Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

crisis - army step in?/water shortages
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: crisis - army step in?/water shortages Reply with quote

Whatever

Last edited by Whatever will be on Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that turning it over to the military isn't a bad idea. I wonder what the cause of the shortage is. Water plant down?

VS
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever

Last edited by Whatever will be on Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll move your other article over here and report the other to the MODs for removal.

http://www.timesofoman.com/News/52756/Article-Sunday-Beat-Who-is-to-blame-for-water-crisis-in-Oman#.VXNWlw07fFY.facebook

No need for two threads on the same non-education related topic.

VS
madrileno

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've friends in Ghala who've been without water for 10 days!

I feel particularly bad for anyone stuck in Muscat for all or most of Ramadan. It's going to be long, painful slog without water according to this article:

http://www.timesofoman.com/News/52599/Article-Water-nightmare-to-haunt-Omans-capital-city-residents-this-summer
balqis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the deep provinces we also experience regular power cuts along with water shortage, due to overheating of the electricity lines, and this due to excessive use of AC.

balqis
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the major problems with overuse of electricity was that they keep places WAY too cold. I remember that my students would rush late into class and immediately walk to the thermostat and turn it to coldest possible setting. I had to make it a rule that NO ONE but me touch it. Just because it is 45 degrees outside doesn't mean that we need a temperature for the refrigeration of meat inside. I already had to carry a jacket all summer because it was so danged cold inside every university building and shop. Rolling Eyes

Sensible usage would greatly reduce the outages. But their "me first" attitude makes educating people to use the systems sensibly is pretty much impossible. I did at least educate my students about how a thermostat and HVAC system worked. (probably didn't much help)

VS
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatever

Last edited by Whatever will be on Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would have never considered any job out in the villages of Oman... or any other Gulf country. I had plenty of the power/water issues during the years that I lived in Cairo, so I know all about it and knew that I preferred to avoid them.

As far as internet issues, that has always been around and is sadly common in many of the countries that TEFL teachers go to...

It sounds like it is time for you to head back to the "first world" so that you don't have to deal with any of this. You have been unhappy since the day you got to Oman and have had what appears to be a uniquely negative experience...

VS
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever

Last edited by Whatever will be on Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
balqis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience of working for the government colleges, the retention rate there is low. After doing one year a lot of people simply leave. And also a lot of them leave after a few months. Where I was, the hiring was ongoing.

In most colleges in Muscat, the faculty is Indian. Indians will agree to all conditions. One of such colleges once offered me a job. I was to be the first white skin amongst their faculty. My salary was to be higher by some 400-500 Or than the rest of the salaries there. i was asked not to reveal my salary to anyone of my colleagues-to-be.

balqis
omanoman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Whatevs,

parts of your experience may not be unique.

What is not as common however, is your particular knack for embellishment, pessimism and apparent surplus of sour grapes.

I will bet that most people who post and view here have seen and experienced the same and worse coming from the many far flung regions of the world. But they don't whinge about it as you seem to be quite keen to do.....and then delete all your posts.

The board is chock full of caution, experienced advice, supposition and downright hyperbole at times. Actually, the voices in the minority are the more positive ones, mostly because the happier people don't bother posting about the good times - they just carry on enjoying them.
travelbug66

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with you. Happy, well adjusted, positive people who are enjoying their lives in Oman, or anywhere else for that matter are unlikely to frequent this website. The amount of negative posting here is extremely high.
Having tried and failed in Saudi - it is quite disheartening to read a whole bunch of negatives about Oman.
So once I arrive in the fall, I will do my utmost to be positive, enjoy a good social life and keep busy.
Oman is not Saudi Arabia !! That's my mantra !!
balqis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pessimism is noble, has always been the source of major religions for its content, depth and clarity. An intelligent man can't and shouldn't be happy.

Hope you are doing all right Whatever-will-be.

balqis
madrileno

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

travelbug66 wrote:
I would agree with you. Happy, well adjusted, positive people who are enjoying their lives in Oman, or anywhere else for that matter are unlikely to frequent this website. The amount of negative posting here is extremely high.
Having tried and failed in Saudi - it is quite disheartening to read a whole bunch of negatives about Oman.
So once I arrive in the fall, I will do my utmost to be positive, enjoy a good social life and keep busy.
Oman is not Saudi Arabia !! That's my mantra !!

It depends on where you'll be in the Sultanate, but for the most part your experience here will be vastly better to what you had in the Tragic Kingdom.

You can take the negative testimonies here with a grain of salt. The same can be said of those that paint an impossibly rosy picture.

It was one of those impossibly positive posts which lead me to accepting my first position here in Oman. It was awful! The only good thing thing that came out of it was serving to get my foot-in-the-door into the Gulf.

In all, go with at least an emergency fund in the bank so if your situation isn't good, you can get out fast and easily...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: