Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Military Technological College, Muscat, Oman, A to Z....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsHoffman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOD edit

Is this the ad for the ESL Instructor position at Military Technological College? The name of the college isn't specified but I think this must be the MTC.

I am supposed to interview with them this week. I have an MA and 7+ years of ESL experience at the college level.

My main reasons for working in Oman is I would like to learn Arabic and get to know the Omani culture + it's people. That said, from what I've read here if this ad is for MTC it doesn't sound like I'll be able to do much without a car, and I definitely don't want to own a car. I also don't want to be treated like crap in my next position, that's for darn sure.

Anyway, I'll touch base with you all after the interview and let you know if it's MTC.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!

Last edited by Whatever will be on Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
danshengou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omanasty!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyway, I'll touch base with you all after the interview and let you know if it's MTC.

That will help to focus your questions.

Whatever will be wrote:
Tax-free salary until January 2017 when the Value Added Tax (VAT) comes into effect.

Are you suggesting that VAT is on income?

Normally VAT is charged at production which merely means that prices are some things will be higher?

Or is it really a Sales Tax on purchases in stores.

VS
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: zensoring Reply with quote

The original message had a reference to a tax free income/ lifestyle, which was deleted by the site moderators.
My point is, that the recruiters are advertising with an attractive feature (no tax), knowing that it will be gone in a couple of months.
Some applicants may think that the salary is only acceptable since there is no tax. This is misleading as tax will be in place by the time they arrive in country.

The whole tax issue (VAT, income tax, tax on overseas remittance, etc.) had been announced a while ago. Then, it got quiet. However, Oman has joined the other Gulf States in an agreement to introduce income tax simultaneously. This move is designed to prevent workers moving into another Gulf State to avoid tax. The current oil crisis and heavy national debt has forced the introduction of tax.

Applicants should note that prices have gone up significantly. Petrol alone has been put up by the government every 3 months throughout the whole year.

Last edited by Whatever will be on Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
MsHoffman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is definitely MTC. Haven't had the interview yet but still curious about working conditions, car-free possibilities, accommodations, and (as I'm a feminist woman), how conservative the culture is compared to other countries in the Middle East.

Thanks for your help,
MsHoffman
danshengou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsHoffman wrote:
It is definitely MTC. Haven't had the interview yet but still curious about working conditions, car-free possibilities, accommodations, and (as I'm a feminist woman), how conservative the culture is compared to other countries in the Middle East.

Thanks for your help,
MsHoffman

Single women over 45 tend to congregate in Oman from what I hear. Keep in mind though that the M in MTC stands for 'Military', and that living on campus will be rather stifling for spirited types. You could survive without a car, but being carless in Oman should be considered a big negative in my opinion.
MsHoffman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the public transportation? Would I have to take taxis to buy groceries?

And that's funny about women over 45 congregating... would be a nice change from where I am now.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions, and yeah if a car-free life there means I can't get the basics covered, then it's probably not the place for me. Outside of the basics, I'm independent and low-key, so I don't need to run around town on the weekends or anything.

--MsHoffman
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: zensoring Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:
The whole tax issue (VAT, income tax, tax on overseas remittance, etc.) had been announced a while ago. Then, it got quiet.

That is because they are having a very difficult time figuring out (and agreeing on) exactly how they will do this. Lots of rumors, but little fact as yet.

Quote:
MsHoffman wrote:

I would say that Oman is more conservative than the UAE or Bahrain, but I didn't find it an oppressive conservatism. That said, I always dressed conservatively - loose fitting clothing, long skirts, and avoiding showing too much skin. This would be especially true teaching military males.

IMHO, in Oman a car is crucial as it is very like living in suburban US. Waiting for taxis when it is oppressively hot and humid is extremely unpleasant - and much of year temps will be pushing 37C/100F... and they are expensive. I know that some people succeed in doing so, but it very much depends on where you work and live what the level of inconvenience and unpleasantness is.

The comment about women over 45 "congregating" is actually referring to the fact that there are quite a few older women teaching there. This may very well reflect Oman's decision to hire the age group to avoid the possible disruption of hiring younger expats.

VS
MsHoffman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for responding to my post, now that I have more information about the transportation options and the climate, I know that this isn't the right position for me.

Can I just say... Dave's is awesome! I feel like I'm really learning a lot.

All the best,
MsHoffman
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs Hoffman

I have managed fine in Oman with no car for many years. I have a network of taxi drivers when I don't use the bus. I actually pass MTC on my way to work each morning.

The people are fine - they like tradition and being considered respectable but they are generally friendly and I have made many friends.

As for the weather - awful in the summer when you go from ac to ac but getting milder now (like a UK summer at worst).
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Tax Reply with quote

Quote:

That is because they are having a very difficult time figuring out (and agreeing on) exactly how they will do this. Lots of rumors, but little fact as yet.

Well....it's figured out already...there's a Royal Degree, Executive Regulations on the Income Tax Law, Tax reforms, etc.

Royal Decree No. 28/2009
PROMULGATING THE INCOME TAX LAW
http://www.taxoman.gov.om/Docs/income_tax.pdf

Oman introduces Executive Regulations to Income Tax Law
http://newsletters.usdbriefs.com/2012/Tax/WTA/120330_1.pdf

Oman: Corporate income tax
developments – proposed tax reforms
https://www.pwc.com/m1/en/tax/documents/oman-newsalert-december-15.pdf

Amid low oil prices, Oman considers remittance tax on expats
http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/oman/amid-low-oil-prices-oman-considers-remittance-tax-on-expats-1.1417367[quote]

VAT in GCC: Gulf states agree on key issues, says UAE official
http://www.emirates247.com/news/emirates/vat-in-gcc-gulf-states-agree-on-key-issues-says-uae-official-2015-12-07-1.613145

Gulf states to introduce sales tax
https://www.ft.com/content/b0c08768-daff-11e5-a72f-1e7744c66818

http://www.arabnews.com/economy/news/745136
Gulf states agree on to push-value added tax project
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would say that Oman is more conservative than the UAE or Bahrain, but I didn't find it an oppressive conservatism.

Sharjah in the UAE is definitely more conservative than Oman. IMO, Ras-Al Kaimah is slightly more conservative, Fujairah is on equal footing.

It seems that Oman has become much more conservative since the beginning of the oil crisis. In times of insecurity, it seems that people revert back.

I have no car, avoiding the expense helps to save money.
Some of my colleagues are also managing without. They either carpool, walk or have a push bike.

Quote:
...actually referring to the fact that there are quite a few older women teaching there. This may very well reflect Oman's decision to hire the age group to avoid the possible disruption of hiring younger expats.

Teaching is a female dominated profession. Most of the young(er) teachers prefer places with more entertainment options/ social life.

I seriously doubt that Oman has made a decision to hire an older age group...such a deliberate, foresighted approach just doesn't fit with the culture Laughing
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:
I seriously doubt that Oman has made a decision to hire an older age group...such a deliberate, foresighted approach just doesn't fit with the culture Laughing

That is another place where you would be wrong. This has been a unwritten policy since the 80's. The preference was for married couples, singles were rarely hired under the age of 40 until these remote colleges went to a contractor system... which is where everything started downhill.

The system has sucked for many years in Saudi and it has proven the same in Oman. It is a major incentive to improve your credentials to get away from these sleazy operators and be eligible for direct hire jobs.

VS
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An unwritten policy that only you know about? Laughing

MOD edit

Work permits in the UAE stop at age 55. So, anyone wanting to enjoy the diversions of Dubai will choose Oman for easy access via a road trip on the weekend.

Perhaps your information from the 1980s is a bit long in the tooth? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: