Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Input needed re: ESL teaching positions in the Middle East
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peachz4u

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Input needed re: ESL teaching positions in the Middle East Reply with quote

Hi, I'm a 50 year guy currently living in Vancouver, Canada. I'm thinking about making a career change and teaching ESL abroad, which is something that I've been considering for a long time. I have a BA in English and a minor in Communications, along with 20+ years of corporate experience including internal communications, project mgmt, and, most recently, change mgmt. I have a few questions I'm hoping some folks with experience can answer:

- I'm trying to determine whether CELTA certification is needed or whether another TEFL option would be okay? Some of the non-online TEFL courses are less expensive but I've heard the requirements for certain countries in the Middle East can be more stringent.

- Thoughts about working in Saudi vs. other Gulf States such as Bahrain, Oman, and of course UAE (i.e. living and working conditions, what's included in compensation packages/work contracts, realistic salary expectations and amount per month that can be saved, etc.)

- Is it possible to get a good contract in the UAE without any ESL teaching experience? (Would business experience offset this?)

- Typical start date (only/mostly September or???)

- How to identify recommended schools / places to teach at (and not); also organizations/placement agencies that are recommended and to be wary of

- What is the possibility of working with adults vs. children (especially due to business experience)?

- How much of a deterrent (if any) will my age be?

Any feedback from those in the know would be much appreciated!

Regards,
Andrew. Very Happy
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To qualify to teach children in the region's k-12 public and international schools, you'd need a teaching license from your state/province, in addition to a couple of years of pubic or private school teaching experience (relevant to your degree major) in your home country.

Employers recruiting teachers in the region won't find value in your business experience; they have plenty of expats and nationals to fill that need. They're interested in native English language skills and relevant teaching experience and academic qualifications. For instance, a TEFL-related MA plus 2-3 years of university-level TEFL experience is the standard for teaching adults in Kuwait, Qatar, and the UAE. Tiny Bahrain rarely advertises for teachers but also requires years of TEFL experience. There are language schools in the region, but they tend to hire locally.

In your case, your BA is fine for teaching adults in KSA and Oman; however, you lack both a TEFL qualification and experience. That pretty much nukes your chances for teaching in the region at this point.

That said, if TEFL is still sometihing you want to pursue, consider East and South East Asia, where many newbies go. South America and Eastern (non EU) Europe are also possibilities. Check out the country and region-specific forums and job ads on this site to see what type of quaifications/experience are needed.

Another option for work in the Middle East is to look at job sites like bayt.com and gulftalent.com to see if there are opportunities for non-education jobs in the region---those that better match your corprate experience.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlikely that you will get anything reasonable in ME until you have a CELTA or similar and 2+ years experience.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Input needed re: ESL teaching positions in the Middle Ea Reply with quote

Whoops!
peachz4u

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: ESL Teaching Positions in the Middle East Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who responded. Of course not the answers I wanted to hear but important to know where I stand in terms of planning my next steps.
hash

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: ESL Teaching Positions in the Middle East Reply with quote

peachz4u wrote:
Thanks to everyone who responded. Of course not the answers I wanted to hear but important to know where I stand in terms of planning my next steps.

There's another aspect to your posting that perhaps you haven't considered. I trust you will accept my comments in the spirit with which they are intended:

--Switching from a career in business to a career in teaching is WAAAAAY more than a simple career change.....it's a life-style change totally and completely up and down the spectrum of your working life, especially for someone in your age bracket.

In other words, it's not like you're changing from selling insurance to selling cars. It's more like selling insurance and then changing to a a career in the priesthood. Are you sure you have considered all aspects of such a drastic move?

In the US, you often encounter these sort of pie-in-the-sky and infantile ads usually aimed at retiring members of the Armed Forces urging them to "BECOME TEACHERS" "SAVE AMERICA'S YOUTH" and so on. implying - among other things - that it is the easiest thing to do.

When these teachers-to-be discover what it actually takes to become and more important, to remain a teacher, they cop out real fast. I've never known of a single case where this works out even in the medium term. A month or two, perhaps a semester or two, and out they go.

The world of business is known for it's down to earth approach in it's dealings whereas in teaching the daily schedule is usually characterized by an incredible amount of "silliness" that has to be endured. It's really hard for mature people, be they M or F, to adapt to this and put up with this approach month after month, year after year.

Just a word of advice.
water rat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was from Canada, and our age, I'd take advantage of living in a welfare state. Don't you guys get free everything there? Learn to live modestly. You could just rent a small apartment near the public library and low-cost supermarket and a bus line and you'd be set. Surely what I suggest is easier than getting the qualifications you need to teach abroad, and then the trouble of actually teaching students. Count your blessings. I'm a native of the cruel land south of your border. Do you know they're thinking of replacing 'In God We Trust' on our coins with 'Work or starve!'? Confused
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living on public assistance accomplishes nothing for the both the individual and the public. If you want to be unemployable and be forced to live off of public assistance for the rest of your life go ahead. What if the public assistance disappears? As far as "Work or Starve" in the U.S., it's actually work or be on the street, street people don't starve but actually are fed very well as long as they are willing to go to one of the myriad of missions that are around every sizable city. In the city where I am from there was and maybe still is a disabled or homeless, maybe both guy called "Tex". He always was a pugnacious, complaining porker always with probably equally worthless companions, but last time I saw him his weight exploded off of the charts from eating mission food, he was walking with a cane and might have diabetes now because of it. I remember him comparing missions and complaining that one particular mission the food wasn't fit for slopping pigs. Laughing
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear plumpy nut,

"As far as "Work or Starve" in the U.S., it's actually work or be on the street, street people don't starve but actually are fed very well as long as they are willing to go to one of the myriad of missions that are around every sizable city."

"Is Giving Food to the Homeless Illegal in Your City Too?
Last week, a 90-year-old vet got busted by cops for feeding the hungry. He's not alone."

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/11/90-year-old-florida-veteran-arrested-feeding-homeless-bans

Regards,
John
hash

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:

"Is Giving Food to the Homeless Illegal in Your City Too?
Last week, a 90-year-old vet got busted by cops for feeding the hungry. He's not alone."

Or, you could do THIS which is still legal everywhere, I believe.

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/high-end-dumpster-diving-matt-malone/

or this

https://www.yahoo.com/makers/it-workers-dumpster-diving-hobby-brings-2-500-a-110000053205.html

-------

Last edited by hash on Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: ESL Teaching Positions in the Middle East Reply with quote

peachz4u wrote:

How this got into the whole welfare debate, I don't know. But back to Mr Peachz, you are also getting close to the age cut-off for most Gulf countries.
Once you are 55 and over, the number of employers starts to decrease.

So, if you really want to try teaching, get the CELTA, and head to Asia to get some experience. Then start looking at Saudi Arabia again, as that is probably your best chance.

Another option that would look even better on your CV for the Gulf would be to go to a country like Morocco to get your CELTA. That gives you the plus of having experience with Arabic speakers. Egypt has settled down a bit and the British Council in Cairo used to offer the CELTA. (check the CELTA website to see where it is offered) Both countries are easy to get some teaching experience after completion, but you won't make much money. The cost of living is quite low, and you would probably need some financial backup at the beginning. (when I was a Fellow in Cairo, I had to bring in money for the first 6 months until I had gathered enough private students to supplement my income)

Just a thought...

VS
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear hash,

Not everywhere: "The laws for trespassing vary from place to place so it's best to check before you dive. In some cases, municipalities have pressed charges even when the owners of the dumpsters haven't wanted to. If you're not trespassing on someone's property you're generally safe, provided you're neat, you don't harass anyone and the dumpster is open. Trash in public for pick-up is considered not to be protected under privacy laws but trash on private property or locked up trash is protected--so don't trespass.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/list_6766864_laws-dumpster-diving.html

"When trash is not considered “abandoned” and it is still considered the private property of the trash can or dumpster owner then, obviously, taking all or part of that private property is theft. In some municipalities and states, there are specific theft laws punishing dumpster diving. Even if those laws don’t exist in a particular place, generic theft laws can be used against people who take someone else’s property whether it was in the house, in the yard, in his hands, in a trash container or anywhere else.
Look for city and state laws at http://law.justia.com/."

Regards,
John
water rat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Input needed re: ESL teaching positions in the Middle Ea Reply with quote

peachz4u wrote:
Hi, I'm a 50 year guy currently living in Vancouver, Canada. I'm thinking about making a career change and teaching ESL abroad, which is something that I've been considering for a long time. I have a BA in English and a minor in Communications, along with 20+ years of corporate experience including internal communications, project mgmt, and, most recently, change mgmt. I have a few questions I'm hoping some folks with experience can answer:

- I'm trying to determine whether CELTA certification is needed or whether another TEFL option would be okay? Some of the non-online TEFL courses are less expensive but I've heard the requirements for certain countries in the Middle East can be more stringent.

- Thoughts about working in Saudi vs. other Gulf States such as Bahrain, Oman, and of course UAE (i.e. living and working conditions, what's included in compensation packages/work contracts, realistic salary expectations and amount per month that can be saved, etc.)

- Is it possible to get a good contract in the UAE without any ESL teaching experience? (Would business experience offset this?)

- How to identify recommended schools / places to teach at (and not); also organizations/placement agencies that are recommended and to be wary of

- What is the possibility of working with adults vs. children (especially due to business experience)?

Regards,
Andrew. Very Happy
I am sorry if my earlier comments seemed to be off-topic. I merely meant to tell you nicely that your chances are slim, and to count your blessings.

Your age is a factor although it would be much less of one if you had quals and experience. Not that I am better than you, but I do have quals and experience, some in the Middle East even, I am about you age, and I could get a job in the region, but not in the UAE. Your other questions about which schools and what to expect are too large a subject. Every post on this forum is an answer to some branch of the great ever growing- every dying tree that is your question.
auhruh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Input needed re: ESL teaching positions in the Middle Ea Reply with quote

peachz4u wrote:

Regards,
Andrew. Very Happy

You'd be better off getting into the corporate training side of things which would exploit your real world experience instead of knowing how to teach the second conditional without referring to Azar.

I know a guy from Windsor who is earning 3000 AED a day in Abu Dhabi doing corporate training, armed with just a CELTA, but with 20 years HR experience in Canada. He is older than you, btw.

PM me if you want the company name.
peachz4u

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Clarification of my Expectations and Motivations Reply with quote

All,

I just wanted to clarify a few things as some of the responses I've received have come as a bit of a surprise to me.

First, I am grateful for everything that Canada offers. A comment was made stating that I should appreciate what I've got. Well, wanting a different life experience doesn't mean that I don't appreciate my life here or the work experience I've had up until this point.

Second, I realize that this would be a big change, so I wouldn't go into this thinking it would mirror my present day life or that it would be a cake walk in any way, shape, or form. I know there would be a lot of sacrifices and adjustments, and that teaching involves way more than just showing up in a classroom. And I'm not sure that the business world is always level-headed or logical; there are always "small 'p' politics to contend with. All in all, there are both pluses and minuses in any given situation.

I've always been interested in travel and other cultures -- I've visited 30 countries worldwide so far and would like to visit more. I've also spent extended periods of time away from home so this concept is not entirely new to me. I thought about going abroad and teaching English about 15 years ago but was given a very good job offer here, so I chose to stay at that time.

All this having been said, it does sound more difficult than I may have first realized, so I appreciate alternate suggestions like leveraging my corporate experience in a different type of job/role abroad. This type of feedback is very helpful and constructive. Comments about dumpster-diving -- to be perfectly honest -- less so!

Anything else -- please write back! I'm all ears at this point....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: