Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you have moral qualms about working in the region?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Do you have moral qualms about working in the region? Reply with quote

Full disclosure.. I have not, do not and will not ever be working anywhere in the Middle East.

I understand--and don't object to!!-- people taking jobs there because the salaries are high..and because they are considered professional jobs that are good resume boosters as well. But I am wondering if anyone feels morally conflicted about working in a region where women, gays and non Muslims lack many basic rights. (Of course I know the region is vast and in some countries/areas things are more westernized and progressive so forgive me for stereotyping...but I put this in the general region forum to hear from people working in all areas of the region.)

Do you have the attitude that "I can't change their culture..but they pay me well to teach here so I do"?

Do you think by being there you can promote positive change in the region..especially if you are an educated woman and you teach women English?

Do you feel that by living there you develop a cultural understanding of the region (and the culture and religion) that can help the world "come together" and understand each other better?

Or are the human rights abuses we hear about in the media really not as severe as we (westerners who've never been to the region) think and/or more limited to certain countries than we think?

Thanks an advance for replies.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I had no qualms and still don't. What I learned arriving in the Middle East was that pretty much everything that the average American (can only speak for my own here) thinks that they know about this part of the world is perverted through the prism of our media distortions and government propaganda.

I'm not saying that there are not many things there that I disapproved of, but there are also a significant number of things in my own culture and country that could use improvement... often vast improvement. Also, there is huge variation between the different Middle East countries. So many read of the oddities of Saudi Arabia and think that it is all like that. The truth is that it is very much the outlier and the other Arabs dislike the idea of living there about as much as many of us do. I didn't work there because I didn't want to have a dress code and not be able to drive a car. In all of the other countries, there were none of those sorts of restrictions. While I dressed modestly to respect the local culture, it was merely a matter of longer skirts - which are more comfortable in the heat anyway - and sleeves to the elbow. I always had my own car soon after arrival and had full freedom of movement. In fact, I would say that I was in many ways more free in the Gulf than I was in the US because of the lack of crime and violence against women.

The fact is that the women are the bright stars academically, and I had both all female classes at some institutions, and sexually integrated classes in others. They have a completely different outlook on life than we do. I was shocked that they feel sorry for us... they are not yearning for our lifestyles. They know what they want, are getting educated, and with time will change their culture from within with any luck.

At no time did I feel that my life was restricted in the least because I wasn't Muslim... or because I was a female. And I think the fact that in the departments where I taught, the single Western male teachers were about 90% Gay, suggests that they felt in no danger or much restricted to be honest. But of course, for women and Gays, common sense must prevail and discretion is always important.

If you want to know what it is like... go there with an open mind and see that like any culture, it has pros and cons. I never felt that it was my job to change things except in our hopes as teachers that some of our students would go on to make things better for everyone in their country.

VS
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:19 am    Post subject: What country are you in? Reply with quote

That's all..thanks Smile. I will admit I was thinking of Saudi Arabia as my "standard".. just because I see posts for jobs there constantly and I very rarely see jobs posted for other countries; what I have seen is also usually presented as a volunteer project to help people in Afghanistan or Iraq.
rtm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Do you have moral qualms about working in the region? Reply with quote

lagringalindissima wrote:
But I am wondering if anyone feels morally conflicted about working in a region where women, gays and non Muslims lack many basic rights.

In the places I've worked in the Middle East, I never felt like I lacked basic rights because I am not Muslim. My wife never felt like she was denied basic rights because she is a woman. She held a job, was paid well, and had freedom to go and do whatever she wanted. I knew gay people, and they were fine as long as they didn't express their homosexuality in public (though, of course, they were not allowed to marry and could not get spousal benefits).

Quote:
Do you have the attitude that "I can't change their culture..but they pay me well to teach here so I do"?

Do you think by being there you can promote positive change in the region..especially if you are an educated woman and you teach women English?

Neither, really. I wanted to help my students to become critical thinkers. The institution I worked at was coeducational, and the majority of students were female.

Quote:
Do you feel that by living there you develop a cultural understanding of the region (and the culture and religion) that can help the world "come together" and understand each other better?

Or are the human rights abuses we hear about in the media really not as severe as we (westerners who've never been to the region) think and/or more limited to certain countries than we think?

I had no illusions I was going to help the world "come together", but I did develop a much better and more nuanced understanding of the local culture/religion that is helpful for interpreting what the media report.

Yes, there are some human rights abuses, such as workers who aren't paid and whose passports are kept by their employer so that the cannot leave the country. In some cases, it gets more complicated. I knew workers who were paid only $250/month for doing some pretty rough jobs. But, that's more than they would make in their home country, and by sending that money home, they were able to support their whole family and send their children to university.
The Fifth Column

Location: His habitude with lexical items protrudes not unlike a damaged pollex!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kept my compass on "True North" by daily reminding myself that the countries I lived in, as sovereign nations, had the right to conduct themselves as they saw fit within their own boundaries. My approval was not necessary or required. Did I agree with them? Not in a million years! But, I smiled at all their silly antics and survived.

The problem is they are incapable of accepting that when they are in other countries that they, too, must respect the sovereignty of their host nation and are constantly using their petro-dollars (or rather the cessation of the flow of petro-dollars) to change the policies of public & private institutions to suit their narrow-minded view of how to conduct themselves and how others are to conduct themselves.

I get it, though. Unstated non-Gulf Arab policies are to have them pump whatever they have under the ground while we keep the bulk of ours in reserve. When the threat of cessation of petro-dollars will broker them any more leverage, then...

...it'll be their collective "bucket challenge"! Laughing
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
No I had no qualms and still don't. What I learned arriving in the Middle East was that pretty much everything that the average American (can only speak for my own here) thinks that they know about this part of the world is perverted through the prism of our media distortions and government propaganda.

VS

I've yet to find any media distortions or government propaganda in the news concerning Saudi Arabia, however many of the details about the country are lacking in the news, which in of itself is a type of dishonesty. There have been books published however which tend to leak some of the unpleasant aspects of Saudi culture. There was a book I read that detailed how a Saudi princess who eloped with her lover was drowned in a swimming pool by the family at the behest of one of the family patriarchs. The lover was executed by a dull sword I believe. So there is stuff out there that gives you an idea of what this country is like.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A man has to eat ! "Erst kommt das Fressen, dann kommt die Moral !" (Bert Brecht)
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
veiledsentiments wrote:

VS

I've yet to find any media distortions or government propaganda in the news concerning Saudi Arabia, however many of the details about the country are lacking in the news, which in of itself is a type of dishonesty. There have been books published however which tend to leak some of the unpleasant aspects of Saudi culture. There was a book I read that detailed how a Saudi princess who eloped with her lover was drowned in a swimming pool by the family at the behest of one of the family patriarchs. The lover was executed by a dull sword I believe. So there is stuff out there that gives you an idea of what this country is like.

Yes, but this discussion is of the Middle East, not Saudi Arabia - you have fallen directly into the problem. I have already stated that they are the outlier and the biggest problem I find in the US is that when most people say "Middle East" they are only referring to Saudi and Israel, neither of which are representative. For instance, if you take say... Morocco and Afghanistan. Little or no comparison to either each other... or Saudi.

VS
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a nihilist and don't care.
Sydney2002

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi OP

I understand where you are coming from and I would not recommend the Gulf countries for you. Keep in mind though that the Middle East is NOT the Gulf.

My only experience in the M.E. has been in the Gulf and based on what you stated in your original post, your concerns (which I share), I would advise you to stay away from this region. But that does not mean you should avoid the entire Middle East.

And do not form your opinions of this part of the world based on the western media-- especially if you are living in the U.S.

All the best!
Gulezar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Mirror that Reply with quote

Quote:

Gulf students going to study abroad, outside the Gulf: "I can't change their culture, but they educate me well and I learn there, so I will study there."

Gulf female students: "I want to be an educated woman and learn English and promote positive change in the region." (They don't need me to tell them that.)

Myself: "I feel that by living here I can develop a cultural understanding of the region." (Full stop, don't be an imperialist about what will come of that understanding.)

All of us, I would hope: "Are the human rights abuses we hear about in the media really not as severe as we think and/or more limited to certain countries and individuals and that we should not judge an entire region or culture on the actions of a few individuals?"
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I came to Saudi Arabia, I came to teach English. I came to use the Communicative English method and help students learn to use and understand English. There is nothing immoral about that. English teachers in the Gulf can't be blamed for the ill-natured actions of somebody else. It's the bad qualities of the people in the region that are producing the problems, not me or any other teacher. The people in this region have over a long time been making their beds and the West is now more and more inclined to let them sleep in them.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P-nut,
"the bad qualities of the people in the region"

I see that you have a high regard for the locals!
The Fifth Column

Location: His habitude with lexical items protrudes not unlike a damaged pollex!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
P-nut,
"the bad qualities of the people in the region"

I see that you have a high regard for the locals!

I don't see "regard" I see 20-20 vision!
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing like a sweeping generalization to get the day off on the right foot. Very Happy

Regards,
John
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: