Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

newbie, cairo in the fall
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sara.ede

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: newbie, cairo in the fall Reply with quote

I have a BA in Anthropology/Archaeology, one year of grad school, one summer of ESOL teaching and TESOL through SIT. Any suggestions on good schools for a newbie like me in Cairo?

Sara
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any particular reason why Cairo?? Although it is not so well known, Alexandria is less polluted, less crowded and in general I think it's a whole lot nicer.
Just thought I'd give you another option!!!! If you want, I can help you out with some contacts here. Just let me know!
sara.ede

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No particular reason. I actually started to think about Alexandria this weekend so would defintely appreciate some advice along those lines as well....

Sara
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sara,

I'll let Sekhmet (our resident Alex guru Smile ) fill you in on the pros of going to Alex.

Personally I prefer Cairo, but it is an acquired taste. Depending on your interests as far as your BA in anth/arch, Cairo may have more to offer in that area. In ancient Egyptian terms, there are many more sites near Cairo. (and that was my interest) I can't really help out with possible employers at your level in Cairo, but there are many language schools.

VS
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Alex is definitely my favorite of the two, and even if there are no pyramids, it still has one of the most amazing underwater archeological sites there is... Cleopatra's palace and all!!
I've spent a fair bit of time in Cairo, and it just doesn't seem as nice (or safe...). Around here, because the city is kinda small, everyoneis very friendly, and they tend to want to talk to you rather than persuade you to buy things!! Plus, I have no qualms about walking the streets of Alex up to 2am, although I wouldn't necessarily like to be on my own doing it!!
There are also loads of really good schools here - because there aren't that many expats up here, pretty much every school wants their own foreign teacher! Places like Amideast are good - you can get quite a lot of hours, but they're mostly in the evening - wonderful for someone like me!!!
Other than that, I guess I like it better because it was the first place I went. Ok, so it's still noisy, crowded and polluted, but it just seems less so than Cairo. Granted, I guess it all depends where you go in Cairo, though!!!
Hope that helps some...
sara.ede

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does. Is it common to find schools that will reimburse you for your international flight? The reason that I started considering Cairo was because the advertisement for the Sakkara school said it would.

Sounds like Cairo/Alexandria has a similar relationship that Nairobi/Mombasa has and I definitely felt safer and happier in the smaller city.

Thanks for the info.
Sara
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El afw ya Sara!!

I just have a niggling suspiscion that Saqqara school has been mentioned in a somewhat unfavorable light somewhere on this forum. Sorry, I didn't do a search to actually find out, but I do remember that!!

In terms of flights, I'm not sure there are many schools anywhere in Egypt that will provide them. Or accommodation either. However, rent and living expenses are really low (probably lower in Alex, but that's just my impression), and I can routinely get by on less than �100 per month, including going out for meals and ordering in on a regular basis.

VS, just out of interest, was "Otlob" up and running when you were here? That site is a lifesaver for Alex and Cairo!!!! (www.otlob.com)

Sara, good luck, and if you do find out any info about Saqqara, let me know!!!
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - the bad press about Sakkara seems to be on the Job Information Journals. I knew I'd seen it somewhere!!!
sara.ede

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright...so what month would you suggest coming to Egypt? Is it possible to get summer jobs and would I actually melt if I came during the summer. As you can see from my pic I am one of those exceptional white-ass white girls.

How strong is the job market there for ESL? I guess I am a little nervous about flying that far without a job set up and have thought about Mexico but feel like thats too easy almost and I'm really interested in living an another Muslim African country.
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I'm very definitely a white-ass too!!!!! I survived last summer, but I think I would have had problems in Cairo (too much dry heat - lots of burning...). In terms of when to come, it all depends on what kind of school you want to teach at. Summer schools are available, but it's completely different to China!!! Basically the schools set up their own courses, although some are run by companies.

Finding jobs with adult language schools is pretty easy with a TEFL and a BA. There are lots of them around Alex, and they're a good stepping stone for getting private students. Kids schools might be a little more difficult, but there is still a high demand for EFL. I generally advise people to come out and just look around.

I do have some contacts - but unfortunately none in Cairo. I'll let VS give you some info on that!!!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodness, you two have been busy. Smile

I am another member of pasty white brigade. Alex is a bit cooler than Cairo as it is on water, but then you also have more humidity. They are both pretty miserable in the summer if you are in a pay scale that doesn't allow AC (which is language school pay scale).

Sekhmet: was oblob.com on line when I was there? Excuse me for laughing hysterically, but there was not only no internet when I first went there to live, the scarce computers were DOS and we used Wordstar!! Probably before your birth?? That is when we teachers took off to foreign countries totally ignorant of what we were getting into. (and btw, for we true ancient Egyptophiles, everything in Alex is 'modern' - Greeks and Romans being modern times on this scale. Smile)

Sara: At your education and experience level, you are almost always on your own getting to the country and finding accomodations. You don't start getting decent benefits in this field until you have an MA and/or years of related experience.

I think Alex would be a very good place for you to start. You can always go to Cairo later on. AMIDEAST is a good employer and Sekhmet could help you out a bit at that end. Once you get the system in Egypt down, you can expand your horizons.

As to the month to go, I would avoid the summer if you could. It will be hot and Alex is very crowded in the summer because every Egyptian that can afford to travels there. JMHO, but I think settling into the country and system is easier when the city is a bit quieter. (not that Egypt is ever quiet)

Good Luck

VS
sara.ede

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So would mid August be good to find something for the fall semester? Or even later in the year? My plan was to start teaching no later than sept. and Im just wondering how much time I need to give myself to find something.

Sara
Thank you both by the way for all your help.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sekhmet... should Sara send off a CV to AMIDEAST for September? Or is it too early? Or should she just show up in mid August (makes me sweat jus thinking of it... Smile ) and apply in person?

VS
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS, sorry!!!!!!! I think I was just around by that stage, but probably only as an anklebiter.... Well, it's a really good site, and if you come back it's definitely worth playing with!!!
Actually, I remember the old ZX84's - that was my first computer when I was about 8.... the ones with the carbon printers?? My eyes still water thinking about them...

Anyway..... I first got here in May, and it was warm then. It really does start to get unpleasant round about July/August, and you need to carry a large supply of tissues and have regular access to shower facilities!!! Noit very pleasant...

In terms of Amideast, let me ask my housemate (she isn't here right now, but she works there and is very much in the know - I might be able to persuade her to give you some email addresses...)

Actually, July is the time to be here for Amideast - they have the best Independence Day parties (even for those of us who aren't American!!). It seems like a really nice place to work, but as I said, it's pretty much only in the evenings. I'll see what I can do about contacts with them, because they are well staffed at the moment, but even if they don't have anything available, there are lots of other places in Alex!!!

If I was you, Sara, I'd come a bit sooner - if only for a chance to get acclimatised before the real heat starts!! Coming in May suited me perfectly, especially since I was first here in February, and it was freezing!! Thre are summer schools around, but you have to do some legwork while you're here for them - Amideast does have a program, as does the Academy, and many of the smaller schools, but they normally use their regular teachers.

Sorry - stupidly long post again....... Embarassed
sara.ede

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I absolutely appreciate all of the information. This is a whole new experience I am starting and the more informed I am the better off I'll be.

Another question. If I were to come in, well it would probably be early June rather than May. would that work do you think? Also, I am currently in the process of saving money in order to pay for flights, student loans while gone etc. Besides those expenses which I already know how to budget for, do you have any suggestions for the quantity USD I should have available to me to supplement my income? I know this is a really general question but I dont know a whole lot about the economy of Egypt at the moment. An estimate on the high end would be good but please no`"as much as possible blah blah". I'd love a ballpark figure if possible.

Sara
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: