Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cultural Extremes in Alexandria?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhouseminx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll do that. Thanks
Gallit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a B.A. in Communication, too, and oddly enough, I was also thinking about joining the Cultural Extremes program in Alex. I'm a newbie to the ESL world, so I thought CE would be a nice way to get a jump start on things. However, other than that actual CE website, there are virtually no personal testimonials out there. Sad It's always good to hear at least a couple of personal accounts when taking such a big move into consideration...

I guess we'll see what comes up...if anything. Thanks for starting this post. Smile
madhouseminx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gallit!

Thanks for the reply. I'm still looking into things. I was thinking of CELTA at the British Council, and like ILI, I sent an e-mail but have received no response.

I haven't ruled out CE, but as you said, it would be nice to hear for SOMEONE that knows something about it.

In the meantime, I'll keep up my investigation, let me know if anything turns up for you!
Gallit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will! Smile I have yet to look into BC or ILI, so maybe I'll do that now. My heart is really set on CE, though (granted it's a decent program). I'm just glad to know there's someone else out there who's in the same boat as I am (only I don't have all your lovely teaching experience).
madhouseminx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you'll have more luck than I have. I haven't gotten any responses from the e-mails that I've sent. Sad

When were you thinking of going?
Gallit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking either this summer or the end of the year (Nov/Dec). But since I can't find any information, I'm not so sure now...

I refuse to give up, though!
madhouseminx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Gallit, I STILL can't reach any of the schools in Egypt that supposedly offer a CELTA including British Council, and American University of Cairo, but I NEED to leave in May or June at the VERY latest and I am going to go for sure.

So, if it comes down to it, I will be going to TEFLinternational in Alex by default. Whether or not I do the CE part of it I haven't decided but ideally I will be there for about 6 months so we'll see, I may have to be the guinea pig Shocked

I prefer to MAKE money during that 6 weeks after the course ends rather than work for free, so, I don't know.

I'll let you know what else I turn up! Smile
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, have I been out of town for a while!
Madhouse: I'm probably 1 of the people you've been reading from in terms of Alex and TEFL International and whatever - I've lived in Alex now for around 2 years, so I know my way around! I basically agree with what everyone else has said about Alex and Cairo - Cairo is great for a weekend, but if you want relative peace and quiet (and lower prices), Alex is probably the place for you!
The TESOL cert in Alex is good - I did it myself 2 years ago (damn, that long already?), and even thought they didn't have the Arabic immersion at that stage, I would have done it if I had the chance. Since the teaching bit is only 10 hours a week, it's not exactly hard to get extra money on the side. I tend to work 10-12 hours a DAY, so you can see how that fits in!
Anyway, if you need to know any details about the course or Alex in general, give me a shout on pm or my email - I'll do my best to help you out!
Sekhmet
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya Sekhmet!! We've missed you. I've been waiting for you to show up and help these people. Cool I wasn't sure if it was the program you did or not.

Welcome back...

VS
Gallit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Sekhmet! So you did the Cultural Extremes program, or did you do TESOL through a different company?
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My program was through the original company - TEFL International. But it's operated by the same bunch of people in Egypt. I know a few people who have done the internship thingy, and I know they did manage to do a bit of extra work on the side. They're pretty flexible about Arabic class times, so if there's only a couple of you taking it, it should be easy.

Thanks VS!! I've missed the old place... Definitely better than 14 hour work-days!!!
madhouseminx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I'm convinced. I paid my deposit, I have my ticket in hand and I will be attending the course in June.

I'll let you know how it turns out! Wish me luck,
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely... Best of Luck to you!!

Be sure to pack your patience and sense of humor. They are crucial for survival in Egypt. Cool

VS
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey madhouse!
Totally agree with VS - you need to be able to look on the bright side - especially Egyptian timekeeping, driving, organisiation, toilets.... But you've got all that to look forward to! Along with Mediterranean sun, sea and sand, wonderful food and really cool culture...
You'll have a great time!
Sekhmet
madhouseminx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definately will. I will be leaving the states on May 31. I have to pack up and get moved out of my apartment among other things since I plan on living there for approximately 6 months.

Sekhmet- I'm sure I will be sending you a pm soon as I have to decide what to bring and what not to bring, and hopefully we can meet up sometime once I'm there.

Thanks to you also VS for your advice and with your help in guiding me to make my decision. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: