Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the EFL profession still a good idea??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now we're getting back to the OP's question.

Pay hasn't moved much at all in the last 10 years. Language school chains still pay a paltry few pesos per hour.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
gregd75

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not easy to open your own school. It takes a lot of time and staying power to do so. There are always things to buy and invest in.

Teachers are of course a very important resource, but I think pay hasn't moved very much because supply (of teachers) is greater than demand.

The really good teachers will stand out. They will get promoted to coordinator, teacher trainer or the likes.

Its a shame but its reality. What is the solution?
PlayadelSoul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who are we kidding? Teachers are a pain in the ass. LOL

If you have a good business plan and a market, running a school is not that difficult. Or course, it is a 24-hour-a-day job and you have no one to complain to if things aren't to your liking.
TeresaLopez

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
Now we're getting back to the OP's question.

Pay hasn't moved much at all in the last 10 years. Language school chains still pay a paltry few pesos per hour.

Or more! I was working at Interlengua 20 years ago and the pay was actually MORE in terms of buying power then than it is now. I returned to Interlengua a few years ago, and while the pay isn't awful, it is not what it once was. (Among many other things there) I have a friend who has worked for Harmon Hall for many years who says the same thing. But, I don't think that is just true of ESL jobs, but Mexico in general, my brother-in-law has a decent paying government job and hasn't had a raise in 6 years. Another friend who works for the Bank of Mexico hasn't had a raise in a whopping 11 years. She loves her job, though, so there is that. I got a modest raise this year in my job, and gave myself a raise in my private classes, but, yeah, I think things are pretty stagnant.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda got me thinking this one.

It doesn't cost any more to take a class than when I started 9 years. If the student buys the book on top of his tuition, costs to the school are negligable. Therefore, there isn't more money to give to the teacher. We're (language teachers) living in a kind of zero inflation world. Good for the business, bad for the teachers - their costs ARE rising!
gregd75

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rent, water, electricity all cost the institution a lot more now than before.

On top of that, sly taxes, such as a percentage tax charged if you deposit over $15,000 pesos in a bank account each month.

IVA now costs more.

All of these are indirect costs that the language institution has to cover, all of the time trying NOT to raise prices for their students (on the whole)

Things are definitely NOT the same as when I started 6 years ago.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In which case - and I'd overlooked that as I was thinking more of the kind of school that gives classes in companies, and doesn't need premises - even less money for teachers!
Enchilada Potosina

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't opened a school because I see it as 80% selling, 20% teaching. Being a (monolingual) salesman is not my thing. I'd feel like a crook convincing people to work for peanuts the hour. And if you pay peanuts...
geaaronson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Guy, I have been in and out of self employment and business ventures over the years. Mine were not in the language field.

It`s a hard nut to crack. It takes so much more talent and effort than simply teaching. Some have the knack for selling in abundance and have good judgment as to where to put the financial expenditures first, others merely squander their hard earned money on non essentials.

What I have seen of failing English teaching businesses in DF corroborates what another poster wrote in-namely the non teacher entrepreneur should stay out of the business. These people do not have the commitment, the inside knowledge of what it takes, nor the savvy to make it in this business. The Canadian outfit that MO39 refers to is a well run business by a longtime teacher who has successfully built up his business and now employs others to fill his overload.

This is the best type of educational recruiter. I have on the other hand, seen businesses built up by socalled entrepreneurs who have their fingers in every pot. One in particular I worked for for 5 weeks was an importer from China of MP3`s who had an arrangement with EMI to put their songs on the devices and then sold them to music lovers. The language school was a sidekick operation. He was too busy to answer any calls from teachers. He treated his corporate clientele the same way. They would complain directly to me that he never returned their calls and wanted me to handle all the administrative liaison work. I refused. And quit.

Another had a janitorial service. He decided to get into the language business as well. Good money, he thought. Likewise he would not answer any emails or phone calls from his teachers. Likewise, I quit that job before I even began it.

Both businesses had websites when I was working for them. The websites are now absent from the internet. Do I need to explain any further?
TeresaLopez

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enchilada Potosina wrote:
I haven't opened a school because I see it as 80% selling, 20% teaching. Being a (monolingual) salesman is not my thing. I'd feel like a crook convincing people to work for peanuts the hour. And if you pay peanuts...

Yes, you've got that exactly right! And it's a LOT harder than teaching. Luckily my boss is very organized and a great salesman. He has a fantastic proposal worked up. He charges a good amount per hour, so is able to pay his teachers a decent wage.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeresaLopez wrote:

Yes, you've got that exactly right! And it's a LOT harder than teaching. Luckily my boss is very organized and a great salesman. He has a fantastic proposal worked up. He charges a good amount per hour, so is able to pay his teachers a decent wage.

I imagine that lots of schools don't want to raise their fees so as to attract more students, and, of course, that means less money for the teachers. Teresa, how does your boss manage to attract clients if his fees are higher than those of many other schools? By the way, I thoroughly approve of charging students enough so that the teachers are able to make a decent living!
Phil_K

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can answer that one for Teresa. Savvy clients are always willing to pay top dollar for a great product, so getting a good reputation is vital. Walmart sells an ATVIO (who?) mp3 player very cheap, but wouldn't you rather have an iPod?
TeresaLopez

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregd75 wrote:
R
On top of that, sly taxes, such as a percentage tax charged if you deposit over $15,000 pesos in a bank account each month.

Slightly off the main topic, but you can get around that by having two accounts in different banks. At least it has worked for us, though who knows if it will catch up with us eventually. It bugs the hell out of me, I am already paying taxes on the money I earn, I know the reasoning behind this rule, but it isn't fair to a lot of people.
mejms

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running any business well takes time, talent, and a lot of drive. As far as teachers being more in supply than in demand, few teachers at language schools, colegios, and universities have any background teaching. What's their degree in? How many years experience do they have? Let's face it: interviews for jobs are not so much interviews, as a summary of pay and schedules. I've worked for 4 language schools, 1 university, and been offered jobs at two well-known colegios in my 5 years here. I've never been interviewed. Does speaking the language and having a certificate from a one-month TEFL training course in your back pocket mean that you're ready to teach English in pretty much any forum? For most employers, it does.

As for costs, people pay for quality or perceived quality, just like Phil_K said in his ipod analogy. Even more, when it comes to services and not products, people will be more interested and pay more for something that comes through a reference. You see it time and time again. I'll go to a recommended doctor, even if he charges more, than a cheap doctor any day. I paid more for my accountant for years because he came from a trusted reference and I therefore trusted him. An EFL business that has a reputation for quality, prestige, and success doesn't need to invest in sales and marketing all that much. How often do you see a well-known, well-paid doctor set up shop in the street and hand out brochures? Companies known for their service have clients come to them.
TeresaLopez

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine that lots of schools don't want to raise their fees so as to attract more students, and, of course, that means less money for the teachers. Teresa, how does your boss manage to attract clients if his fees are higher than those of many other schools? By the way, I thoroughly approve of charging students enough so that the teachers are able to make a decent living!

I think a lot of people think that all students will only buy the least expensive course out there, but that's not always true, especially for people who have been through all the language schools and still don't speak English. First, we offer Business English classes, and personalize the classes to the industry -tourism, banking, whatever. Second, he has been in business for 7 or 8 years now, and gets the majority of his business through word of mouth from satisfied customers. Most of the companies pay a portion of the fee, but the students also pay part of it - something I think is very important as far as them being invested in learning. It is much the same with my private students - I have several long term private students that have referred me to many other people, and based on the reference given they usually just accept the fee I quote them, and I do pretty much the same thing - personalize my classes as much as the student wants or needs, give lots of practice - I rarely if ever use Spanish in a class once they are past a basic level, and I keep working on different grammar points until they understand how to use them properly and naturally in conversation. It isn't rocket science, but it takes some creativity and patience and common sense (which actually doesn't seem to be all that common!)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: