Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA... difficult??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
снеговик

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:37 am    Post subject: CELTA... difficult?? Reply with quote

What exactly is supposed to be difficult in the CELTA course. It seems to just be all about doing what another person (the tutor) suggests you do—in input or in lesson prep. The assignments can be done in a few hours and overall, you can just take materials right from the course books.

I don't understand what the big deal is. It's certainly easier than what most people make it out to be.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. You are expected to come up with original lessons and not just copy out of a textbook.

2. You are critiqued on your preparation, classroom management and attainment or non-attainment of the lesson objectives.

3. There is often a grammar module and a written exam that tests your language awareness.

4. There is a lot to do in the four weeks with tests, assignments, lesson preparation and self reflection.

Overall, it is a pretty comprehensive course (CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL) and if you want to get a good grade you need to work for it.
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also pretty damn intensive. I did mine in a group of 16, of which half of them had masters degrees, and of those with masters 2 had PGCEs as well. A fair number of the group had also had up to 5 years teaching experience each.

The PGCE students said CELTA was actually more difficult than the PGCE! Those with teaching experience said they've never had so much stress planning lessons as well!

...and there I was with 0 class experience (I had been teaching privately/online) and 0 proper planning experience... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Phillip Schofield

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware! Don't try and be smart whilst doing the CELTA. You basically need to do as your told and think how they tell you to think.

A colleague of mine attempted to incorporate Bloom’s Taxonomy into a lesson plan. The lesson plan was sound, but didn't follow the IH tutors grading matrix, so he was told that they would simply fail him unless he taught in their standardized teaching format.

CELTA can also be difficult if you've experience real teaching and real students (e.g. They teach you how to teach in an ideal situation, not a real world situation). However, I suspect that the courses differ depending on the location and tutors.
bharrell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ability to live on 5 hours of sleep for 3 weeks was the most important factor in my passing the CELTA. I was green as grass and had no teaching experience and they gave us more homework assignments than we could possibly do without giving up some sleep. It required commitment and endurance.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phillip Schofield wrote:
Beware! Don't try and be smart whilst doing the CELTA. You basically need to do as your told and think how they tell you to think.

A colleague of mine attempted to incorporate Bloom’s Taxonomy into a lesson plan. The lesson plan was sound, but didn't follow the IH tutors grading matrix, so he was told that they would simply fail him unless he taught in their standardized teaching format.

CELTA can also be difficult if you've experience real teaching and real students (e.g. They teach you how to teach in an ideal situation, not a real world situation). However, I suspect that the courses differ depending on the location and tutors.

What was he trying to do, exactly? Something to do with learning styles? Should not have been an issue. But perhaps the lesson just wasn't sound for other reasons..?
Phillip Schofield

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:

What was he trying to do, exactly? Something to do with learning styles? Should not have been an issue. But perhaps the lesson just wasn't sound for other reasons..?

I don't know what exactly he was trying to do, but he said that it didn't fall within their grading matrix, so they would have had issues with marking it.
I guess it's more difficult to check the box 'did teacher present a fixed practice activity' when the teacher uses a different system.

Although to be honest, I'm not entirely sure why they wouldn't be able to follow such a plan, as I can see ways to incorporate every traditional step of ESL teaching into the taxonomy.
I suspect the tutor probably couldn't be bothered to go through such a lesson plan and work out whether it met their criteria. If you have to check 20 teacher's lesson plans, I imagine they don't want anything which is going to result in them working longer than necessary.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. It sounds more like he was doing something irrelevant to language teaching then. Celta criteria are easy enough to meet. I can't see how a valid efl lesson plan wouldn't pass a Celta assessment. Much more likely this plan went off the rails somehow.

Could be wrong. But neither of us knows what his LP was.
Foma87

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my personal experience CELTA or any other special certification is not necessary, at least far the TEFL market in Moscow. No schools I know of demand them, just a university degree. It won't help you make any more money, either. It might prepare you better when first starting off, but it's nothing compared to real experience. You might be better off just volunteering at a community college for a month or so (and it's free). I've managed very well without one, don't feel it's held me back in the slightest, either. Others might argue otherwise, though.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure you have managed without it and good luck to you. The best things about the training are 1. you get feedback on your teaching, 2. you learn about different teaching approaches, and 3. you can identify areas to improve on with your tutor.
Phillip Schofield

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

currentaffairs wrote:
I am sure you have managed without it and good luck to you. The best things about the training are 1. you get feedback on your teaching, 2. you learn about different teaching approaches, and 3. you can identify areas to improve on with your tutor.

With a good DoS you can also achieve these things.
osen77

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the Celta is not really difficult. I did mine in Berlin a year ago, and there were no tests or homework like someone said. We had to do three papers if I remember correctly, but that wasn't so hard, they weren't academic level papers requiring lots of background reading and references, and if you messed up you could always resubmit. One of them was not even a paper, it was more in question and answer format. That being said it is intensive with the papers taking up most of your weekends, but the main issue I think is the pressure, having to teach in front of your tutor and 3-4 of your peers, who then critique you. Also, the lessons mostly came out of a course book, so they didn't require a lot of creativity, just teaching method, which you get a lot of advice about. So if you go in with a relaxed attitude, and you're the type who doesn't get stressed out too easily, it should be ok! If you already have some teaching experience, it should be a breeze. In my group all were novice teachers, and everyone did ok.
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

osen77 wrote:
I think is the pressure, having to teach in front of your tutor and 3-4 of your peers, who then critique you.

This was actually the least of my worries doing CELTA! But then I have an arts background, so I was used to being watched/criticised by then!
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-reading the original post, I think the OP is currently on the course and apparently finding it fairly easy, though it's interesting that s/he hasn't returned to continue reporting. Got too busy, perhaps....

Anyway, it's true that many people aren't happy with the critique bits - not that common for most trainees to be used to it from other endeavors.
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="spiral78"
Anyway, it's true that many people aren't happy with the critique bits - not that common for most trainees to be used to it from other endeavors.[/quote]

True that. I was fortunate enough to be in a group where most had teaching experience and were used to critiques. Being involved in the arts proved useful for something!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: