Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grammar question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pitarou

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G Cthulhu wrote:
Pitarou wrote:
Cool Teacher wrote:
Quote:
"Do you play football?*"

"Yes, I play."
This is not ungrammatical....
Yes, it is. Google NGram Viewer can't find a single instance of that form.
<ahem>

That is not proof. That is simply a record of instances that Google has on file of printed examples. Put in "whatcha doin" and see the results. Is that somehow more acceptable to teach then?
You're talking about a completely unrelated matter, and haven't even noticed it. I can't drive my point home with you for the same reason I can't nail a jelly to a tree -- your ideas turn amorphous under pressure.
Quote:
I don't object to having a target grammar and there will be boundaries that the language needs to stay inside, but those boundaries are not firm.
We agree on that point, and I don't have an issue with your philosophical disposition to err on the side of accepting. But you seem to have set your boundaries so wide that you're accepting a whole load of stuff that most would not recognise as English. If you understood English grammar better, you could be much more nuanced about what you accepted and rejected.

And now I'm going to bed.
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitarou wrote:
Cool Teacher wrote:
Quote:
"Do you play football?*"

"Yes, I play."

This is not ungrammatical....
Yes, it is. I'll prove it to you.

Google's NGram viewer will search a substantial portion of the whole corpus of published English text. If you try the phrase, "Yes I play." in NGram viewer, you won't find a single instance of that form. Play with NGram viewer for a while, and you'll soon find how astronomically unlikely that would be if "Yes, I play." were grammatical.

I don't knwo how to use that. I tried to put "Yes, I do." in the same space and I also got no hits. Confused

Maybe I am not using it right Embarassed ...

... or maybe the sentence is not standard Englsih. Shocked

Quote:
Why doesn't it need an explicit object? Because it's intransitive? (But the dictionary says it isn't.) Because native speakers will drop the object when answering a yes/no question? (But they don't. They use the auxiliary instead. See the "Yes, I play." example above.) Because your grammar textbook says so? (I assure you that it doesn't.)

ACtually we know you can use "have" without an object. Even you agreed to that. Wink

Quote:
Have you any wool? .... Yes, I have.
- No object.

So, in this case we can say it is a verb with no object which I mistakenly thought was an intransitive verb. Embarassed

Quote:
If you still choose to believe that I'm nuts

No, no, no! I don't believe your nuts and if I thought you were it wouldn't be my choice anyway. Wink

At this moment I worry that I'm nuts and can't use the NGRAM thing. Can you show me how? Very Happy
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitarou wrote:
What do you mean by "language game?

MAybe a theory by Ludwig Wittgenstien:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language-game

Quote:
A language-game is a philosophical concept developed by Ludwig Wittgenstein, referring to simple examples of language use and the actions into which the language is woven.

Wink
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitarou wrote:
In fact, "disagreement" is the wrong word. "shock and disappointment at their fundamental ignorance" would be more appropriate. I'm sure a few people will feel insulted when I say that, but it's really how I feel. Please, guys, learn the basics of English grammar!

I'll put this another way. When I was a teeny-tiny primary school kid (that's "elementary school" to you Americans), my teacher wasn't sure whether zero was an odd or an even number. Okay ... fair enough ... she was a primary school teacher. Math wasn't her strong point. Now, imagine going to a Math teachers' forum, and discovering that a bunch of Math teachers are saying, "Well, you could say that 0 is even or odd. Either is okay, I guess." That's how this discussion looks to me right now.

But you're not really telling anyone on this thread anything that they didn't already know, and natural language in use isn't always as neat and tidy as maths.

Ultimately, we don't have to congratulate the student(s) (or even make them aware) of their "successful" (and presumably subconscious) circumventing of the expected pattern here, but nor should we throw the grammar rulebook at them. Correct only as and when completely necessary, surely? Which links to this:
Quote:
Some people seem to be confusing my attitude towards how to correct with my opinions about what is and isn't correct in English grammar.

I could be forgiven for wondering if there a difference in your case LOL. That is, I can see that technically, the item is question is "incorrect", and of course would not have been or be actively taught per se. That doesn't mean however that every teacher would agree with your apparent insistence that it ought to be "correct(ed)".
Pitarou

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Teacher wrote:
Actually we know you can use "have" without an object. Even you agreed to that. Wink
Quote:
- No object.

So, in this case we can say it is a verb with no object which I mistakenly thought was an intransitive verb. Embarassed
And that's why, in modern English, we have dropped this form in favour of "Do you have?" "Yes, I do."
Cool Teacher wrote:
... I ... can't use the NGRAM thing. Can you show me how? Very Happy
Sorry. My mistake in the original link.

You have to drop the comma, and space out the period, like this.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffyhamster wrote:
Quote:
Some people seem to be confusing my attitude towards how to correct with my opinions about what is and isn't correct in English grammar.

I could be forgiven for wondering if there a difference in your case LOL.
I explained my attitude towards error correction earlier, and it is not as you have caricatured it.
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitarou wrote:
Cool Teacher wrote:
Actually we know you can use "have" without an object. Even you agreed to that. Wink
Quote:
- No object.

And that's why, in modern English, we have dropped this form in favour of "Do you have?" "Yes, I do."
Cool Teacher wrote:
... I ... can't use the NGRAM thing. Can you show me how? Very Happy
Sorry. My mistake in the original link.

You have to drop the comma, and space out the period, like this.

Thanks! Very Happy This looks liek a handy tool and I might use it in future a lot.

(I was playing with it like you said and look, this shows the first use of "questing vole" in English books. Its from "Scoop" by Evelyn Waugh.)

Though maybe we need a corpus of spoken Englsih to make it fair. I'm a bit surprised that yes i play football also doesn't have any hits. Confused
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitarou wrote:
I explained my attitude towards error correction earlier, and it is not as you have caricatured it.

I'm sorry, I must've missed it amidst all the grammar lecturing. Cool
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitarou wrote:
Cool Teacher wrote:
Quote:
- No object.

And that's why, in modern English, we have dropped this form in favour of "Do you have?" "Yes, I do

WEll the other example is "HAve you got...?" "Yes, I have." Cool

This hasn't dropped out of use and it still has no object hence my idea that it is intransitive. Wink
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitarou wrote:
G Cthulhu wrote:
I don't object to having a target grammar and there will be boundaries that the language needs to stay inside, but those boundaries are not firm.
We agree on that point, and I don't have an issue with your philosophical disposition to err on the side of accepting. But you seem to have set your boundaries so wide that you're accepting a whole load of stuff that most would not recognise as English. If you understood English grammar better, you could be much more nuanced about what you accepted and rejected.

And we were doing so well before you had to go ruin it with an insult. Crying or Very sad

I too find it frustrating, but for my part I find it so because while you assume I don't have a grasp of grammar (as opposed to simply not agreeing with you on aspects of the application), you seem to have zero understanding of the philosophy of language and how languages actually work. Grammar is sledgehammer IMO; little to nothing nuanced about it at all. That I could mention 'language games' and you simply go "Huh?" says far too much about your own understanding IMO.

Have at it and enjoy the rest of the thread. I'm not going to bother from here on in. Confused
hagiwaramai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Teacher wrote:
Pitarou wrote:
Cool Teacher wrote:
Quote:
- No object.

And that's why, in modern English, we have dropped this form in favour of "Do you have?" "Yes, I do

This hasn't dropped out of use and it still has no object hence my idea that it is intransitive. Wink

Cool Teacher, I think the difference here is that "have" is being used as an auxiliary, which is what are used in Yes or No answers. It's not being used as the main verb. It doesn't mean "have" in terms of possession in this situation.
Also, about the word search thing, I tried it too and I think it has a flaw regarding phrases such as "Yes, I play football." or "Yes, I play", because it treats them as 2 entities by dint of the comma, which would be the correct way to write it, but removing the comma to get round that problem would show no hits because it's the wrong to write it. I don't see how you can use that site to search for terms that include commas.
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hay guys! Can we calm it down a litte because I think the discussion can be interesting but sometimes people have made some extreme rhetoric one thing I think it is not a good idea to say is things like "If you disagree or don't understand then you have no place in a classroom"-type insults. I think we should accept that there are disagreements.

Pitarou said, "I hope this doesn't degenerate into a flamewar, but I must say that I cannot agree."

I agree, so lets not do the insults too. Wink

But I think one important thing is that language and its use and what is right and wrong is not the same as maths, so this example isn't right:

Pitarou wrote:
In fact, "disagreement" is the wrong word. "shock and disappointment at their fundamental ignorance" would be more appropriate. I'm sure a few people will feel insulted when I say that, but it's really how I feel. Please, guys, learn the basics of English grammar!

I'll put this another way. When I was a teeny-tiny primary school kid (that's "elementary school" to you Americans), my teacher wasn't sure whether zero was an odd or an even number. Okay ... fair enough ... she was a primary school teacher. Math wasn't her strong point. Now, imagine going to a Math teachers' forum, and discovering that a bunch of Math teachers are saying, "Well, you could say that 0 is even or odd. Either is okay, I guess." That's how this discussion looks to me right now.

Once again, I have probably insulted a few, for which I apologise. No doubt somebody's going to point out that you don't actually need to know this stuff to teach, which is true. You can run an effective conversation class, a playgroup, or a practice activity without any formal grammatical knowledge whatsoever. But you're teaching with one hand tied behind your back.

Language is a fascinating subject and it isn't always 2+2=4 sometimes it does opposite things and there are lots of exceptions so lets discuss this calmly and not insult each other. Very Happy
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hagiwaramai wrote:
Cool Teacher wrote:
Pitarou wrote:
Cool Teacher wrote:
Quote:
- No object.

Cool Teacher, I think the difference here is that "have" is being used as an auxiliary, which is what are used in Yes or No answers. It's not being used as the main verb. It doesn't mean "have" in terms of possession in this situation.
Also, about the word search thing, I tried it too and I think it has a flaw regarding phrases such as "Yes, I play football." or "Yes, I play", because it treats them as 2 entities by dint of the comma, which would be the correct way to write it, but removing the comma to get round that problem would show no hits because it's the wrong to write it. I don't see how you can use that site to search for terms that include commas.

Yeah, that's a problem and I think that means that "Yes, I play" hasn't been demonstrated as wrong. If "Yes, I play football" has no hits we either say that that is not correct English or we reject Pitarou's claim that "Yes, I play" is demonstrably wrong on accound of having no hits. Very Happy Cool
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Teacher wrote:
Pitarou wrote:
Cool Teacher wrote:
Quote:
- No object.

Also, as someone reminded me Wink , "Have you any X?" "YEs, I have" is still used in parts of the UK. It hasn't dropped out compeltely.
ssjup81

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd jump in and give my opinion on some of the conversation that's been going on.

In all honesty, if a student uses some other way to express something, but is technically correct, I would usually say something like...

"This form [what was taught] is more grammatically correct, but if you travel to <insert place> you may hear, <insert phrase> [what the student used], instead, which sounds more natural."

The average person doesn't always use perfect grammar when speaking, and I think students should be introduced to this too, especially if they plan to travel in a general sense, but of course it does entirely depend on the type of students you're working with.

It's no different from those who learn Japanese (or any other language). It's very formal. Yes we learn the grammar and its basics, but hearing natives speak it is a whole different story. Sometimes they don't speak what's actually in the textbooks because of the different dialects and vernacular used throughout the country. It also might sound unnatural, and I'm corrected all the time for the Japanese I use. I know the basic grammar set up and use it in that way, but might get the, "It's not wrong...but it sounds strange" response. "It doesn't sound natural."

It's like when I took Spanish. I was taught vosotros/vosotras form, which is no longer taught now. It's uncommon to hear those forms outside of places like Spain. Other Spanish-speaking countries, don't use it, which is probably why it's not taught as much anymore, and the fact that most of the Spanish immigrants in the US emigrate (or emigrated from places like Mexico, Central America, and Cuba. I can only speak for where I grew up, though, as far as how they teach their Spanish classes now, and can't say for other parts of the US.

I feel that the main time you should be that strict with grammar though, is if it's for academic writing situations or business situations, where formal English is a necessity.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: