Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cricket lessons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just doesn't get better than this - well done England! PityThe rain stopped the ICC champions getting at the Aussies last week.
dmb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any aussies teaching in the UK at the moment? How do you feel? Wink
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Eng-er-land Reply with quote

Here we go again. Roll on next summer when the real fun starts: jolly xenophobic songs, drunkenness, riots and of course yet more repeats of 1966.
Remember, lads, if it wasn't for the Prussians, you'd be French (ie their timely intervention at the Battle of Waterloo).
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Eng-er-land Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:
Here we go again. Roll on next summer when the real fun starts: jolly xenophobic songs, drunkenness, riots and of course yet more repeats of 1966.
Remember, lads, if it wasn't for the Prussians, you'd be French (ie their timely intervention at the Battle of Waterloo).

Yes indeed - Here we go again - apologies to anyone offended by the comments - we're not all like him up here. Indeed women in Aberdeen have been known to spit and throw bottles if the game isn't going their way (Has Sarah Norrie's case come up? I was away much of the Summer). As far as 2006 is concerned it looks like we'll be following Ireland (hopefully) and England in the football. However, this is a CRICKET thread so leave the footy for another thread.

At least the Scottish Saltires have qualified for their World Cup. I'm hoping to go, taking in some of the Saltire's matches (We are playing Australia and South Africa - GULP!) before joining England's BarmyArmy in the Super Eights.

Contrary to the stereotype portayed by some, the Barmy Army is welcome wherever it goes.
dmb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this a cricket thread but...... remember, next summer if we don't make it(I guess we will find out this weekend) we can always support the team that England plays against Very Happy

The cricket was exciting though. Anyone going to Lords for the final test?
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
The cricket was exciting though. Anyone going to Lords for the final test?

It's at the Oval. If they played it at Lords the EWCB team would lose for sure.

As for supporting teams other than those from these islands - never. I used to have a soft spot for Spain but never again, not after the Ultras and Luis Aragones decided to go international with their bile. I really hope our English friends meet Spain in Germany and Ashley Cole, Wright-Phillips, Defoe and and King teach them a lesson in respect for fellow human beings. The Spanish FA should be hanging their heads in shame for the pathetic stance they took to that.

Anyone else thinking of heading to the World Cup in 2007?
dmb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's at the Oval.
oops Embarassed

Quote:

Anyone else thinking of heading to the World Cup in 2007?
2007? your turn to say oops Smile my g/f actually suggestted going to Germany next year for a holiday. How lucky is that?
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

2007? your turn to say oops Smile

West Indies 2007 (This is a Cricket thread Wink )

Nice relaxing time mixed with Saltires v Australia, Saltires v South Africa (I know we'll lose but hey - it's a learning curve) and then on to join the BarmyArmy. It's a pity England aren't up to much at one day cricket but they'll make the Super Eights.
dmb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My turn to say oops again. It is a cricket thread but the words 'world cup' mean football to me. apologies
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
Quote:
My turn to say oops again. It is a cricket thread but the words 'world cup' mean football to me. apologies

I see what you mean -well Germany 2006 is footie, West Indies 2007 is cricket, France 2007 is Rugby Union (we might have a team by then but we need one of the home nations to put up a fight) and Australia 2008 is Rugby League (I'm not sure if it'll be Great Britain or England and Wales separately - alas in Scotland RL is not big).
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
Quote:

I see what you mean -well Germany 2006 is footie, West Indies 2007 is cricket, France 2007 is Rugby Union (we might have a team by then but we need one of the home nations to put up a fight) and Australia 2008 is Rugby League (I'm not sure if it'll be Great Britain or England and Wales separately - alas in Scotland RL is not big).
dmb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots to look forward to then Very Happy Very Happy

(Isn't there a curling or bowls tournament coming up? Probably Scotland's best chance of winning anything Sad )
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
Lots to look forward to then Very Happy Very Happy

(Isn't there a curling or bowls tournament coming up? Probably Scotland's best chance of winning anything Sad )

I draw a line at the three footballs, cricket and the horses. I know curling was our national sport but I can't get excited about sweeping up on ice.
grahamb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Sporting Life Reply with quote

"Contrary to the stereotype portayed by some, the Barmy Army is welcome wherever it goes."
Unlike your football fans.
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Sporting Life Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:
"Contrary to the stereotype portayed by some, the Barmy Army is welcome wherever it goes."
Unlike your football fans.

The Tartan Army is welcome everywhere (I thought you were Scottish!?!). It's lucky Aberdeen's Sarah Norrie isn't a regular at Hampden.

At least you finally have a good word to say about the English. Still worried about your mixing up of football fans with those who form the yob culture. Maybe the people you are so obsessed with from the 70s and 80s gave birth to the species known as the chav.

In Germany 2006, There will be some countries from Eastern Europe who will have followings likely to cause trouble which FIFA will be monitoring more closely than the English. However, I can certainly see racism continuing to be a problem due to some national associations burying their head in the sand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: