Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the EFL profession still a good idea??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mejms

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On top of that, sly taxes, such as a percentage tax charged if you deposit over $15,000 pesos in a bank account each month.

This worried me a little bit, as I hadn't heard of it before. I looked into it, and this 3% tax only applies to cash deposits. So if you're receiving eletronic transfers or depositing checks, there's no such tax.

Just wanted to clarify.
gregd75

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
On top of that, sly taxes, such as a percentage tax charged if you deposit over $15,000 pesos in a bank account each month.

This worried me a little bit, as I hadn't heard of it before. I looked into it, and this 3% tax only applies to cash deposits. So if you're receiving eletronic transfers or depositing checks, there's no such tax.

Just wanted to clarify.

I used the word SLY for a reason... you're right in saying that in general one wouldn't have to worry about this tax, but as a business owner, I think its best to deposit all my cash into the school bank account and then I realised that tax was being taken out.

I have no problems with paying these taxes, as a PYME owner. I was just trying to provide a counter argument to the point that things have not changed over time. Indeed, a lot of costs have increased.
wildchild

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

most definitely not, unless...

you are looking to take an extended vacation. enjoy it.

or you are a depressive, sociopath, outcast, nazi... who is out of idears.

cheers to those who have succeeded and don't fit the description above.

you are few and far between, good people, god bless ya!
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="wildchild"]
Quote:

or you are a depressive, sociopath, outcast, nazi... who is out of idears.

Oh, dear, wildchild, are you describing fellow teachers at your present place of employment? Wink
gregd75

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to make a difference, if you want to sincerely help people to better themselves and if you get that 'warm' feeling inside you when you know that your students have learned something because of your class, and your effort... then the answer is a wholeheartedly YES.

We're not here for money. (go to Japan or China for that). We're here because every day we have the power to MAKE A DIFFERENCE. We make decisions daily about our classes and we make them interesting, fun and challenging whilst being supportive, understanding and helpful.

This is why I'm an EFL teacher. I don't know about the rest of you.

I love it. I love my job. I love to see my students come to grips with English and I really love it when they produce meaningful chunks of the language that has come from their minds, not simply repeated from the text book.
TeresaLopez

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregd75 wrote:

I love it. I love my job. I love to see my students come to grips with English and I really love it when they produce meaningful chunks of the language that has come from their minds, not simply repeated from the text book.

I totally agree! I have a student that I have been giving private classes to for just over a year and a half. When I started with him he knew little more than the basics - "to be', present tense, little vocabulary. Now, he is preparing a presentation in English to be presented at a conference on economics in October. He understands probably 95% of what I saw at this point and can converse easily on a variety of topics. No, he's not perfect yet, but it's a rush to look back at where he was when I started and look at where he is now, and know how he got there.
Professor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildchild wrote:
Quote:

most definitely not

I second that. Very Happy
gregd75

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I second that.

Then, Professor.... I really pity your students.

Such negativity comes out in your class and no matter how much you will say that it doesn't... it will definitely rub-off on your students.

the best thing to do is quit your job (and even better, quit Mexico) and let someone else take the job. There are plenty of motivated candidates who want to come and positively influence students in the classroom.

Mexico has a lot of problems but it is also a wonderful place. You think life is better elsewhere... then go!!! FORGET MEXICO!
Rodrigo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A double problem for those students and more to pity. The other problem is too many that come to Mexico and call to themselves "profesors" simply robbing students money maybe just to run away from other problems in the USA?
TeresaLopez

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodrigo wrote:
A double problem for those students and more to pity. The other problem is too many that come to Mexico and call to themselves "profesors" simply robbing students money maybe just to run away from other problems in the USA?

I agree with you, and just for the record, I have a degree in Bi-lingual Education, as well as a TESOL certificate. In addition, I have taken many 1 or 2 day workshops, and read books and magazines on ideas for classes, etc. Far too many so-called teachers think just because the speak English they can teach it. Some at least read some books, and if they have a knack for it, can become decent teachers over time. But far too many don�t ever become good teachers. They just move from school to school, never making much money because they don�t have good (or any) references. But the schools are also at fault, they are the ones who hire them. If schools paid a decent wage, they would be able to require more qualifications from their teachers. But I totally agree with you that teachers that don�t give good classes are robbing their students.
gregd75

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teresa and Rodrigo--- I couldn't agree with you any more. Excellent posts!
Professor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregd75 wrote:

Such negativity comes out in your class and no matter how much you will say that it doesn't... it will definitely rub-off on your students

I know that it's a standard technique to attack the person who tries to show the bad parts of teaching in Mexico. Rolling Eyes Anyway...ALL of my students would tell ANYONE that I am a very positive person, especially in the classroom.
gregd75

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be so daft as to say its standard practice to criticise anyone who says anything negative here. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Of course, any teacher arrogant enough to believe that their negativity doesn't rub-off on their students really DOES have problems.

A cultural difference that I guess EVERYONE is aware of is that if you ask a student if they like their classes, they 'WOULD' say they enjoy them. They respect authority.

Your negativity rubs off. Enthusiasm is contagious. It's that simple
Professor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregd75 wrote:

any teacher arrogant enough to believe that their negativity doesn't rub-off on their students really DOES have problems.

Amazing how you can keep saying that I am negative in the classroom. I'm sure you will always believe that because it takes the attention off of the negative parts of Mexico I mention.
Seems to be the goal here. Rolling Eyes
Anyway...I'm NOT negative in the classroom or when I walk around. I'm a positive person. But I do try to let the newbies know what to expect in a more balanced way and THAT is what seems to irritate so many on daves.
wildchild

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Then, Professor.... I really pity your students.

Quote:
Don't be so daft as to say its standard practice to criticise anyone who says anything negative here.

well, they did criticize him, rather than the content of the message.

just sayin...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: