Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Griffith Uni -- Faculty of Education
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moot point

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Griffith Uni -- Faculty of Education Reply with quote

I've been thinking about pursuing a postgrad degree with Griffith in Queensland. Does it have a good reputation?
IreneM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i lived in the gold coast for a while and met tons students at griffith, it seems to have a good name down in australia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
erinyes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably the 3rd most popular Uni.

First UQ for theory
then QUT for practical
the Griffith for everyone who didn't get into either of the other two, or for visual arts or music.

The thing with Australian Universities is that most are strictly controlled by the government, so all have a similar reputation and all have high quality.

To find the best post grad I would think about the kinds of things you want to learn and then check out the subject overviews for the course. They are all good quality, but they don't all teach the same courses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
grwit

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my undergraduate in education and Griffith. It was great. facilities are all good and the staff were very helpful.

I have heard some rumors about the Gold Coast campus not having as good a reputation as the brisbane campuses though. The story goes that employers see Griffith - Gold Coast on resumes and think that the student probably spent most of his/her time at the beach getting a tan or surfing rather than studying and going to class.

I live on the Gold Coast (although I am now living in China) and I went to the Griffith - Logan campus simply because Gold Coast wasn't offering IT in Education as a major. It was during my years at logan that I heard these rumors. Maybe it was just envy talking - everyone wants to live on the Gold Coast dont they? hehehe But some people are stuck in places like Logan.

Sorry y'all no offence intended to loganites or beach bummin' surfies.
moot point

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking more about the Nathan Campus, but thought I'd look for a house to rent in Logan. I haven't researched all my options but got the general feeling that rental prices in Logan would be cheaper than in Brisbane. Is this a fair assumption?
lozwich

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that would be a fair assumption. Take a look at www.realestate.com.au for rental prices. Logan is deep suburbia, so there's not as much to do as in Brisbane central, but its only 30 minutes up the freeway (provided you have a car) and you're in the city. 30 minutes the other way, and you're at the beach! Cool
moot point

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who has provided responses to this thread so far.

But actually, I've recently been leaning towards living in Cairns and studying at JCU. The main purpose is because of the immigration point system, where I'd be eligible for an additional 5 points for living in a "regional" area. Because of my age, I think I'll need the extra points in order to reach the required 120points in order to obtain PR status.

I have a feeling that there would be more opporunities in and around Brisbane, simply because of the population difference between the two areas, but under the circumstances it looks like northern qld. would be more appropriate for us.

I'd love to hear any thoughts about JCU and their teacher education programs.

Also, any idea what the TEFL industry is like in Cairns?
Gordon

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moot, what is making you consider immigrating to Oz? Can't say I haven't had the same thoughts.
moot point

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gordon. It has better weather than Canada, for one! I'm also thinking about it from a number of angles; livability, education for my kids, access to Asia, its ethnic diversity, etc.

By the way, folks, I just received my letter of acceptance from Griffith today. Thanks for all your input.
lozwich

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo hoo! Congrats to you Mr or Mrs Point!

Do a search here for NEAS, in the past I've posted some links to accrediting bodies that have lists of TEFL schools in Oz.

Good luck, and say hi to BrisVegas for me!
Lozwich.
grwit

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be wary of picking logan for your home!!!

It is cheaper than brisbane but there are reasons for that. If you do deside to move there try to find a place on the west side of the pacific highway. The east side can get pretty rough.

Unless you enjoy having junkies alcoholics and biker gang members as your neighbors.

Of course not every one in logan is like this but the general area has a bad rep for attracting Australias lower class citizens.

Sorry to all those decent folks living there that might read this post but I'm sure you know what I mean.
moot point

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks grwit for the heads up on Logan. Are you familiar with the Gravatt area? Would you recommend one suburb over another which would be suitable for a young family?
lozwich

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moot point,

Mt Gravatt and surrounds are fine. I believe that Grwit was talking about the Beenleigh and Woodridge areas.

There are plenty of young families in Mt Gravatt, and is fairly established as such. You will have no trouble finding schools and so forth either.

Good luck,
Lozwich.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone done the Masters in Appl. Linguistics at Griffith? I heard that one or two of the compulsory courses requires students to teach on Saturday mornings! Is this true? Or standard of unis offering the same degree? Thanks!
cjuno

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moot point
i remember a while back you were considering New Zealand. What made you change your mind to Australia?
i am only asking cause i am also thinking of making the move from Japan to NZ or OZ to study for a teaching license.
i'm an american with a MA looking to settle down with my jp wife and hopefully kid(s) in the near future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: