Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Germans should not do in america(or britain)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Loyd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crashartist1 wrote:
I think Germans have picked up many phrases from both tv and americans they have come in contact with, saying things like, "I have to drop the Cosby kids off at the pool" I died laughing, I had no idea they knew this expression, and actually they have no idea what it means but I can only assume they learned it from an American (If the tv show was in England I don't know, but then again I have a feeling this is something an american would teach).
I would think a smart thing to do would be to tell all auslanders going to america, that if you don't know the meaning of somehing, don't say it.

Which crashartist1 is this?
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:
You've been in Germany too long, Herr JZer. You even speak/write like one of them. Even the humour's coming along nicely.

I believe that JZer has (or is still pursuing) a master's degree in German from an American university. He is also likely of German ancestry.
Hod

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry_Cowell wrote:
He is also likely of German ancestry.

Yes.

So, is it like this? The likes of JZer stroll into a new class full of no laughs whatsoever, you could cut the atmosphere...These students, with names like Brunhilde and Eva, giving the evil eye as only DDR Germans know how. But it's all about to change...

"Hey guys, I had a great-grandaddy live in Keinspassheim."

Must be putty in JZ's hands after that, eh?
JZer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well on the bright side I am off to Asia in 20 days. I don't even know when I will return to Germany. I would like to take some summer classes in Heidelberg.
JZer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh and right now I am writing a paper about Wilhelm Meisters Lehrjahre. Fun times for all!!!
jasonconga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah,
finally found the germany thread!

Freiburg in the house here!!! But I just got into California last night for Xmas. I would say the following:

*tip 15% or more. If they tip 10% like they do in Germany, that's an FU to the waiter.
poro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crashartist1 wrote:
I think Germans have picked up many phrases from both tv and americans...

Seriously?

I'm not sure they do, because they get dubbed TV, unless they happen to watch an English-language cable channel - which is likely to feature music more than spoken English - and I don't think individual Germans meet many Americans either.

Do you have a different impression?
twentynine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to the annoyance at being asked about Bush in Europe-

The reason so many Europeans care so much about Bush is because his idiocy affects them. It isn't as if Bush just hangs out in the States minding his own business.

It's impressive the way you (Jizr, or whatever your board name is � I can�t see it right now, and I don�t remember what it was) seem to believe other people aren't entitled to their opinions, and yet you write as if your opinion is sacred.

I write that as if it isn't typical, but nothing could be more typical of people from our country.
Expose yourself to a bit of information, and you will see how ignorant you are. I know that makes me sound like a bitch, but there just isn�t a PC way to say it.
We are exposed to huge amounts of nationalistic nonsense in the States, and piles of PC insanity, (note the way you throw around the word 'intolerant' as if you coined it) and told it is the only truth. It wouldnt hurt you to ask a European or two what they think of Bush. Or to ask anyone anywhere what they think of anything and actually listen to the reply.

�And I doubt anyone actually thought Bush would be a good president, especially the second time around. Democracy does not have the same meaning it once did in our country, but for those who did vote for him, the motivation was purely religious, monetary or both.
JZer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The original point was not whether they have a right to express their opinions. The point is that it gets tiring after a while. It would get tiring after a while if everyone in the CDU asked everyone why the voted for the SPD. Some people would get quit tired of it. Political discussions are ok, but does every conversation have to include comments about Bush.

If you had read my post, I stated that I believe people have the right to their own opinions. I just don't want to talk about Bush simple as that. They may have the right to express their opinions which does not mean I want to listen. I did not vote for Bush. I don't go to Germany and ask everyone whether their grandfather was in the SS. When I am in Germany, I just want to live my life in Germany and not have to be an ambassador for the U.S.

The point is that it is not polite to ask every stranger what they think about Bush or why people voted for Bush.

Quote:
It's impressive the way you (Jizr, or whatever your board name is � I can�t see it right now, and I don�t remember what it was) seem to believe other people aren't entitled to their opinions, and yet you write as if your opinion is sacred.

Its impressive the way you critize me for not listen to others when you have not even listened to me. I never stated I was pro-Bush or believe that others do not have the right to their own opinion. I just don't want to be asked by everyone about Bush. I am sure that Germans would not like it if all Americans did was ask about Hitler. The Japanese would not like it if everyone asked about the rape of Nanjing.

Last edited by JZer on Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
JZer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twentynine wrote,

Quote:

twentynine you act like you are some enlightened American but fail to realize the difference between posting your opinion on a discussion board and expressing your opinion about sensitive topics to complete strangers. Yes, on a discussion board you are also expressing your opinion to strangers but people come here to express their opinions and if they don't want to hear the opinions they don't have to click on the link. Therein lies a major difference. Maybe I will go around telling Germans they will be d-amned because they don't go to church. I will see how they like that. I think the last study I read reporter that only 15 percent of Germans go to church regularly.
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
I just don't want to be asked by everyone about Bush. I am sure that Germans would not like it if all Americans did was ask about Hitler. The Japanese would not like it if everyone asked about the rape of Nanjing.

Talking about Bush and American policy is talking about current events that affect Germany and all Germans. Talking about Hitler or Nanjing is talking about history.

You do understand the difference?
JZer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Talking about Hitler or Nanjing is talking about history.

There are no current problems in Germany that rival Bush, so how could I ask them about that.

If you want some modern day examples, maybe I will go around telling Germans they will be d-amned because they don't go to church or I will ask them why they are not smart enough to figure out how to lower the 20 percent unemployment rate in eastern Germany.
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still don't understand. The issue of "Dubya Bush" is not just an American issue. It affects Europeans. So they have a perfect right to want to discuss Bush with you.

If you don't want to discuss Bush, just let them know. But don't try to think up some sort of equivalent "German" issue to toss back at them.
JZer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You still don't understand. The issue of "Dubya Bush" is not just an American issue.

Huh, I don't think I ever said that Bush is just an American issue. Of course this discussion started a year ago.

Remember the conversation was about what Germans should not do in England or the United States. The point was that it may not be a good idea to be so frank with strangers about politics. The debate was not whether Bush's actions affect Europeans or whether they have the right to give their opinion.

The point is universal. People from country x may not be comfortable discussing all the ills of their country with every third stranger. I don't want to discuss all of Bush's ills just like Germans don't want to discuss all of the ills of Hitler(yes, Hitler was in the past). If you want a modern day example then it would be to discuss Milosovic with every former Yugoslovian you meet.
JZer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The original point was not whether they have a right to express their opinions. The point is that it gets tiring after a while. It would get tiring after a while if everyone in the CDU asked everyone why the voted for the SPD. Some people would get quit tired of it. Political discussions are ok, but does every conversation have to include comments about Bush.

Henry_Cowell wrote,

Quote:
So they have a perfect right to want to discuss Bush with you.

If you read my post from a year ago you would see that I believe they have the right to express their opinion but it still does not mean that it is OK to starting talking about Bush, two minutes after finding out that they are American. Some people are very sensetive about things. You know that the person who is being questioned might even agree with the person asking the questions about Bush, but they may be turned off by the way the person presented the questions.

Either way, I am happy to be in Asia where most people are not as concerned about politics as Europeans. Of course my view may be skewed due to the fact that I can't have a detailed conversation with them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: