Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA in Ecuador?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minguskhan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: CELTA in Ecuador? Reply with quote

I am considering enrolling in the CELTA certification program through Southern Cross in Ecuador.

A little about me. I am 39. I am a published writer. I have a BA in English.

I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has taken the course there. (current instructors or representatives of the program need not respond...) I would like to know how the course went for you and what your experiences were with their job placement services. Where did you ended up teaching?

Also, what was your experience teaching CELTA (in Central and South America or wherever you ended up), and if you feel comfortable disclosing this...; what has your salary and living expenses been?

Thank you for your responses,

Drew

P.S. Some of the countries I am thinking on landing in... Ecuador, Costa Rica, Uruaguy, Belize, Chile, Argentina, Paraguay.
minguskhan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Response to no response... Reply with quote

So... there has been 39 people who have looked at this topic to date. Southern Cross usually has about 10 to 12 people per class. I think there are probably 8 to 12 classes a year. So, there has to be at least 80 to 120 people a year paying money to go down to Ecuador to do this program.

And... no one is responding to this inquiry? Not even a PM off the forum? What's up?... Does everybody have to sign a non-disclosure agreement with them? Or, are people afraid of being blacklisted from future work? Or, is the money so good that people do not want to ruin it for themselves by talking about it on this forum? Or, am I just being paranoid?

I have already done searches on here about the program. I know some people have had issues with finding work in Ecuador (and with the recent change in visa regulations and the salaries) I also know there have been some issues discussed with Southern Cross not hiring Americans. (how unpostmodern and monocultural of them...) Or, the fact not everyone likes the management there.

However, I am sure not everyone has had a negative experience and I also know you have to take the good with the bad. Anyone's experience on this post would be much appreciated.
Lukas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never went there. But I would not, as I take issue with their discrimination against American English speakers. To be perfectly frank, I feel that American English is much more practical for most Ecuadorians, considering how much more closely intertwined the economies of the US and Ecuador are (they use the US dollar, after all).

That being said, from everything I've heard it's the best CELTA program on the continent. But don't count on an offer from Southern Cross due to your nationality. And Ecuador is apparently not the easiest place to get a work visa.

This is all anecdotal, so take it with a grain of salt.

Buenos Aires has an International House CELTA program, which might be useful in order to connect to other IH franchises. I don't know anything about the program, however. The Mexican one is supposed to be excellent.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Lukas, I don't have personal experience with this program, but since you're not getting responses from those who have, I'll chime in with what i've heard about it. (read as "rumor and third- hand reports.")

On the positive side of the scale, I've heard good things about the trainers. Of course, trainers change, so this might not be of much use to you; although in my experince it is the single most important variable in how good a particular course is. The course is five weeks rather than the usual four-- a big plus. The other big positive factor is that the course is self-contained with meals and housing provided on site. This means fewer distractions and less time and energy spent on managing the practicalities of daily living while you are trying to focus on the course. Of course, for this to be much of a positive, you do have to be okay with the rustic, close-to-nature, beachy setting with basic amenities. Good food, I've heard.

The negative comments I've heard have mostly been about problems with the physical structure or environment. Bugs. Power outages. Copier or printer problems. Etc. I've also heard grumbling about the British preference you and Lukas have both already mentioned.

Since graduates of the program don't seem to be posting on this forum, I would suggest contacting Southern Cross and asking for contact info for recent graduates.

Xie Lin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or try PM-ing Katm, a member here who did CELTA at Southern Cross. Very Happy

minguskhan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: I'm Not Holding My Breath... Reply with quote

I have been told that the owner of the program snoops on the forums to see what people are saying about his program. (wink-wink. Hi Sugar Lips! Razz ) So... I have very low expectations of getting any objective feedback about the program publically.

Thanks for the contact Xie. I'm a patient soul though so if anyone still feels compelled to give me some objective feedback on the place then they can PM off list or spill their guts here if they are brave.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the course some time ago, and it sounds like you have read my comments already. I am aware that both the course manager and the centre owner read these boards, but that didn't affect my posts. I can't think what else I can tell you that I haven't already said, but if you have a specific question please feel free to ask and I will answer it if I can.
spanglish

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A CELTA is a CELTA. Don't get so hung up on where you take it.

Having said that, yes, it's nice to take it at a place where everything works (photocopier, power, etc.). The British Council in Bogota is excellent in this regard (I did mine there) and I would expect them to have excellent teaching staff. 4 years ago it was perhaps a bit overpriced, ($2000) so check that.

Southern Cross has had a very unique and interesting sounding program. I'm extremely familiar with it and it sounds like something I would have enjoyed very much (small town, food, close to the beach, that kind of thing). A course in that type of environment may bring a few issues regarding 'stuff' working and that kind of thing. I don't know what it's like now, but it sounds like they have done a good job there overall.

IH in Bogota also offers the CELTA (and they were doing it in Medellin, which would be really fun), probably at a slight discount vs. the BC. I don't know of any reason why you shouldn't take it there.
minguskhan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: You're right... Reply with quote

A CELTA is a CELTA. It's not that I am so much hung up on the location. I just want to make sure I am not being messed with, lied to, or otherwise cheated out of my hard-earned money.

I want to know what I am getting myself into. I have no misconceptions about the fact that I will be a foriegner in another country, with different business and legal practices. What is the "value" of spending $2200 + a plane ticket to take this course? What can I expect from the outcome of my efforts of flying down there and spending 5 weeks going through this thing.

From some of the private conversations I have had with folks and from what I have read, I have learned some things. I should not expect SC to help place me in a job in Ecuador. That is other than maybe an opportunity to work in a non-contract position with SC. (you will only get the left over hours that the contract people don't take.)

Also, the possibility of getting a well-paying job (relatively speaking - like a reputible IB school or university) in Ecuador really will only happen for folks with a teaching certification from their home country or someone with an MA or Phd. That leaves the (less paying) Language Insititutes, private lessons, and maybe if you are lucky being a teacher's aid at one of the better schools.

Outside of a cultural exchange or tourist visa, it is highly unlikely that someone will be given a work visa by their employer if they work there long enough because those visas are a hassle to get and very expensive.

Also, at least as what I have heard so far, SC does not discriminate (presently) against Americans for teaching positions. Their marketing angle used to be (3 years ago or so) that they would only hire Brits because that was a way for them to separate themselves from their competition. They can't afford to it seems any longer because of the high turnover rate of teachers. ( I don't know if I should read into that too much or not.)

I am still deliberating on whether or not I am going to go. I have heard mostly positive things about their CELTA program. It's still probably one of the best deals in the hemisphere for the CELTA. I just think that any promises they make you about job placement and a work visa is at best a lure to get you to go through their program... which if I go down there I may have less than pleasant words with them about that. Frankly, I do not think I would want to even stay in Ecuador very long. The pay is low and there are other places in the world that I would rather be for the same amount of pay. I just want a cheap CELTA course and the plane fair is cheaper to get there than Vietnam, Poland, or Thailand... And, the beach and scorpions would be a nice added bonus Laughing
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Job placement help will likely consist of a list of potential employers, which is pretty much what most/all places that offer 'job placement help' do. You can get the same info by spending a little time reading older threads on here. Its added value is negligible and I suggest you ignore it when making your decision.

The visa situation in Ecuador is complex and constantly changing. As things stand right now you won't get a work visa (and if you did you wouldn't be able to register a contract, a change in the rules 'broke' the system and has rendered them largely useless). The official government line is that they want language institutes to employ on cultural exchange visas, and the bigger reputable schools offer them. It's legit and nothing to be concerned about. (Unlike working on a tourist or volunteer visa). With no experience and minimum qualifications those would be the jobs you are looking at in most countries.

LatAm is not the place to go to make money. In most cases, especially for starter level jobs, you should be able to break even, but not much more.

What you will get out of the course is a CELTA certificate, once you have that, in most cases no-one will know, care or ask where you did it. Beyond that, what are you hoping for?

If you do it in Ecuador you will also get experience of working in a developing country. Yes there were power cuts, printing, computing and internet access problems. Welcome to Ecuador. It was something of a PITA at the time, but I came to value it later when I experienced all the same sorts of things at work, and was able to take it in my stride.

If you are planning to work in a developing country I would definitely recommend it. However, if you have no interest in working in Ecuador, you would be better off doing the course in your country of interest, or as near as you can. Any savings in course costs will be eaten up by the additional air fares, so it would likely be a false economy.

In many places, being in-country and ready to work is the single biggest advantage you can give yourself.
BocaNY

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I just saw this thread. I agree with what HLJHLJ said. I did my CELTA with Southern Cross a few years ago. I was the last class to do it in Quito so my experience is a bit different. It is a great program. I loved the instructors I had and I learned a lot. SC helped find me a place to live and met me at the airport when I arrived. I took the CELTA there because it was the cheapest place to do so and I wanted to be in Ecuador.

Like mentioned in other posts their "job placement" is just a list of places that are hiring and if you want a specific place they may not have contacts in that area. Also living in Ecuador is pretty cheap and do expect for things not to work right.

As for visas well that is just a pain. I was living there when the changes started and it sucked that's why I left. Schools and universities wouldn't bother with one giving you a job if you didn't already have the proper visa and this was BEFORE the visa change. It's a catch 22 they want you but don't want to pay for your visa but you can't get a visa without a sponsor/job.

Now when I was there I worked at a language center and the pay plus benefits was more then what my local teacher friends were making. Also when I applied to a university they offered me the same amount as the language center difference being that the language center would help me get a visa and pay for some of it.

SC is a great place to do your CELTA but don't expect miracles from them. They can't place you in a job but can give you a list of places to apply. They can't help with the visa unless they are actually going to hire you. The instructors are great (well the ones I had) and the fact that it's 5 weeks instead of four is a huge bonus. I used to go out drinking after classes with my instructors on the weekend and we would all go out to lunch during the week. Good experience I wouldn't change it.
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my professional opinion that you'd be better off doing the SIT program if they are still running it in Ecuador that is.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: CELTA in Ecuador? Reply with quote

minguskhan wrote:
I am considering enrolling in the CELTA certification program through Southern Cross in Ecuador.

A little about me. I am 39. I am a published writer. I have a BA in English.

I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has taken the course there. (current instructors or representatives of the program need not respond...) I would like to know how the course went for you and what your experiences were with their job placement services. Where did you ended up teaching?

Also, what was your experience teaching CELTA (in Central and South America or wherever you ended up), and if you feel comfortable disclosing this...; what has your salary and living expenses been?

Thank you for your responses,

Drew

P.S. Some of the countries I am thinking on landing in... Ecuador, Costa Rica, Uruaguy, Belize, Chile, Argentina, Paraguay.

I think you would be better off just doing a decent on-line cert and getting a piece of paper that says "TEFL Trained Teacher" on it for about $300 bucks.

WHY???

1st: You already have a related degree major (English~!) and you are NOT sure which country you want to even teach/live in.

2nd: A CELTA isn't going to get you some magic job, as other posters have already said, a MA TESOL or a ceritification to teach in public schools back home which let's you get in with the IB schools etc.

Otherwise, in much of South America you will find wages are $3-$5 an hour at many schools, $6-8 at a little better place and those that pay $8-10 an hour are top-tier (even in Mexico City, Mexico, the wages at some lingo dingo school are $4-$8 bucks an hour, a crap wage which hardly justifies shelling out upwards of 3 grand for a CELTA which MOST employers in Mexico DON'T even know what it is!)

3rd: Your money would be far better spend looking for which country and city you like best and having a nice cash reserve... EFL work is totally unpredictable and not at all a reliable source of income.
minguskhan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Maybe I didn't make this clear... Reply with quote

I have no expectation that the magic job fairy is going to come and wave her magic wand and give me an ESL job in paradise. The issue has been for me seeing if my sense of probability is aligned with the objective truth. That is, is what I was being told by the people at SC and what I had seen on some of the other ESL job websites and postings lining up with reality.

You're other points are well taken and validate what I have been thinking though. So... I appreciate that.

These places obviously have a conflict of interest in telling you at best a little more than optimistic outcomes with regards to what happens after you get certified. I have appreciated all of your comments so far.
Hannah_M

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Southern Cross Reply with quote

Hi there, this reply is months late, but I thought I'd chip in.

I took the CELTA at SC in Feb 2011 and had a great time. The location is not for everyone - it's very rustic - but everything works pretty much all of the time and you have all your meals taken care of. All you need to do for yourself to be successful on the course is study. Laundry, cleaning, cooking everything is done for you. This cuts down on the course stress by about 95%!

The instructors I had were superb. They were extremely professional, fair, very supportive and helpful. I am still in touch with one of them from time to time.

I found myself a job straight from the CELTA, and I didn't use SC's connections as I wanted to go to Mexico. However, I know several people who got work in universities, mining companies etc. with the contact info from SC. They do not place you in work, but they are a respected training centre that institutions within Ecuador trust and will recruit their graduates.

I'm still living in Latin America, and have kept an eye out to see when SC (now the British English centre or something) start running YL extensions. I trust their standards and service delivery and the qualification I got there has really served me well.

Responding to other posts - yes, a CELTA is a standardised qualification so where you take it should not affect the quality of your training. However, there are more supportive trainers and less supportive trainers, and there are more supportive environments and less supportive environments. I had a really great time there, took advantage of the location and all the fringe benefits, studied hard, and came out with a Pass B and a job to go to! It don't get much better than that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: