Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

questions, questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anisima

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:02 am    Post subject: questions, questions Reply with quote

Hello everyone! Well I have a lot of questions and thoughts on my mind...hopefully someone out there can help me out! Wink

I am 21 years old and currently a senior at a University in the United States and will receive a BA degree in Spanish at the end of this year. I have done a bit of research (on the internet) and am very interested in entering the field of ESL after graduation. I have spent some time living in Spain previosly and really fell in love with the country and its people. That, combined with the fact that I would like to enter graduate school and study Spanish fuel my desire to return to the peninsula. I don't have the money to study there or to be a tourist, working is a must for me. I'm attracted to ESL because I really do love teaching, in fact it runs through my blood, my family is FILLED with teachers. That's my basic info...so here are my questions for all you experienced folk!

1. First of all, I realize that working in the EU is not legal for U.S. citizens, but it looks as though it is not impossible in Spain. Can anyone give me some more insight on this topic? Where do most Americans tend to find work? Do they have to sacrifice pay etc? What would happen if I were to get caught working illegally?

2. My absolute dream and goal would be to find a job in Seville or in Andalusia. The reason is that I am familiar with the city and have a handful of friends there, being close to their support would be wonderful. Is this even a slightly realistic goal? It seems like work there is hard to come by. Although I think I would have a place to stay while I look for work in Seville.

3. Insurance?? I have never bought insurance in my life! Can anyone recommend a company or way to go about this?

4. I have looked into taking a TEFL certifying course held in Seville and given by TEFL International. Has anyone taken this specific course? Are there others given in Seville?

5. Is there any way I can boost my resume in this year to come? Do companies recognize volunteer work as valid experience?

6. Working papers....can/should I start this proccess before coming over?

***7. Are there any U.S. citizens out there working in Spain right now that can give me some personal advice or encouragement? Anyone working in Andalusia? I would just like to know if someone out there is making it work!!

Wow, gosh that's a lot of questions! Don't feel like it's all or nothing on answering them...I will take any little piece of advice I can get!

Muuuuuuchas Gracias,
anisima
grahamb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: Non-EU citizens working in Spain Reply with quote

Working illegally here means you have none of the rights enjoyed by legal workers. I can't see how you'd get an identity card or a social security number as an illegal worker.
There's no point talking about working papers if you're going to be working illegally.
Regarding employers, when you arrive, photocopy the addresses of language schools from the phone book and visit them.
By all means include voluntary work in your CV.
Seville is in Andalucia. It's smaller than Madrid, so there's less work there.
Having friends anywhere is an advantage, as is a command of the language.
I recommend you take a TEFL course at home, but if you really want to do it in Spain, try a Google search using the words TEFL, CELTA and Spain.
Check your parents' insurance policy to see if it covers your possessions when you're abroad. Medical insurance would be a sensible investment, to say the least.
You mentioned postgraduate study. I dare say there are scores of exchange programmes, so check out the availability of grants or scholarships from US universities that would allow you to study here.
avahanian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: questions, questions Reply with quote

Hi anisima,

Most Americans I know in Spain teach English....some of them are fortunate enough to have been transferred by their companies. Some of them work in bars and pubs, and some of them have married Spaniards. It really depends on the person, but it is more difficult for a non EU citizen to get legal work in Spain.

I would not recommend Sevilla, for your English teaching career. Madrid remains the best place in Spain, there is always demand for English classes, you will always have students, and hence always have work in Madrid.

I recommend going to Madrid first, and then after a while moving to Sevilla when you've become accustomed to life in Spain and the language (the Spanish you learn elsewhere is different from that in Spain).

If you want to live in Spain legally, then you must have a job offer before you arrive.

I can see you are passionate about your career, so I recommend that you follow your dream all the way!

I'm sure you do have many more questions, so feel free to ask and check out my signature below as I know it will be a tremendous help to you...

best wishes
stoth1972

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:59 am    Post subject: tesol certification Reply with quote

It's been a few years since I lived in Spain, but one thing I do recall standing out was a general prerequisite for a recognised tesol certificate. That translates to a certificate delivered by an school according to the Trinity College London or Cambridge standards. CELTA or Trinity TESOL will often be printed in the ads for schools that are recruiting. I've done the trinity cert myself and found it extremely beneficial considering I didn't have an degree in education. I also have to agree with the other posters regarding legality-you'll have to work illegally-and Madrid is the best city for finding work. Be prepared to work in 2 different academies. I liked it because I was able to specify my hours and request blocks of classes. There will be plenty of time to visit friends in Sevilla. Good people to know during Semana Santa! Buena suerte!
RachelA_Broad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: classes Reply with quote

I don't have much info for you but I am presently planning on attending the CELTA course taught by the International House in Seville in November. I believe they have one that runs almost every month. A site that I have found very helpful is the Cambridge University CELTA page
http://www.cambridge-esol.org/teaching/centres/index.cfm
it lists all of the countries and cities that the CELTA is taught in. There are some in Madrid and Barcelona as well. (An added bonus is that the Spain seems to be one of the most inexpensive places to get your CELTA)

I feel your pain on the work visa front. I am a U.S. citizen as well (but sadly I don't really speak Spanish (yet!)).
Good luck to you!!!!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it might be a little late, but there's a job on TEFL.com for a job near Sevilla.

Suerte!
gsbcn08080

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Sites with information Reply with quote

This might give you information
www.expatriatecafe.com
There's another site called Madrid Man but I don't know the exact link try a google search.
I know that ITC in Barcelona places many Americans, you could call them or ask for information. Most of the ones I met that had done their TEFL certificate there had jobs.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expatriatecafe.com has a place for job adverts, but I haven't been able to access it. Do you know what the problem is?

for the other site, http://www.madridman.com
and http://www.multimadrid.com
gsbcn08080

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some jobs where it says " forums" and then go to " employers post job opportunities".
gsbcn08080

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: forgot this Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that I found this
http://www.teachinspain.org/ , there's some jobs advertised.
lozwich

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: and in the north? Reply with quote

Hi,

Someone said Madrid is the place to be, and it seems that lots of people want to live in the south of Spain, but does anyone know about job prospects in the north. I'm thinking of places like Zaragoza, Pamplona and Vigo.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Smile

Have a good day,
Lozwich
grahamb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Working in the north of Spain. Reply with quote

tefl.com frequently carries vacancies in the north of Spain.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the info about the expatriate cafe, though the last post was in January 04 Sad

For some reason, I can't get to teachinspain.org DOes it still work for you? Or is it just banned in CHina? Shocked
gsbcn08080

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I got it no problem.
http://www.teachinspain.org.
I copied and pasted this information

Welcome To Teach in Spain

Madrid Jobs Offers: English Teacher Wanted

(See & submit Madrid teaching job offers free)

Madrid English Teachers Available for Work

(See & submit CV / availability here free)

Barcelona Jobs Offers: English Teacher Wanted

(See & submit Barcelona teaching job offers free)

Barcelona English Teachers Available for Work

(See & submit CV / availability here free)

Places to Teach

People / Places that hire teachers

English Teaching Agencies & Academies
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joy of China, joy of China . . .
It's blocked here. that really sucks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: