Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Current situation in Erbil Kurdistan???
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dorothy1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Current situation in Erbil Kurdistan??? Reply with quote

Anybody with comments regarding the current situation on the ground in Erbil, Iraq??? Any changes on daily life over the last month?
caliph

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, let's hear from someone on the ground there.

El Hobo, returnee2014, what's happening there?
Fareastbelfast

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Soran. We are all keeping a close eye on events, discussing possible evacuation plans, and engaging in gallows humour. None of us are panicking at the moment. Some other westerners in the region have left or have been told to leave, as far as I know. The military situation seems to have stabilised for now.
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess we're all getting 2-3 emails a day offering these jobs in Erbil.

Too funny.

I'm holding out for announcements of highly-paid openings in Donetsk and Lugansk (Ukraine).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
El Hobo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anyone who has left; nobody's particularly scared. We have a very easy gig here: good money, few hours and lots of holidays - nobody's going anywhere, at least until sh1t gets a little crazier.
Sirens of Cyprus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a very easy gig? So you are the spokesman for everybody in Erbil?
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if the ISIS starts to overrun the area are you going to be able to get out fast enough? Time to smell the roses and get out.
El Hobo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirens of Cyprus wrote:
We have a very easy gig? So you are the spokesman for everybody in Erbil?

Yes, I am the spokesman. Good day to you.

plumpy nut wrote:
What if the ISIS starts to overrun the area are you going to be able to get out fast enough? Time to smell the roses and get out.

They couldn't get close without us knowing and it's a very unlikely scenario. However, one or two getting in and spreading terrorism is a definite possibility.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assumed that you were speaking for your job site... not every expat in the area, but anyway... you and the rest of the expat teachers are close to the action and presumably you have all discussed it and are ready to go if you have to... Those that might have their families with them should probably leave if they can, but singles can make their own decisions. (are they doing family contracts there at all?)

VS
El Hobo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
I assumed that you were speaking for your job site... not every expat in the area, but anyway... you and the rest of the expat teachers are close to the action and presumably you have all discussed it and are ready to go if you have to... Those that might have their families with them should probably leave if they can, but singles can make their own decisions. (are they doing family contracts there at all?)

VS

Yes, I was of course speaking for those who I work with in Soran. We live in the mountains near Iran behind layers and layers of Peshmerga. Even if ISIS could speed completely unhindered towards us in their Humvees, it would take them three to four hours to arrive. It just won't happen, Soran is a natural fortress; the tops of each mountain have roads leading to them and clearings atop them from which the military defended the towns during the Iran-Iraq war. We're far from the action and although we're a little more jumpy than usual, we're quite confident we're safe.

There is only one expat family in Soran but I've never seen them as they work for the Sabis school. The Sabis school greets new teachers with false horror stories of rape and danger when they arrive so that they never go out and meet other teachers at other institutions and become dependent on the school. This prevents their teachers from learning that Sabis is an abomination and that they can be paid twice as much, work far fewer hours and be treated like human beings at another institution.

But I digress. All is well in Soran. I heard Erbil was a little tense, I imagine that tension is easing now.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Sabis continues its activities proving that they are one of the worst employers in the Middle East. Rolling Eyes For years, their only two positives have been that they will pretty much hire anyone... theoretically with a degree... and they have normally paid the pittance on time each month.

Let's hope that the Peshmerga manage to hold off the barbarians at the gate. Keep us informed when you can...

VS
returnee2014

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in SuliTown, which is still safer than your typical US city of comparable size.

It's no longer considered safe to travel to Erbil now though, not that I ever cared to.

Biggest complaint I hear coming out of people in Erbil is that they are inundated with refugees and public safety has declined somewhat. So you're more likely to get mugged for your wallet than abducted by d'ash (ISIS).

Kurdistan doesn't pay as well as Saudi, so if you're in it for the money, you might as well head there instead of Erbil. If you're coming for the better climate and secularism, then I suggest SuliTown over Erbil. My favorite feature here is the wide availability and low cost of quality fresh produce. Altho there are definitely fewer jobs here and at slightly less pay than Erbil.
returnee2014

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things heating up a little bit. Car bomb went off twenty minutes from here. Kurds openly discussing their anti-arab feelings in public places. Kirkuk heating up big time as Peshmerga interrogate Sunni refugee families about their political leanings. Many Kurds now using the derogative D'ash (Dowla Al-Islamia fi Iraq waSham), i.e. IS to refer to all Sunni Arabs. Xpats getting jumpy. Uni's getting negatively impacted by high schools around the country delaying graduation because they are housing refugees, i.e. classes canceled. Some concern that Baghdad won't come thru on promised funds owed to the KRG.

-Frog in the pot

Last edited by returnee2014 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
caliph

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even as the US has halfheartedly started bombing, (but NO NO NO boots on the ground) along with some useless coalition partners, the war is still not going so well in the west.

In Kurdish areas, I'd start considering my options.
coder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delete

Last edited by coder on Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: