Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Assistantship Program in France
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Obarnicle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: French Level Reply with quote

I'd like to do this in 07-08, and I'm just curious about the required level of one's French. Have beginning French speakers been accepted as assistants?

I see on the application one is supposed to go to a local university to have the level of your proficiency noted by a professor. I've a BA in Lit, TESOL minor.

Any feedback appreciated.
akalucyliu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Basic level of French- okay Reply with quote

You should be fine with beginning French. Sometimes, I think it's actually preferred because it forces the students to speak English with you. There were at least two Teaching Assistants I knew that had beginners-level French, so you should be fine.

You could go to a university or the Alliance Francaise, whichever easiest for you.
marksuth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking into the assistant francaise program so came here to see if there were any post and wanted to say thanks to everyone who's posted all the great info.

I just had a few of other questions. How hard/easy is it to get private lessons? especially if you're in a smaller town. Also, the pay seems appropriate if it is 12 hours a week, but is it tough to live on it alone? I'm wondering about those 12 hours too. I'm currently teaching in Japan, and the contract says 29.5hrs a week, but I end up spending almost another 10hrs a week preparing lessons and other stuff, but it is for a company. Are there typically materials already at the schools? What kinds of materials are needed for teaching these lessons? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Nmarie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marksuth,

The preparation involved and whether there will be material depends on the grade level and particular school (s). Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a uniform pedagogical system. As a 9-month primaire assistant, I was expected to devise my own program. I bought material just to avoid the stress of not knowing what to do; however, if you're creative with kids, you may not have to. From what some assistants say, there generally seems to be less preparation with the higher grade levels.

I've always found privates in Paris and was offered a few in Nancy, though I didn't do them there. I'm not sure about small towns. In general, I would consider that as extra, rather than relying on it as income.

There is a wealth of information at the following site:

www.assistantsinfrance.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: