Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Evaluating LA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still get an investment visa, but you have to deposit $25,000 now. Even if you can apply for the professional visa in the USA you will still need to get a 12-IX first in order to complete the SENESCYT registration. So it won't help cut those costs. If you just want to get the resident visa ASAP then contact just a mirage about pre registering with SENESCYT. I doubt it will cost as much as $300 but I can't swear to it.

You can enter as a tourist and then change to the 12-IX here. But as you can't work or register with SENESCYT as a tourist, I'm not sure that would help you. It does take longer if your university isn't on the list, as it has to go to a committee. So that would be another reason for doing it through Guayaquil, where they process them faster.
wanderingxelmundo

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLJHLJ wrote:
You can still get an investment visa, but you have to deposit $25,000 now. Even if you can apply for the professional visa in the USA you will still need to get a 12-IX first in order to complete the SENESCYT registration. So it won't help cut those costs. If you just want to get the resident visa ASAP then contact just a mirage about pre registering with SENESCYT. I doubt it will cost as much as $300 but I can't swear to it.

You can enter as a tourist and then change to the 12-IX here. But as you can't work or register with SENESCYT as a tourist, I'm not sure that would help you. It does take longer if your university isn't on the list, as it has to go to a committee. So that would be another reason for doing it through Guayaquil, where they process them faster.

Ok, thanks again! Yes, I know about the $25,000, but while I had and was willing to risk (this was after some runs on the bank which are now probably less likely after they made some reforms) $1,200 back then, it's not the case now with $25,000.

If I can't go directly from tourist to professional, then I may as well get the 12-IX here in the US.
PittsburghSound

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLJ, what kind of offenses do you suppose could keep someone from getting a visa?

I have an underage drinking charge from when I was 19 (I'm 26 now). Other than that, my record is clean.

I know a law is a law, but in the grand scheme of things, I hope most would agree it would be a shame to miss out on a visa for something so trivial. I was wrong to do it, of course, but that was a long time ago.

What do you think?
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest you also send just_a_mirage a message, she is very much an expert on this.

I wouldn't swear to it, but as far as I know they are only really interested in felonies, particularly anything with serious violence or that involves messing with kids. But even with something minor, you may need help from a facilitator to avoid a 'computer says no' situation.

In any case, that would only apply to a resident visa. You don't need a criminal record check for non-resident visas.
wanderingxelmundo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Ecuadorian embassy, you need a police check for the 12-IX visa.

But does underage drinking show up on an FBI report? Were you just fined/cited or actually fingerprinted and charged and convicted? I think it's a minor misdemeanor in most states.

http://www.ecuador.org/nuevosite/serviciosconsulares_visas_12IX_e.php

According to this site (not sure if it's reliable), http://gringosabroad.com/ecuador/new-requirement-residency-applicants-criminal-background-check/ HLJHLJ is right and it's now only a federal check again:

(But I'm not disagreeing that in any case you should ask just a mirage)
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To some extent overseas consulates can set their own rules, so that particular consulate may make extra demands. However, overseas consulate websites are also notorious for being out of date, or just plain wrong. This is the page from Ecuadorian immigration:

http://www.cancilleria.gob.ec/visa-12-ix-turismo-deporte-salud-estudios-ciencia-arte-actos-de-comercio/

This is the English translation, but if there is a discrepancy, go with the Spanish version.

http://www.cancilleria.gob.ec/visa-12-ix-commercial-activites/?lang=en

There is no requirement for a criminal record check. Worse case scenario, wait til you get here and then apply for it.
wanderingxelmundo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, good to know since I was worried about the FBI check being too old once I apply for the professional visa.

Two more questions: 1) how much is the current minimum salary (I know it's on some recent thread, but not sure which one), and 2) could I stay a couple months as tourist and then still have 6 months on the 12-IX, if for some reason I wanted to delay applying for the professional visa? (still deciding where I'm going to land, for example)?

Thanks so much! You're incredibly helpful, HLJHLJ!
PittsburghSound

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ wandering, I'm quite sure that it will show up on an FBI report, but it would be great if it doesn't. I was never fingerprinted, didn't serve time in jail, was never photographed, etc... but it's still a guilty charge. And I wouldn't call underage drinking a misdemeanor at all, at least here in Pennsylvania.

I don't know how other states work, but here in Pennsylvania we have 3 levels of offenses:

1. Summary offense (least serious)

examples: underage drinking, harassment, disorderly conduct, public drunkenness and things of that nature.

2. Misdemeanor (moderate severity)

examples: DUI, simple assault, sexual harassment, hit and run (no injuries in the accident) and things of that nature.

3. Felonies (most severe)

examples: murder, rape/sexual assault, aggravated assault, burglary, robbery, etc...

However, it might be a good idea for me to go ahead and get my FBI check now to see what's actually on it. I could be assuming it's on there when it's really not.

I'll be sure to send just a mirage a message though, before I do that.

Thanks for your help!
wanderingxelmundo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't think summary offenses show up on FBI reports, though the information I see online is sketchy. Apparently it may or may not show up on a PA background check, but that's not FBI. People say "background check" to include local, state, FBI, credit check, etc. It might be worth the $50-ish to get some peace of mind. If you use a channeler, you can get the check (though it won't be apostilled, so this is just for you) within 24 hours of processing online.
(for example, this one: http://www.accuratebiometrics.com/fingerprinting_FBI_Procedures_By_Mail.html here's a list http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks/list-of-fbi-approved-channelers)

You can also ask to get it expunged (via PA, or local jurisdiction -- not FBI) after 5 years, so if it shows up you may want to try to do that at some point, since unfortunately background checks are more common in US, and are also needed for residency in many countries.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanderingxelmundo wrote:
Thanks, good to know since I was worried about the FBI check being too old once I apply for the professional visa.

I'm not from the USA, so this is just what I've heard, but apparently there are major delays getting FBI record checks back, and it's taking 3-4 months if you apply directly. Then you need to get it apostilled. So a sensible time frame would be to make the FBI application just before you leave the USA for Ecuador. Have your FBI check sent to a friend or family member, so they can send it off for the apostille, and then get it sent to you in Ecuador.

If you begin the SENESCYT registration process soon after you arrive, your FBI check should arrive +/- 1 month of getting your degree registered. At which point, you will be ready to start the professional visa application.

wanderingxelmundo wrote:

1) how much is the current minimum salary

$354

wanderingxelmundo wrote:

2) could I stay a couple months as tourist and then still have 6 months on the 12-IX, if for some reason I wanted to delay applying for the professional visa? (still deciding where I'm going to land, for example)?

Yes, you could arrive without a visa and you will get a T3 tourist stamp that is valid for any 90 days in a 365 day period. Then you can convert to a 12-IX here, if you want to. Although of course, you can't work on a T3.

However, if you mean that you aren't sure where you will land literally, you can do the SENESCYT registration in various places. Definitely Quito and Guayaquil, and maybe also Cuenca, Loja and Ibarra .
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:
Are you a U.S. citizen? If so, you should definitely check out the Fulbright teaching assistant program. The application process takes awhile, but it sounds like you're not in a hurry anyway.

In addition to your current choices, you might add Chile to your list. There seems to be a big push to crank up English instruction down there right now.

Any readers interested in this route especially if you don't have a CELTA or similar and do speak some Spanish should check out this link that just came to my email

http://comexus.org.mx/english_teaching_assistanships.html

Apparently demand is out pacing supply so they are doing a round of publicity in early June.
wanderingxelmundo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLJHLJ wrote:

However, if you mean that you aren't sure where you will land literally, you can do the SENESCYT registration in various places. Definitely Quito and Guayaquil, and maybe also Cuenca, Loja and Ibarra .

Thanks again for the info. I used the wrong metaphor -- I meant I'm still not sure what country / city I want to end up in. People who know me well and know Medellin all recommend Medellin, but I know the ESL market is pretty dismal there, and it's more expensive than Ecuadorian options, and it's far from beach and has no snow-peaked mountains, and is not as simple visa-wise. Within Ecuador, I'm not sure about Quito, which may now be too cold for me after living for years in Florida; Guayaquil, which is very different from the last time I was there; or Manta -- another dismal ESL destination. If I have a little bit of time to decide before the hassle and cost of applying for a visa, that would be great.
PittsburghSound

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLJ, a few more questions for you.

If I'm willing to have a roommate, what kind of price would I be looking at for a decent apartment in a decent location in Quito? I'm thinking in the $250-$300 per month range (all utilities included) would suffice, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

And you mentioned not arriving before any major holidays to find work. Does Easter count in that? My lease at my apartment here runs out around Easter in 2016, but of course I could arrive in Ecuador (or wherever I decide to go) a week or so after Easter if that would be better.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PittsburghSound wrote:
And you mentioned not arriving before any major holidays to find work. Does Easter count in that? My lease at my apartment here runs out around Easter in 2016, but of course I could arrive in Ecuador (or wherever I decide to go) a week or so after Easter if that would be better.

It may vary from place to place, but my experience elsewhere in Latin America is that not much work gets done during Holy Week.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what esl_prof said: Easter is a really big deal! Definitely a major holiday. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: