Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Perceptions about Prep Year Programs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Perceptions about Prep Year Programs Reply with quote

The purpose of preparation year programs is twofold in bridging the knowledge gap for high school grads. The PYP is intended to 1) prepare them for university studies, and 2) boost their language skills in order to study and communicate in English.

For those interested in how students feel about English PYPs, see The Value and Attributes of an Effective Preparatory English Program: Perceptions of Saudi University Students:

(Excerpt)
Quote:
Over 85% of Saudi university students who participated in the survey responded that they believe preparatory year English programs are necessary. Likewise, 67-77% of the participants responded favorably to Q17, indicating that they were satisfied with their English language program.

For Q2, whether or not most high school graduates in KSA need one full year of an English preparatory year program, responses varied significantly in Riyadh at University B and in the northwest of Saudi Arabia at University A. In the northwest of the kingdom, 84% of the female students indicated they believed a full year of English was necessary whereas only 64% of their male counterparts agreed—a very statistically significant difference. In Riyadh, it was almost the opposite, with only 48% of the female students indicating they thought a full year was needed and 76% of the male students demonstrating their belief that a full year is needed. However, since there were only 17 female respondents in Riyadh compared to 103 male respondents, results from the female campus in Riyadh tend to be inconclusive. Looking to University C in Jeddah, we see that the results are much more similar to University A with 84% of the female students indicating their belief that a full year is needed and 78% of the male students in Jeddah concurring.

Makkah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they cheated in the survey Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
".. the results of this large-scale study were nonetheless conclusive...."

Really? REALLY?? One survey, repeated zero times throughout the year, for only one year's intake is hardly conclusive! I'd expect the students to have to complete the questionnaire at least once per semester, and for this process to be repeated for at least two years' intake. The survey was probably conducted at the beginning of the year, when few of the respondents actually knew anything about their PYP program or university. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
"Saudi students were given three questions asking them whether (Q3) the book, (Q4) the teacher, or (Q5) the student is the most important factor in good language learning. Students responded almost unanimously across the kingdom, indicating their belief that the teacher is the most important key to their success as language learners."

This is not a surprise, since many students seem to be under the impression that if the teacher is good enough they don't have to put in any work.
'Learning By Osmosis - The Saudi Way.'

The conclusion, that Saudi high school students receive a lackluster (at best) education, is noble but completely unrelated to most of the the research.

D- Must try harder.
revilo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I think most students cheated on the survey.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reflect on the fact that my students in Saudi Arabia had some success in learning and using a complex and difficult foreign language. I see little evidence of this among students in the Anglosphere.

Last edited by scot47 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saudi PYPs are principally a form of welfare (of direct wealth redistribution). State education is usually only an indirect form of wealth redistribution because students aren't directly given money, but Saudi pre-freshmen at PYPs are paid - and they can simply do as they please with this money. PYPs are at best a half-hearted effort by the Saudi government to make their young people more employable. However, wealth redistribution is the principle purpose of a PYP, and generally the purpose of wealth redistribution is to encourage support for the prevailing regime.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the heat of the moment wrote:
Quote:
"Saudi students were given three questions asking them whether (Q3) the book, (Q4) the teacher, or (Q5) the student is the most important factor in good language learning. Students responded almost unanimously across the kingdom, indicating their belief that the teacher is the most important key to their success as language learners."

This is not a surprise, since many students seem to be under the impression that if the teacher is good enough they don't have to put in any work.

Which study did you pull that conclusion out of? Rolling Eyes

scot47 wrote:
I reflect on the fact that my students in Saudi Arabia had some success in learning and using a complex and difficult foreign language.

That reflects my PYP students as well. Plus, they were taking science, math, and statistics classes in English concurrently with their EFL classes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
In the heat of the moment wrote:
Quote:

Which study did you pull that conclusion out of? Rolling Eyes

You make it sound as though I claimed that as being the product of research, even though I used language which, surely to almost anyone, would understand it as being a personal observation.

nomad soul wrote:
scot47 wrote:
I reflect on the fact that my students in Saudi Arabia had some success in learning and using a complex and difficult foreign language.

That reflects my PYP students as well. Plus, they were taking science, math, and statistics classes in English concurrently with their EFL classes.

Students studying more than one subject at once is hardly unusual or impressive. Damning with faint praise?
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my teaching career I was around a bit

i can honestly say that KFUPM was where I found some of the best students I ever encountered, anywhere. And I am talking about the PYP.

Last edited by scot47 on Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
leggeymountbatten

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, students at Kfupm are not particularly impressive.
There is a lot of dross.

I have worked at other (technical) colleges in the Kingdom, and found the same or better.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A joke I heard from a Saudi student;

"How can you tell whether someone is studying at KFUPM? Don't bother, they'll tell you."

Apparently the students aren't too popular with those of other universities, because of their feelings/illusions of superiority. Overall KFUPM ranks #173 worldwide, although it ranks very high compared to other Arab universities it isn't as high as the universities many Saudis study in abroad.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of people with delusions in KSA Not all are Saudis

Last edited by scot47 on Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
leggeymountbatten

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kfupm describes itself as "the top university in the Middle East."

Self delusion is a wonderful thing.

Students tend to dine out on it.
leggeymountbatten

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Lots of people with delusions in KSA Not all are Saudis."

The drink helps!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Overall KFUPM ranks #173 worldwide, although it ranks very high compared to other Arab universities it isn't as high as the universities many Saudis study in abroad.

Which has zip to do with male and female students' perceptions about university PYPs. Plus, these programs aren't included as criteria in academic rankings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: