools (I don't want to work at an eikaiwa or preschool really) like as an ALT.

Reason I'm asking is because I was actually offered a job in Japan a number of years ago after finishing my undergrad (ended up rejecting it), but at the interview he asked about my salary expectations. Is that normal to ask in Japan (this was for a job at a pre-school - chose not to be a glorified babysitter)?

When could I realistically start looking at uni jobs? I understand a lot of the uni jobs have gone part-time so I just want to get a visa first and then can maybe look into doing multiple part-time uni jobs until I can find something more permanent.
Also, where is the best place to look for teaching jobs? I know about GaijinPot, what about Rikunavi or others?

Credentials:
BA in Japanese Studies
MA in TESOL
JLPT N2
Problem is my poor experience: Only about 2 years private tutoring high-schoolers (English, Maths, Japanese etc.) part-time through an agency in Australia - can probably get a decent reference from them if it counts
Also studied at an elite Japanese uni for 6 months in my undergrad if it's worth anything

Thank you

It depends on your age. If you are under 40 with those credentials, I think you'd have a really good chance at getting hired in a full-time, nontenured position at a university. You will most likely be on a one-year contract, renewable up to four times. The pay would be between $50,000-$60,000 US yearly. (Once you are over 40, it becomes increasingly difficult to find full-time work without being in-country with refereed publications and at least intermediate Japanese language ability. And even then there can be challenges....)

I have been hired from overseas twice. Typically, Japanese universities interested in overseas applicants will advertise at The Chronicle of Higher Education:

https://chroniclevitae.com/job_search/new?cid=chenav

However, sometimes you'll find ads open to overseas applicants on the English-language side of JRECIN:

https://jrecin.jst.go.jp/seek/SeekTop?ln=1

As I've written before, the number and quality (salaries, workloads, employment status) of jobs offered on the English-language side tend to be far worse than the Japanese-language side here.

https://jrecin.jst.go.jp/seek/SeekTop

Your Japanese language ability will give you a significant advantage over other applicants. Still, without refereed publications, teaching experience at a Japanese university and current residency, you won't be competitive for the better positions yet.

On the thread at this link, I describe the hiring criteria for the better (tenured, tenure-track) positions at Japanese universities:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=113291&start=30

Good luck!
mitsui

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems a little optimistic. Some jobs pay as low as 4 million and I have seen even less, like out in Ehime or Okayama.
Teachers that get over 5 million tend to have published at least a few research articles, or more.
Between 4 to 5 million seems realistic.
taikibansei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've provided a link to the average salaries for this class of employee multiple times. The pay for somebody in their thirties (my guess as to the age of the OP) would be between $50,000-$60,000 US yearly.
kzjohn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just expired, but this is the idea:
http://www.jacet.org/wp-content/uploads/Kwansei_Gakuin_University_E_161222.pdf
firststep

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your responses.
Actually I'm just 22. The only other experience apart from doing tutoring in my home country is that I did work part time at a top private Japanese uni in Tokyo as an assistant language teacher (got the job because I am a friend of the head teacher). Only did that for 6 months and it was just 1 class but at least it's something, plus I'm sure she would give me a good reference.

I would really like to try and score myself a full time uni job even if it's non-tenured (don't plan to live in Japan forever anyway) so I'm glad to hear people think I could get something around the 50k a year mark with a university there. That would really be ideal. Thank you very much for all the links to job sites as well. I think I will start applying for jobs from overseas plus maybe JET Programme and see what comes my way.

I haven't completely ruled out the possibility of working in a non teaching job since my Japanese is pretty good and probably have my N1 by the end of this year. Here probably isn't the best place to ask about that though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: