Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are the current tips/caveats for MoE colleges?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yaramaz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:43 am    Post subject: What are the current tips/caveats for MoE colleges? Reply with quote

I've been following the Oman forums for years, as the tech colleges have been on my radar for about a decade but I always found myself elsewhere. I'm looking again because I'm about to start my MA and want to be somewhere a bit less distracting/chaotic/crowded than Vietnam or China (where I've been for the past 5 years).

I have been to Oman and know a few of the towns as a tourist passing through. What I'm curious about is the current state of the colleges and living conditions in the 7 colleges. For the record, I'm married (we're both applying to the MoE) and have a toddler.

When applying, they ask you to rank the schools according to your preference. I personally like Nizwa, the town, but have heard iffy things about the school. Never been to Shinas or Al Mussanah. Passed through Ibri/Ibra- can't remember much about them other than a fort and a lot of sandy coloured everything. Not sure where the 7th college is- from their website it looks like it might be in Muscat?

Any thoughts?
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever

Last edited by Whatever will be on Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
yaramaz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we are bringing a toddler. He's currently doing well in the heat and madness that is Hanoi. In the past, I've spent a lot of time (20 years now) living in conservative bits of Turkey, China and other not-so-developed countries. I've spent time in the Gulf (and traveled around Oman during ramadan) so not going into this blindly.

Also, are you describing all of the locations or certain ones in particular? I've spoken to people in places like Nizwa and Salalah and things have really improved in the past decade.
stanggg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life in Oman can be what "whatever will be" suggests. It can be better too. I live in Buraimi and we have had water and electricity, no fear of cyclones here.....unless you are afraid of the temperature going down. My internet always works. Ramadan is a bummer if you want to go out and eat during the day, but not so bad.
yaramaz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've dealt with about 7 ramadans now, all in hot/conservative places (middle of Turkey, Oman, Morocco) so know how to pace myself. Sometimes I fast too, just because, well, when in Rome.

As for everything that the now deleted post above addressed... why would it be considered an unusually stressful effort to get a place to live, sort out the work permit, sort out internet, etc? I've had to do that in a lot of bureaucratic, chaotic countries- it can take time and is frustrating but it's to be expected and you deal with it. I'm looking to find out what exactly needs to be considered about the individual locations to see if they might realistically be a good fit or not. I'm not expecting a plush job in Dubai with a villa- I know the MoE gigs are a lot more challenging. Until I finish the MA, my options are more limited and I'm trying to find the best option, given the limitations.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never taught for the MoE just the MoHE but Nizwa is an ok location. Musannah is only an hour (by car) away from Muscat and close to the sea and a nice resort. I've not heard of any on-campus accommodation but it's easy to rent although rented is normally unfurnished and without a/c so you would need some start up money.
Tazz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many EFL jobs locations are going to drop you in the middle of the desert, in the Omani interior-with pressure from the recruiter to find a place and completely furnish it within a matter of days? Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that no financial assistance is given-beyond half a months salary-which will pay for 1-2 months rent and have you surviving on chicken and rice til your first pay check.....so this isn't unusually stressful is it? And is to be expected? How many expats relocating to a new location will tolerate this. Very few. Which is why the MOM colleges are largely staffed by non-native speakers who have very little choice....
yaramaz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to finish contracts with more than enough savings to comfortably set up in the next one. That's the sensible thing to do.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yaramaz wrote:
I tend to finish contracts with more than enough savings to comfortably set up in the next one. That's the sensible thing to do.

You'd be amazed at the number of 'teachers' I've seen arrive in Oman with virtually no money....
yaramaz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, then, I guess things are harder for them. It's always precarious arriving somewhere you're not prepared for.

When we moved to Hanoi, we had to do a flat hunt by ourselves and paid for 6 months upfront. Sorted out our visas without much help from school (my husband is a DoS). Sorted out phones and internet on our own. Same was in China and in Turkey. The only thing I'm hesitant about is having to furnish a place before even getting settled into a job- I have had mostly furnished places, except in my last 3 years in Turkey, when I was pretty established already. Also need to consider getting a nanny- the agencies are in Muscat, not sure about elsewhere.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yaramaz wrote:
Also need to consider getting a nanny- the agencies are in Muscat, not sure about elsewhere.

Easy to find a nanny, just advertise on a noticeboard at any of the supermarkets. Filipinas are good.
yaramaz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That's great to hear. It's been tricky here in Hanoi. Nannies can be a bit flaky and unreliable, sometimes just not showing up without warning. We've got a lovely babysitter for a few days a week but no one full time (I work part time for now). I'll need a full time one if we are both working.
balqis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to deep provinces of Oman, first I would strongly suggest to send your husband there, say 2 weeks before you arrive, and ask him to find, furnish, ac and fix in terms of plumbing and water delivery the flat. And test it afterwards to see if it is habitable, and what the neighbours are like in real terms.
Then you can go yourself with the child. Make sure your husband has enough money to spend the two weeks in a hotel, if there is one in the area, and not everywhere there is one.

If there is a hotel in the area, you might also go there with your husband, to assist him - as it were - emotionally, but make sure you have enough money to spend enough time in the hotel until you find and prepare for a living a decent flat, and the hotel is decent enough for mother and child.
Make sure your child can manage the shock of Oman in August.

Best would be to apply through an agency, which offers housing, furnished, ac-ed and with maintenance.

balqis

Last edited by balqis on Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
yaramaz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which agencies help with housing? We've applied with TATI and GlobNet so far. We're both doing our MAs (distance) and husband has his DELTA so we're limited in our options compared to those with completed MAs.

EDIT: D'oh- guessing you mean estate agency?
balqis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Nawa doesn't. I think TATI does [ now we know from Tazz it doesn't either!].
About Globnet I don't know - I think I heard they don't but I am not sure.
Hawthorn does, but it is for MoHE, CAS colleges, so a different Ministry.

Avoid like hell a situation that a proper flat is not provided for you from day one, being a female and having a small child.

balqis

ps. No, I mean an agency that recruits teachers for the colleges, like TATI or Al Nawa. Some agencies provide housing, some not, giving you money instead. Good for a penny-pinching single male, or doable with great difficulty for a male in general, but not for you with a small child.

By the way, Hawthorn, an agency which recruits for CAS MoHE, does employ teachers with B.A. degrees. And they provide housing proper, well proper in terms of the deep rural areas in Oman. But it is furnished, ac-ed, you will have TV and kitchen done.

Last edited by balqis on Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:38 am; edited 4 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: