Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Germans should not do in america(or britain)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oneota

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emerald wrote:

"They should be aware that if US people say "no problem" to a project, it has a different meaning."

What are the two meanings?
clovis

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this might be the only posting addressing the question 'what should Germans not do in the UK', as all the previous ones seem to deal with what they shouldn't do in the USA.

I'd say that very view things offend us 'Brits'. Some 'Brits' are of course ridiculously P.C, hence a 'Manhole' needs to be called an 'Inspection chamber', because of course it is not a hole just for men, but for women also.

Watch 'Fawlty Towers' for a guide........'don't mention the war!!!!!'

I am itching to debate with Jzer about his views, but this is the the right thread. However, what I will say is this. The World (yes, including us Europeans) was appalled at the Terrorist attacks on the World Trade Centre and the consequential loss of Innocent lifes. We all mourned for your nation. Unfortunately, institutions like Guantanomo Bay and the foreign polocy of the Bush Administration in general has changed that feeling of mourning to one of alarm and suspicion. Jzer, perhaps we Europeans are wrong, ignorant even, but I'm glad to say that Guantanomo Bay would not happen in Europe, we don't have capital punishment and absolutely crazy gun laws.
Deicide

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clovis wrote:
I think this might be the only posting addressing the question 'what should Germans not do in the UK', as all the previous ones seem to deal with what they shouldn't do in the USA.

I'd say that very view things offend us 'Brits'. Some 'Brits' are of course ridiculously P.C, hence a 'Manhole' needs to be called an 'Inspection chamber', because of course it is not a hole just for men, but for women also.

Watch 'Fawlty Towers' for a guide........'don't mention the war!!!!!'

I am itching to debate with Jzer about his views, but this is the the right thread. However, what I will say is this. The World (yes, including us Europeans) was appalled at the Terrorist attacks on the World Trade Centre and the consequential loss of Innocent lifes. We all mourned for your nation. Unfortunately, institutions like Guantanomo Bay and the foreign polocy of the Bush Administration in general has changed that feeling of mourning to one of alarm and suspicion. Jzer, perhaps we Europeans are wrong, ignorant even, but I'm glad to say that Guantanomo Bay would not happen in Europe, we don't have capital punishment and absolutely crazy gun laws.

UK being part of Europe...hehe...that's funny... Laughing
JZer

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but I'm glad to say that Guantanomo Bay would not happen in Europe

Are you sure? What do you mean by Europe? If you are talking about the EU I bet that foreigners could be treated similarly in Poland.
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clovis wrote:
...I'm glad to say that Guantanomo Bay would not happen in Europe....

Before you get all holier-than-thou, please don't forget recent history:

The Washington Post reported on Nov. 2 [2005] that the CIA has operated a clandestine prison system in Eastern Europe and other countries....

The Post reported last month that the CIA has been hiding and interrogating some of its most important al Qaeda captives at a Soviet-era compound in Eastern Europe as part of a covert prison system that at various times has included sites in eight countries, including Thailand, Afghanistan and several democracies in Eastern Europe. The Post did not identify the Eastern European countries at the request of senior U.S. officials, who said the disclosure could disrupt counterterrorism efforts in those countries and elsewhere and could make them targets of possible terrorist retaliation.

The Post article has spurred a series of probes across Europe into the existence of prisons and flights through European airspace by CIA aircraft that critics say are transporting prisoners. Last week, citing the uproar, British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw wrote Rice on behalf of the European Union, asking for "clarification" of news reports that suggested "violations of international law"....

And the following, from the Council of Europe (June 7, 2006):

...This was the news item circulated in early November 2005 by the American NGO Human Rights Watch (HRW), the Washington Post and the ABC television channel. Whereas the Washington Post did not name specific countries hosting, or having allegedly hosted, such detention centres, simply referring generically to �eastern European democracies�, HRW reported that the countries in question are Poland and Romania. On 5 December 2005, ABC News in turn reported the existence of secret detention centres in Poland and Romania, which had apparently been closed following the Washington Post�s revelations. According to ABC, 11 suspects detained in these centres had been subjected to the harshest interrogation techniques (so-called �enhanced interrogation techniques�) before being transferred to CIA facilities in North Africa....

...it must be stated that to date, the following member States could be held responsible, at varying degrees, which are not always settled definitively, for violations of the rights of specific persons identified below (respecting the chronological order as far as possible):

- Sweden, in the cases of Ahmed Agiza and Mohamed Alzery ;

- Bosnia-Herzegovina, in the cases of Lakhdar Boumediene, Mohamed Nechle, Hadj Boudella, Belkacem Bensayah, Mustafa Ait Idir and Saber Lahmar ( the �Algerian six�) ;

- The United Kingdom in the cases of Bisher Al-Rawi, Jamil El-Banna and Binyam Mohamed ;

- Italy, in the cases of Abu Omar and Maher Arar ;

- �The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia�, in the case of Khaled El-Masri ;

- Germany, in the cases of Abu Omar, of the �Algerian six�, and Khaled El-Masri ;

- Turkey, in the case of the �Algerian six�."

http://www.craigmurray.co.uk/archives/2006/06/council_of_euro_5.html
clovis

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Jzer, I'm pretty sure. We have a European court of human rights, and to hold people for months without charge is definitely a no no.

Holier than thou' eh Henry Cowell? The same report also shows that Jack Straw asking questions about the 'clandestine' flights. If our security services were indeed involved, it was without public knowledge.

There have been recent cases of UK security forces acting illegally. These cases have been put before the European court of human rights.

You obviously don't feel there is much difference between the USA and Europe (which the UK is part of!!!). I feel there is a huge Gulf between us on a range of issues. I won't be able to persuade you there is, likewise, you won't be able to persuade me there isn't.

I'm just popping down the road now to buy myself a couple of handguns. It's my constitutional right you see.....oops.......sorry, i can't........damn it!!! Wrong country. Perhaps I need to move over the pond.
JZer

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm just popping down the road now to buy myself a couple of handguns. It's my constitutional right you see.....oops.......sorry, i can't........damn it!!! Wrong country. Perhaps I need to move over the pond.

Just like a typical European. Reverting to sterotypes than actually bringing forward any facts.
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clovis wrote:
You obviously don't feel there is much difference between the USA and Europe (which the UK is part of!!!).

Please show me precisely where I stated that.

I simply refuted your obnoxious (and apparently ignorant) original statement. That's still fair, isn't it?
Hod

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
Just like a typical European. Reverting to sterotypes

Now then. Go and read that again.
Deicide

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry_Cowell wrote:
clovis wrote:
You obviously don't feel there is much difference between the USA and Europe (which the UK is part of!!!).

Please show me precisely where I stated that.

I simply refuted your obnoxious (and apparently ignorant) original statement. That's still fair, isn't it?

Hey, so your typical chav is super different to your typical American redneck huh? I don't really like either country but I do know that the Englishman is internationally known as a terrible tourist for example:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18810084/

I've lived in both countries and I don't see much difference on a basic level; English and American white trash are the same; to honest I think chavs are worse than American white trash because they seem to be aware of how stupid they are and persist in it...both countries are overpriced and blow donkey nuts...
JZer

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now then. Go and read that again.

The difference is that I am not using it to argue my belief. I am just pointing out that clovis wants to use sterotypes in order to try and prove his or her point.
clovis

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry_Cowell, so my original statement was obnoxious and ignorant. What was obnoxious precisely, the fact that I said Guantanomo Bay would not happen in the UK?

However, as you accuse me of being 'holier than thou, obnoxious and ignorant' I will use my limited intellect to deduce that you and I would most certainly not agree on anything. I mean, how could you possibly agree with anyone who possesesd all 3 of those not particularly nice traits?

So, I will carry on believing that the E.U has a vastly different set of values compared to that of the USA, whilst you can carry on believing that they do. Of course, you can disregard the European Court of Human Rights, the general European rejection of capital punishment as mere trifles.

The US is a great place to live. It is very rich, the richest country on earth. Funny how it's minimum wage is comparable with that of the UK, except of course the UK's is in � sterling whilst the USA's is in $US. Hang on, that means the UK minimum wage is in reality nearly twice that of the USA.

But, here I am wasting time justifying my belief that there are BIG differences between the European 'model' and the US model. I think there is, you don't. End of discussion.

Oh yes Henry_Cowell, I'd just like to finally say that I'm not running away from a debate. However, I quite naturally don't like being called obnoxious, ignorant and holier than thou'. Go away and insult someone else.

JZer, I apologise if you feel I have been using stereotypes. It is easy to succumb to doing so. However, I stick by what I believe. The E.U's Court of Human Rights, it's rejection of capital punishment show clear differences in views between it and that of the USA. Another major difference is the E.U rejection of anything approaching the USA's 2nd amendment.

The Bush administration has fought to keep this amendment. The American people voted for Bush, so many Europeans find this quite disturbing. Please don't patronise us by saying we shouldn't be alarmed, because we are. Of course not ALL Americans voted for Bush, but the MAJORITY did!!!!
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"clovis"--

If you're capable of using the Search function, take a look at my previous (and lengthy) posts about Guantanamo and the Geneva Convention during the summer of 2006.

And, yes, I did prove that your original statement was wrong. You're welcome!! Wink
JZer

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Henry_Cowell, so my original statement was obnoxious and ignorant. What was obnoxious precisely, the fact that I said Guantanomo Bay would not happen in the UK?

No you said it would not happen in Europe. And I think there is reason to believe that it happens in some European countries.

Quote:
Yes Jzer, I'm pretty sure. We have a European court of human rights, and to hold people for months without charge is definitely a no no.

You are clearly talking about Europe and not the UK.
JZer

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Europe (which the UK is part of!!!).

The UK is part of Europe but is vastly different than some European countries. Are you trying to tell me that Poland and the UK are the same?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: