Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Little Piece Of Home
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mouse

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: A Little Piece Of Home Reply with quote

I was just sitting here in the sun, surfing the net and waiting for my next class to begin, when a chance word in an email from a friend sparked a craving: right now I would love a cheese and onion pasty. They have some foods here which are similar, but dare I say it, not the same thing.

This got me to thinking what I would like to add to Spain from the places I've lived and visited, to make it an even nicer country (for me). Cheese and onion pasties are definitely in this list, shipped straight from Wales, as is good lamb and authentic pubs where people actually sing when a popular song comes on the jukebox. I'd also like some more of the fascinating history and ruins from Sicily (and their ice-cream and pizza wouldn't go amiss, either). The New Zealand attitude to travel and new places, and the way they make the most of the great outdoors, would have to be added...

What'd you contribute?
lozwich

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: what the???? Reply with quote

Oh lordy lordy!

This morning as I was sauntering through the university on my way to another day of enforced sitting in my office for hours on end doing nothing other than surfing the net, reading books, and "professional development", I swear I could smell sausage rolls cooking. Now, being largely vegetarian in more normal circumstances, there's no way I'd eat a sausage roll in Australia, but what I wouldn't give for one right now, covered in tomato sauce. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Pasties are good too (Australian spelling..), although I've never had a cheese and onion one, they sound GREAT!!

I'd contribute Vegemite, of course!

And the typically Australian way of giving hugely understated compliments that mean oh so very much.

The Mexican tendency to just look at you with a quizzical look on their faces when you're screaming and having a complete thrombo about something that isn't really that important, which suddenly makes you realise that nothing is worth getting that upset about.

Again, a Mexican thing, public toilets in government offices, shops, by the side of the road, anywhere you might need one, and the understanding that sometimes you have to go right now Shocked

Or are those things already in Spain?? Wink

L.
Mouse

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pasties are good too (Australian spelling..), although I've never had a cheese and onion one, they sound GREAT!!

Ah, they surely are. Very Happy

Quote:
I'd contribute Vegemite, of course!

Uh... great. *Tries not to gag* Wink

Quote:
Or are those things already in Spain??

Well, they have toilets here, obviously. What kind of place do you think this is, huh? But toilets everywhere? Only for dogs. (They're called "streets")
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give a lot for a pasty. In fact, I was thinking only this morning how pasties must be the best value meal in the UK. Filling, nutricious.... mmmmm

You can get really nice pasties from railway stations in London, and there are also "West country pasty shop" franchises all over the place. My favourites are leek with cheese, and also chicken and vegetable.

Lozwich - behave! It's Marmite, not that pale imitator "vegemite". The two don't even compare...

Anyway, I miss baked beans and a good English fry-up. I occasionally try to cook a breakfast in Rome, but I can't get decent English sausages or bacon and have to do with those poncey healthy pure sausage "luganega".

And I miss blackcurrants and gooseberries from my Dad's garden...

I suddenly feel homesick Crying or Very sad
lozwich

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A list:

1. How do you pronounce 'pasty' or the more correct spelling, 'pastie', if you're from England? In Australian its "Paahhstie. Mate."

2. You're right TiR, they don't compare! You see Marmite was a bizarre experiment that went wrong, and Vegemite is proof that there is some kind of supreme being...

3. I made my own baked beans the other day!!! It was brilliant!! First, you take a tin of frijoles enteros bayos and add tomato, garlic and the piece de resistance, a good old splashing of Valentina mesquite sauce! Absolutely flipping brilliant!!!

4. What do you mean you can't get frijoles enteros bayos and Valentina in Europe??!!??

5. I don't know what gooseberries are, but I do remember walking around in London in the early 90's eating the biggest, fattest, juiciest, deliciousest rasberries I have ever tasted in my entire life that cost one pound a punnet.

6. Have a great day!

Lozwich.
lozwich

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: toilet humor.. Reply with quote

Mouse wrote:
Well, they have toilets here, obviously. What kind of place do you think this is, huh? But toilets everywhere? Only for dogs. (They're called "streets")

When I first got to the wilds of Oaxaca, I didn't believe what everyone told me about it being really unsafe to eat fish here in the mountains. And then I found out. Shocked In the middle of the whole nasty event, I of course had to go to immigration to sort out my work visa. I was sitting in the office, feeling the bacteria in my belly having yet another party, and waiting my turn, wondering which thing would come first, the scary immigration man, or the explosion of my innards.

The visa guy won, and I went through the presentation and blessing of the 50 million forms I had to submit while kind of wiggling around on my seat, and sweating and thinking "OhGodOhGodOhGod", when I said to my friend who was helping with translation, "I HAVE TO GO TO THE TOILET RIGHT NOW." She turned to tell him what I'd said, but he just pointed me in the right direction and patiently waited for me to come back and finish signing things!

Very Happy
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Holy frijoles! Reply with quote

Lozwich, you'll find plenty of Latin American produce in Madrid, be it frijoles or fresh chillis. An ex-student of mine recommended a Mexican restaurant called Orale compadre (near Alfonso XIII Metro station).
lozwich

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I'm not going to Madrid! Crying or Very sad Well, maybe to buy groceries!

I read a whole book on the weekend (get a life Lozwich!!) from England, and as a result have a couple of things to add to the list of scrummy food items..

1. Ginger biscuits. Oh ginger biscuits!

2. Vietnamese cold spring rolls. You know the ones made with rice paper and filled with noodles. mmmmmmmmmmmmm
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely adore Vietnamese food, and we're blessed by "Castroni" in Rome - an import food shop which has all sorts of things - including the rice paper you need for spring rolls. I make them from time to time. Any time you come to Rome I'll cook you some!

You can also buy ginger biscuits from Castroni, as well as proper orange marmalade. Still looking for bacon though. And pasties...
lozwich

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, TiR, since you put it that way, if I make it to England before Spain, I'll bring you a pastie (or even an Australian one!) but it might be a bit soggy by the time I get it there... Wink
jamesll

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it would have to be Indian food, oh the thought of it!... Chicken Vindaloo, pilau rice, poppadoms, pickles, Peshwari nan, that music, the morning after. Of course this is just a foolish dream since I live in a small town in South East Spain whose people consider pizza adventurous and have serious problems understanding the concept of putting a combination of meat and vegetables on the same plate.

I would also add adult students with personalities and interesting things to say about life to the list; teaching here would definitely be more interesting. Can you believe I've got students in their thirties still living with their mummy and daddy! No wonder they haven't got anything to say. They also seem to have picked up this strange dialect. I, of course, learned classical Spanish. Basil! Stop it!
J
Hector_Lector

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As any fule kno, chicken vindaloo is a non-Indian dish, invented for crap English people living with their mummies and daddies.
jamesll

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Se�or Hector, much appreciated.

Thinking about it, I would also add a good sense of humour. That seems to be lacking here as well.

J

ps I'm afraid we've just run out of Waldorfs.
lozwich

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: don't feel bad... Reply with quote

Hiya JamesII,

Let me say welcome to the Spain forum! As the newest contributing member, your initiation involves reading the entire 'movies in english' thread, and writing an insightful summary... Laughing

Have a great day!

Lozwich.
stillnosheep

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from Trafalmador of course I'd bring some women!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: