Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American, Bachelor's degree, TEFL holder...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommyp32

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: American, Bachelor's degree, TEFL holder... Reply with quote

Which European countries should I consider as possibilities for teaching English, and which ones should I nix straight away?

A little more information, I got my certification in Prague and did teach there for a little bit, unfortunately I wasn't the most intelligent financially and decided to go home before I got too broke in a foreign country.

At home I have substitute taught for a couple years, but I am not a full fledged teacher here.

I do know that Americans have better luck finding employment in the Eastern Bloc than they do in the West.

However, I also know I am no expert in the matter and so, here I am.
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offence, but don't even bother.

No one in the EU is going to hire an American on their own expense as an English teacher. They have Irish and Brits for that who have freedom of movement. And even for them it's hard to find a job across the EU (at least in my experience it's been in a challenge). Plus requirements are usually relatively high e.g. Masters, X years of experience, profiecieny in the local language (Switzerland is notorious for this) etc.

I do know of at least 2 Americans who did teach English in the EU, but 1 of them was a Masters student in Italy and another went via a different route (not sure what exactly, but it was costly, time consuming and involved flying to Washington a couple of times)
sparks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why someone would tell you you can't get jobs in the EU. Western Europe is nearly impossible--true. Germany is a possibility and the East is quite possible. Poland, Czech, Slovakia etc. It's getting a bit more difficult but you can still find schools which will sponsor visas or find a way to get you set up.
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparks wrote:
Not sure why someone would tell you you can't get jobs in the EU. Western Europe is nearly impossible--true. Germany is a possibility and the East is quite possible. Poland, Czech, Slovakia etc. It's getting a bit more difficult but you can still find schools which will sponsor visas or find a way to get you set up.

Why should an EU country go through the hassle and expense of hiring an American when there are 1) highly qualified locals within the country and nearby and 2) 2 countries (UK and Ireland) full of native speakers and have no red tape in order to hire them?

It'd be like a Brit trying to go to the US to teach English as a second language - it just wouldn't happen. There's hundreds of millions of Americans to fill such positions, why would they go through such bureaucracy to hire a Brit?

Of course there are exceptions like with everything else in life, but in general...forget it.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an American who's taught in the EU since 1998......

....sparks is correct. There are jobs in Central/Eastern Europe, and Germany is possible though difficult. Western EU isn't a viable option unless you marry a local.

Downside is that it's mostly all fairly similar to Prague in terms of up-front costs and less-than-stellar pay. One option is to choose a smaller city or town, though there are lifestyle differences, obviously.

There are some 'better' jobs around; working directly for a corporation, DOS, teacher trainer, occasional niche gigs. These require local contacts, reputation, and language skills, so it takes time to work your way into them.

Timing is important in the region. You need to be at the first of September or late August, with enough money to support yourself for a couple of months at least. Few reputable employers will hire from abroad - there are enough teachers around so that they don't have to take chances on someone sight-unseen.

It doesn't hurt to send your CV around in advance, but don't be concerned if no-one responds.
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Few reputable employers will hire from abroad - there are enough teachers around so that they don't have to take chances on someone sight-unseen.

Exactly my point. And I did stress that there are exceptions to everything.

Maybe I should start applying for work in the US then Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not about exceptions - there are literally thousands of non-EU teachers in the Central European region.

It's exceptional to get a gig in Western Europe as a non-EU teacher (I know a handful).
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't agree with it.

There must be a degree of fraud somewhere, given visa restrictions and all that.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's perfectly legal. It is a hassle to some degree, but employers and non-EU teachers regularly go through it. There are numerous Americans at the schools where I work; it's not any serious problem to get permits.

We partner with a large group of universities across the entire continent - all can get visas for US citizens excepting the handful of Western European ones.

Last edited by spiral78 on Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
No, it's perfectly legal. It is a hassle to some degree, but employers and non-EU teachers regularly go through it. There are numerous Americans at the schools where I work; it's not any serious problem to get permits.

Yet the opposite is hardly true.

Gotta love the US of A...
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but none of these Americans and Canadians would get jobs in the UK (or Ireland). It's fair enough.

C'mon, you don't want to teach in the US anyway. Nor do I.
sparks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiral and I are just stating facts about the region that we both (I believe) have been living and teaching in for well over a decade. In Poland schools away from the cities will often hire Americans as it can be difficult to find people to go to smaller towns. Warsaw, though also has plenty of American teachers.
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparks wrote:
Spiral and I are just stating facts about the region that we both (I believe) have been living and teaching in for well over a decade. In Poland schools away from the cities will often hire Americans as it can be difficult to find people to go to smaller towns. Warsaw, though also has plenty of American teachers.

I'm not disputing your facts.
tommyp32

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information so far. I am well aware that Western Europe is very difficult too get into, though I do know the central and eastern countries are possible as I did work in Prague for a short time. Now, whether or not I could have gotten a job in Prague while not in country I really don't know.

So I do think I should focus on the east (though I am interested in seeing how this crisis in Greece may effect that down the road). Of those Eastern Bloc countries though, which ones would you suggest?

I do care about pay, but I'm thinking the differences are negligible if any. Another concern is how easy it is to assimilate, how friendly are the locals, the general attitude towards Americans? And going a bit further East, is the Russian Federation a viable option in its current climate?
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post on the Russia thread; it's really a different animal from the rest of the continent. There are still plenty of teachers there, of course. Ukraine isn't really a place to recommend at the moment, but Russia itself is relatively stable.

Greece has been a no-go for non-EU citizens since the Schengen zone was instituted, and this is highly unlikely to change (even if they drop out of the euro - unlikely- this doesn't imply that they will leave the EU or the Schengen zone). The economy also has implications for teachers, obviously.

Post also on the Germany board; it's tough to make a living but possible.

Poland, Czech Rep, Slovakia are the most likely candidates, I think, outside of Russia. Hungary's economy is in the toilet, Austria's a very small job market and more like Western Europe in terms of visa requirements. Croatia/Slovenia and surroundings have a (very) few jobs.

So far as assimilation: most students in the region are adults, they have their own lives, and a new English teacher isn't all that exciting as a possible new friend these days. The old 'shine' that someone had from the West 20 (or even 15) years ago has long worn off. Most people's first social networks are other expats, and it's usual to grow a base of local friends over time. As an American, you're not at a disadvantage over anyone else, but you're nothing super-special by definition, either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: