Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the EFL profession still a good idea??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregd75

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not exactly sure, but it will affect schools and universities more that language schools. However, if the language school is incorporated in the SEP, then there will be changes (I assume)

Apparently, the first step of the project is to have all language teachers certified. You know how restaurants are awarded Michelin stars, right? Well, the second stage of the SEP programme is to do something similar to this for schools English programmes.

I think its a good idea. It'll definitely improve English language teaching. How it will be implemented is the big question.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, it�s a good idea, but let's not hold our collective breaths waiting for things to improve in the near future Rolling Eyes .
TeresaLopez

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One can only hope, but really, I have seen ESL education steadily decline over the past 2 decades, so perhaps it has gotten to the point where it has to improve. There are some language schools (a few) that require a degree and a TESOL certificate of some kind, and pay a decent wage, with decent benefits, but they charge the tuition to match, and are really only for the elite, price are not accessible to most people. More and more good English education is only available for those who can pay, and pay well.
latif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just wondering, there are so many experience and qualified teachers - have any of you thought about starting a reasonably priced high quality professional school ? Seems to me that'd be one the best ways to improve things ?
PlayadelSoul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
Quote:
The SEP is working to develop profesionalism in EFL. In the olden days, you could become an EFL teacher with a simple certificate. Nowadays, the SEP is asking for a degree or equivalent. This is making a lot of schools reassess their recruitment techniques

What kinds of schools will these new SEP requirements affect? Surely not for-profit language schools.

Many for-profit language schools are SEP certified. The requirements are the same. Any for-profit language school that does not pay attention to SEP guidelines and standards is not going to be very successful.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? That's a lot of faith to put into SEP, which in my experience here isn't seen very positively.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Phil_K

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
Really? That's a lot of faith to put into SEP, which in my experience here isn't seen very positively.

Having nieces that have studied English in regular school, and seen the method of teaching and the results, I'd second that!
Phil_K

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlayadelSoul wrote:
Isla Guapa wrote:
Quote:
The SEP is working to develop profesionalism in EFL. In the olden days, you could become an EFL teacher with a simple certificate. Nowadays, the SEP is asking for a degree or equivalent. This is making a lot of schools reassess their recruitment techniques

What kinds of schools will these new SEP requirements affect? Surely not for-profit language schools.

Many for-profit language schools are SEP certified. The requirements are the same. Any for-profit language school that does not pay attention to SEP guidelines and standards is not going to be very successful.

Actually, I think the opposite applies. A for-profit school that is original in its approach and can REALLY offer something different IS going to be successful. After all, everything starts with the product in business. There is a lot of criticism of for-profit schools, but that is because most of them focus too much on the profit, rather than applying the classic business model that profit is a welcome by-product of good product, control, service and best practice.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good analysis, Phil. Maybe the classic business model is something the owners of language schools in Mexico need to take a crash course in!
PlayadelSoul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil_K wrote:
PlayadelSoul wrote:
Isla Guapa wrote:
Quote:

Actually, I think the opposite applies. A for-profit school that is original in its approach and can REALLY offer something different IS going to be successful. After all, everything starts with the product in business. There is a lot of criticism of for-profit schools, but that is because most of them focus too much on the profit, rather than applying the classic business model that profit is a welcome by-product of good product, control, service and best practice.

For now, however, SEP rules in Mexico. As SEP moves towards use of the CEF, most private, government and for-profit language institutes are going to do the same. I know that we have a good product, strict quality control, great customer service and we also use best teaching pracitices. It is all alligned with the CEF, because that is the standard that most, including SEP, are moving towards.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting opinion. What I've seen here in DF at the private school level (secundaria, not language schools) is a move away from SEP standards, seen as irrelevant or too low. The ASF for example runs an American curriculum, almost completely in English and has been negotiating to have SEP loosen up the red tape that drags them down.

I can think of half a dozen other private secundarias doing similar, though there's a large difference between language schools and primary/secondary education of course.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Phil_K

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlayadelSoul wrote:
Phil_K wrote:
PlayadelSoul wrote:
Isla Guapa wrote:
Quote:

For now, however, SEP rules in Mexico. As SEP moves towards use of the CEF, most private, government and for-profit language institutes are going to do the same. I know that we have a good product, strict quality control, great customer service and we also use best teaching pracitices. It is all alligned with the CEF, because that is the standard that most, including SEP, are moving towards.

Sorry, I don't buy that. Anyone wishing to start their own school is totally independent of all this, with no control of their activities by SEP. I can see that in some cases a student may wish to study towards a SEP recognized certification, but that's not really the market for this kind of school. Most business students, or those that want to learn for their own personal development, are more interested in what they can actually learn than what SEP says they have learned. Thus, a language teaching BUSINESS will stand or fall on by its own performance - as it should be in business!!
PlayadelSoul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point is that SEP is moving towards using the CEF as a measuring stick of knowledge of the language. The CEF is a standard that is internationally recognized, unlike a current SEP certificate of proficiency. If a student can perform at a B1 or B2 level, they are normally considered proficient enough to work in an English speaking country.

Schools that work with their own measuring sticks do so at their own risk. I am sure some will do quite well. Others won't. Only the future will tell, I guess.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Phil and Playadelsoul...you two are basically making the same points, from a business point of view albeit from different business models.

Harmon Hall's move to a Cambridge ESOL model is that of a business chain looking to differentiate itself from its competitors, which are other chains like Interlingua, Berlitz, Wall Street Institute, etc. HH is tightening up the supply chain by eliminating the need to pay for R&D into their own standards and methods in favor of an off the shelf system provided by a cheaper (and well known) supplier. This will give them an advantage in HH eyes in the current market.

Phil, you are talking about a business model that reacts to the HH model. For lack of a better analogy, the corner taco stand vs Taco Inn. There are advantages to that model indeed, one which I believe in and work in myself. The benefits there are local but command a higher premium both on prices to the customer and on service costs (staff mostly). I'm sure you've heard the same as I have from numerous new students - "I was at HH/Berlitz/Interlingua for X number of years and failed, so I'm here to see you".

Walmart pioneered a lot of what HH does, which is to cut costs not so much to the customer but to the supply chain. HH has run a successful business model for a long time now on the same idea and is demonstrating that it will continue to do so.
PlayadelSoul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy, I understand your point but you are mistaken about the R&D angle. HH has invested a ton of man hours and money into reasearching the needs of the Mexican market, developed many new programs to meet those needs and has done a top to bottom retraining of its workforce. It is not just a matter of choosing some books and signing a contract with Cambridge.

Cambridge has very high standards and does not just decide to hand over their entire catalog of ESOL certification programs to just anyone. We have been working on this for over five years. In fact, I look forward to the day when we start with our first CELTA course. I know that is going to tick off the faux "purists" who have been badmouthing my company at every given opportunity.

I don't particularly like the Taco Bell vs. taco stand analogy, because taco stands are generally better than Taco Bell. Although, I did recently visit the States and stop in a Taco Bell for the first time in 13 years. It wasn't Mexican food, but it was tasty.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: