Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NZ Dip Teaching costs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moot point

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: NZ Dip Teaching costs Reply with quote

Hi. I'm interested in immigrating with my family to NZ. I'm a Canadian with a BSc. in Geophysics/Geography, have over ten years English teaching experience in Japan and hold an MA in TESL from a UK university.

I was disappointed to read about the lack of ESL jobs in New Zealand so was wondering if it would be worth getting a Dip. for Teaching and then pursuing work through that route? Any thoughts?

Also, I would like to know if you have any information on the differences in the cost of taking the course as an international student or as a resident. In California, for example, even if you are an international student but lived in the state for more than one year (I think) you can apply to a university and only be charged the state fees as opposed to international fees. Does the same system apply in NZ?

Finally, any recommendations on where to live / which schools to apply to?
sojourner

Location: nice, friendly, easy-going (ALL) Peoples' Republic of China

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MP,

Open the web page for the Christchurch College of Education ( http://www.cce.ac.nz/ ). If you can't find any links to info re fees, send the College a message. The college is less than one mile from the University of Canterbury, and about four miles, or so, from Christchurch, itself.There are other Colleges of Education, in NZ, but Christchurch is probably the most pleasant city in the country. Also, do a search for the Dunedin College of Education - Dunedin is almost as nice as Christchurch !

Good luck.

Peter
moot point

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, Paul.

From your advice I tracked down the difference in tuition for "resident" and "international" students. It is a big one, with tuition costs of around $4000 and $16000, respectively (http://www.minedu.govt.nz/index).

From their definition to qualify as a "domestic student", the best bet seems to be to get a permanent residence permit before going to NZ.

From the NZ immigration site (http://www.immigration.govt.nz) I did a quick check on my point tally and it came to 135pts after taking into consideration my age, educational background, and my relative work experience (which I assumed ESL is of immediate shortage due to its mention on their site).

I am now curious of how easy it is to immigrate to NZ. Both the immigration homepage and TeachNZ site give the impression of open arms. Is it really that easy to immigrate to NZ with someone of my background or are they being a bit deceiving?

Keep in mind I will bring my Japanese wife and our two very young children. My wife doesn't have any official qualifications but could probably meet the minimum requirements for English once she took one of the tests.

I hate to get ahead of the game, but we'll also have around NZ$30,000 in to get resettled. Do you think this is enough to get through the one-year Diploma in Teaching, pay for all living costs, etc.?

Similarly, just how bad is the ESL situation? How would you rate my chances of finding part-time ESL work to offset some of our living costs?
moot point

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops!

Sorry Peter...I called you Paul.
ambernz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be easier for you to do your Dip Teaching at home and then you'd be able to move to NZ once you had a job offer. I just completed my MA, with my partner working full time and myself working part-time and we also had outside income (as well as only paying domestic rates) and it was a struggle. I don't want to put you off but NZ is an expensive country to live in and $30,000 could easily be drained in a year. It is also a great country to live in, and to raise children in, which is why we are coming home soon. One note, if you have PR status you also have much greater access to government assistance for childcare and ESL classes (if your wife wanted or needed them).

Last point, the South Island is great to visit, very scenic, but I'll vote for Wellington anyday! OK I'm more than slightly biased!
moot point

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see where you're coming from Amber, by saying it would be easier to do my Diploma in Teaching from home. But in my case "home" would mean making a move back to Canada from Japan then moving once again to New Zealand. I think this would result in taking more time and more money in the end.

With the ultimate goal of teaching in New Zealand I think it would be better, both in terms of feasibility and educational relativeness, to get the diploma in New Zealand. Wouldn't you agree? I mean, if my goal is to teach in NZ then it would make more sense to study about the curriculum and teaching standards in that country. I don't know, but I think it would make myself more marketable in the country to have a NZ diploma rather than one from Canada.

Thanks for the heads up about the costs of living in New Zealand. The 30,000 I mentioned is what we'd have in cash upon relocating. I'd hate to do it, but I suppose we could always liquidate some of our investments if the need arises. That was why I wanted to know whether or not there would be a chance to offset the costs by finding part-time teaching venues at the universities or even language schools if need be. Any thoughts?

Now my biggest concern is whether or not we will be accepted for permanent residence. Does anyone know how we'd compare (Canadian carrying MA in TESOL with Japanese wife and 2 kids in his mid-30's) to other immigrants you've met?
ambernz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take your point, and yes two relocations is not good for anyone, especially your children. My son is still struggling here after 6 months, one reason why we are coming home.

In regards to marketablity, you'd be fine with either. If it was possible for you to procure cash after you arrive in NZ, you could see how you go. If you choose a city like Dunedin, which is very cheap to live in but might not be somewhere that you want to live permanently, you may be able to get by.

As to PR, if you have the points you should be good. NZ really needs teachers and if you were willing to live outside of Auckland (why anyone would want to live there anyway!! Sorry Aucklanders!) you shouldn't have too many problems.

NZ gets lots of migrants and there does seem to be a bit of a push towards English speakers at the moment. Anything else, feel free to ask.
sojourner

Location: nice, friendly, easy-going (ALL) Peoples' Republic of China

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MP,

In one of your postings, you mentioned that the Dip.Tchg tuition fees for a "resident" would be around $4000. It would be a good idea for you to do some research on teaching scholarships, etc. When I did my secondary teacher training in NZ, many years ago, I was not required to pay any fees - also, I was provided with a reasonably generous living allowance. I'm not sure whether such a system of "studentships" still exists, but it would be worthwhile to enquire about it. It's also possible that NZ may have something similar to Australia's HECS scheme, in which one is given the option of not paying any "upfront" tuition fees but, rather, to pay for one's education through slightly higher P.A.Y.E. taxation once your income reaches a certain level.

On the subject of Australia, have you ever thought of applying for Permanent Residency there, should there be any problems in obtaining PR status for NZ ? Australian citizens are given free access (inc.the right to take up employment) to NZ - this MIGHT also apply for those with Australian PR status. I believe that holders of Australian PR status are eligible for HECS assistance . Also, Australian teaching qualifications are recognised in NZ.

If choosing to study in Australia, it would be a good idea to do so outside of Sydney and Melbourne, on account of the high rents in those two places. However, if you decide to go to Australia, for the purpose of getting to NZ, you might decide to stay ! Australia is a far more dynamic and cosmopolitan sort of place than NZ. Also, Australia has much better beaches and climate than NZ's ! And, Australia's standard of living is higher than NZ's. Yet, there would, I'd imagine, be some advantages for a family in NZ, eg the cost of housing, especially in some of the South Island cities and towns. Also, NZers, generally speaking, seem to have a higher regard for their public school system, than do Aussies for their state schools.

Regards,

Peter
moot point

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Amber and Paul. Both of you are a fountain of knowledge for me. It's nice to be able to communicate with someone who is familiar NZ.

Amber, I have a quick (off topic) question for you. You mention in both posts that you're planning on "coming home". Where are you now?

Peter, I have a handful of questions for you. I looked at the TeachNZ site and briefly perused their "scholarships" section. The details weren't clear but I didn't think that scholarships would apply to non-New Zealanders. Out of curiousity, what's your nationality?

As for the idea of studying/living in Oz, it's something that was in the original game plan but I was under the impression that Australia is cutting back on its immigration numbers. Do you think it is plausible to obtain a working/living residence permit there? I will do some more research on the Internet but New Zealand's government sites just seemed so welcoming it attracted me to the place. If you could direct me to similar information available on-line I'd be grateful.
JosephP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have 12 months work experience in NZ and a tertiary qualification you should have no problems getting PR. If you look at the NZIS site you'll notice a OSL list. This is the Occupational Shortage List. If you have some skill that matches you should be able to come here and get a job and you'd have no problem scoring a work permit and then you'd be on your way to getting PR. Once you have your PR your tertiary fees are far less than what foreign students pay.

As for affordability, Auckland rents are quite high and the traffic sucks mightily. Wellington is nice and has a good life-style and the rents are a tad less. Christchurch has cold winters but isn't so bad (actually pretty nice in many ways) and although rents are increasing they are not so high as Welly and Auckland. Dunedin is hilly and cold, but pretty friendly and rent is cheap. The rural areas are cheap as chips, but to work in the sticks you'd best have some trade, not much call for a citified paper-pushing skill. Dairying perhaps?

Buena suerte amigo.
moot point

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, Joseph. I was wondering if you'd ever read this message and was looking forward to some input from you. I enjoyed reading your comments to previous posts.

Just to clarify, do you think it is more recommendable to go to NZ first on a work permit and then apply for PR, rather than try to obtain PR in the first place?

Also, if I go on a work permit for a year where does that leave the status of my wife and children? Can they tag along with me for the year? Any idea what status they'd hold? Medical insurance and other coverage is also a concern.

Sorry for bombarding you with questions but if you know offhand it would be great to hear from you. In the meantime, I'll try to dig up some of the answers from the immigration site.
JosephP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, your spouse and sprogs can tag along. Your spouse can get a work visa and work permit and the kids would get a student visa and student permit as well.
As for applying for PR first and then coming over...well, I don't know your situation. I have always subscribed to the notion that those with their boots on the ground always stand a better chance at grabbing the prize. Perhaps you could come over on a tourist visa, scout the lay of the land, secure employment, get the work permit and then bring over the family. Also, if you can find a decent enough job it is possible to get a three year work permit. That takes the heat off a bit. But yeah, it appears NZIS is looking more favourably upon those candidates for immigration who have already got a job.
Medical insurance? Well, for accidents there is the ACC. For other stuff, well, once again, I don't know your situation.
Good luck.
Rice Paddy Daddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!
moot point

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph,

What is ACC?
JosephP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACC, New Zealand�s accident compensation scheme, provides 24-hour no-fault personal accident insurance cover. Part of your paycheck, 1.1% or something like that, goes towards the funding of the scheme.
My understanding is that everyone is eligible for coverage if injured in an accident in New Zealand. That includes workers, residents, students, tourists -- the lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: