Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Germans should not do in america(or britain)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hod

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
it still does not mean that it is OK to starting talking about Bush, two minutes after finding out that they are American. Some people are very sensetive about things.

You think too much. If you don't like people talking politics, stay in the USA or just pretend you're from Canada.

I tell Asians I'm from Germany cos I'm so bored of conversations about Beckham. Mind you, a waiter in a Casablanca restaurant once said, "Oh Germany, yes, Heil Hitler!"

Do you hear me complaining?
expatben

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't we just agree that politics should not mean as much as it does? Has the American government killed needlessly? Yep and not just in Iraq either the Americans have killed in Grenada, they killed the natives and But both continents have blood on their hands. If it wasn't the French and Spanish killing protestants it was the Dutch and British killing Catholics-unless Britain decided to be Catholic that is.
Do I like Bush? No. Then again I do not like Merkel or Blair and I hardly think a country whos choice was between Chirac and LePen can comment on democracy.
Europe has gone around colanising and killing since the Romans.
Look, I am dualy North American and European and both are swell but this game we are playing for moral supriority is just dividing us when we should be uniting.

Oh, and to stick to topic is it just me or is the only song Germans know "99 Luft baloon" by Nena-come on every one sing along!!
JZer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't forget that France shot down some planes in the Ivory Coast in 2005 without waiting for a trail to see who had shot the French planes.
expatben

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See thats what I'm saying EVERY continent has its gold stars and black eyes. But I know what you mean about the Bush thing. I mean, when I trained in France its not like I walked up to French people and said "So...Chirac vs LePen eh? Wow you guys really messed up that time!" Mainly, because I do not speak French well enough...and cause y'know its rude and all.
JZer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
See thats what I'm saying EVERY continent has its gold stars and black eyes. But I know what you mean about the Bush thing. I mean, when I trained in France its not like I walked up to French people and said "So...Chirac vs LePen eh? Wow you guys really messed up that time!" Mainly, because I do not speak French well enough...and cause y'know its rude and all.

expatben, I am glad to have someone who understands my feelings. I don't think that what Bush did was good, I just don't want to hear about it from everyone. I am not a politician, I did not start the war. I don't go around Germany saying, man you really f##d up by electing Schroeder in 2001. He really ran the German economy into the ground.
expatben

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally understand. I mean, I dislike Bush and yeah I ask about Bush and such with my American friends and I even debate politics with them but I do not hold them accountable. Actually most of my American friends and family voted democrat in 2004 AND 2000.
As a Brit I do not like that Britain is in the Iraq war either and as a Canadian I do not like everything we have done but hey, as you said we are not politicians we have no influence on our government.
Hod

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the gist is that yanks shouldn�t discuss politics in Germany.

Let�s face it, you yanks spend half a decade standing in queues to get a licence to live here, only to get 10 euros an hour teaching adults who were just too bone idle to learn English at school. I work in Germany now in a company with over 2000 German employees. Not a single one of them needs any English instruction whatsoever.

Your students, who know full well that Germany�s economy is about as successful as the Space Shuttle, would much rather ask you, the teachers, why you�ve travelled halfway across the planet to take home far far less cash than the most unskilled unmotivated and unemployed German.

I�m not just plucking figures out the air here. I know, from Arbeitsamt classes I taught when I was a teacher, that unemployed Germans will take home 60% of their previous income. That was way more than I ever made slogging my guts out in some classroom. It was time for a change.

If you want lively lessons, forget Bush. Show them your pay slip.
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
I don't think that what Bush did was good, I just don't want to hear about it from everyone.

Well, I really don't care to read your REPEATED posts (on thread after thread) about how much money you want to save so that you can buy that property in Costa Rica. Okay? Never again do I want to read that. I don't want to read about yearly income, interest rates, mortage rates, and years to go before you won't have to work again. Okay??? (Since your graduate school days, we've heard little else from you except the topics of saving money, dating, and unwanted political discussion with those pesky foreigners.) Wink

Ooops.... I just realized that I don't have to read your posts. I can just skip them and ignore them. So I suggest that you do the same with people who want to discuss similarly offensive matters with you when you're abroad: ignore them and go on to something else.
thrifty

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice what you preach.
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similarly with thrifty/31/Mark Loyd: We hear nothing but incessant whinging about how he hates the lowest rungs of the English-teaching career ladder.

I would ask him also not to mention this ever again on these forums. But, really, does anyone think he has anything else to contribute? Nah. We need out perpetual whingers and crybabies -- to make the rest of us feel successful and fortunate to have the jobs we do. Laughing
schminken

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't want to hear a German/Austrian/Swiss blowing their nose as loudly as possible at the dinner table.
JZer

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ooops.... I just realized that I don't have to read your posts. I can just skip them and ignore them. So I suggest that you do the same with people who want to discuss similarly offensive matters with you when you're abroad: ignore them and go on to something else.

Henry_Cowell, well, that is the difference. This is a discussion board and one can skip reading anything they want on here but in real life you can't. Well, I guess that I partly have achieved that since I am in Asia and almost no one asks me about politics. Well, maybe that is the reason that I am not going back to Germany anytime soon or maybe as Hod said, why the hell travel to Europe to earn about as much as some Wal-mart workers.

Last edited by JZer on Mon May 22, 2006 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
JZer

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
unwanted political discussion with those pesky foreigners.

I guess this demonstrates the IQ of Henry Cowell. The discussion about unwanted political discussion was almost entirely before I graduated grad school.

Well if you don't want to talk about those things, lets talk about the Supreme Court of the history of Canada. I have been studying Canada recently. I want to stop being the dumb American who doesn't know anything about Canada.
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On May 22, 2006, JZer wrote:
The discussion about unwanted political discussion was almost entirely before I graduated grad school.

But, on April 28, 2006, JZer wrote:
I don't think that what Bush did was good, I just don't want to hear about it from everyone.

This was only a month ago. Again -- just ignore unwanted discussions, as I suggested.

My IQ is just fine, thanks. You simply need to get out of your grad-school mentality!! Wink
JZer

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This was only a month ago. Again -- just ignore unwanted discussions, as I suggested.

Henry,

This discussion was deed from December until March when someone who was ew to the board make some commets. I was just describing my past feelings about the situation. So yes, the discussio about unwanted political discussion took place before I finished graduate school. The only comments were made to explain my previous feelings when someone said I should grow up and listen to these Europeans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: