Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

jobs and money
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SWF

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: jobs and money Reply with quote

Are there a lot of job opps in the middle east right now? how's the money?
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear SWF ( Single White Female? ).
There are job opportunities in the Middle East, perhaps even more than there usually are, since many are leery of the region given the current situation. But to give any specific answers to your question, a lot more information from you would be necessary:
1. Are you, in fact, a Single White Female?
2. What qualifications ( BA, MA, TESOL, etc. ) do you have?
3. How much overseas experience do you have?
4. Which country ( countries ) in the Middle East are you interested in?
5. What's your age?
This is not just being nosey, by the way. All of these factors are relevant to finding employment over here.
Regards,
John Slattery
SWF

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a SWF and currently doing a Master's certificate in teaching 2nd languages (not just English). I have several years experience teaching ESL but I'm still in my twenties. I am interested in many places in the Middle East but as a female I think I should be concerned about some. I am also interested in saving money so that will be a major factor.

Thank you for your help.
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear SWF,
You'd most probably have a much better chance of getting a decent job in this part of the world once you have that Masters. And I'd advise against coming to the Kingdom - it's NOT " female-friendly ". The Institute of Public Relations ( IPA ) where I work in Riyadh has a " Women's Branch " here, but I never advise women to apply to it - there have been far too many " horror stories " of teachers' having been treated very badly there by a very screwed-up administration. I'd suggest the UAE as a possibility -when you get that degree. Admittedly, I don't have any personal experience there, but there are some colleges and universities that get fair to good reviews on Dave's " Job Information Journal ". And, although it's probably still a bit trying to be female there, it's streets ahead of the Kingdom in that regard. Hope this helps some.
Regards,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: Single Females in the M.E. Reply with quote

Most single females from North America and Western Europe find life very difficult in Saudi Arabia. UAE too but it is a bit easier. In UAE there are jobns - especially if you have an MA. The Universioty in Al Ain. The Higher Colleges of Technology. I would advise you to give secondary schools a miss. (Unless you can get into the strange world of teraching in the "International" schools for children of expatriates.)
Jude

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:23 am    Post subject: I looked into it, too! Reply with quote

My boyfriend and I are looking into the Middle East right now. Initially we were thinking Saudi Arabia, but after doing a lot of research into it, we both decided it isn't a place where either of us would be happy. Mind you, none of this is first hand info, but from what everyone told me (some from what you can read on Dave's), single women and men are TOTALLY segregated. Women can't go places alone. They have to rely on men to drive them wherever they want to go. I'm Canadian myself, and have been in SKorea where there's a certain amount of inequality, but I just couldn't handle Saudi! Maybe that makes me unadventurous, and maybe we'll visit, but I think that we'll be heading to the UAE or somewhere more liberal like it to live.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: Couples in Saudi Reply with quote

Only married couples can get a visa to come to Saudi Arabia together. It would not be possible for you to come here with your partner unless you were married. The same applies to other countries in the region.

Unfair ? Well those are the rules. If you don't like the rules, don't play the game !
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: UAE for couples Reply with quote

The same rules for the UAE. Married or no visa. Immorality is still a criminal offence in this region.
Jude

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No comment on immorality (Shocked ), I was only trying to mention what I have recently heard regarding the area. Sorry if I somehow caused offense!
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: couples in the middle east Reply with quote

I was not offended. But really it SURPRISES me sometimes how some people make judgements about the world based on their lives in the West.
The world is a diverse and varied place. I find it strange that people just assume they can travel around and behave as they do in Malibu or wherever.
Jude

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my last comment on this as this is now very far from what SWF asked, but I would just like to point out that I never made any judgment about KSA. I merely said it wasn't the place for us. That's just a personal comment. Anyway, SWF, I hope you have a great time wherever you go! Maybe we'll see you there. Very Happy
run-jp

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: not to forget some ME hypocrisy Reply with quote

No real comment for SWF here, but i was bit surprised by "cohabitation" being called immorality. My short but bird's-eye view of life in Rabat, at the dreaded Khalil G. school, gave me a distaste for some of the hypocricy in the arab world. A few passing men agressively tried to pick up my co-worker at the bus stop near school. (no transpo was provided by monsieur "Ebeneezer" Lyouvi). Some local men explained that Western women basically "were whores". Of course, the "working girls" I saw there were all natives. No hookers in the KSA, i imagine. but this same childish attitude exists there, i am sure and could likely lead to an unpleasant stay for outgoing females... even so, it is their country so complaining about these views is of no use. To admit fault with my own country(USA), take the fact that GIs after the war assumed that all "Gishas" actually Geishas, were hookers, which hasn't helped this artistic profession much. Many girls hooked at that time...to buy meat or baisc needs for their families... my point is...even us vets of Asia deserve understanding, as well as the Islamic World. sore ja. tom
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Cohabitation Reply with quote

My point was that in the Middle East cohabitation is both immoral and illegal. To express ignorance of this is an admission that the writer knows nothing of the cultures of this part of the world. Worse,it displays an assumption that if it is okay in Malibu or Brighton, it must be okay everywhere. I would expect a bit more finesse from people involved in teaching in an international and intercultural context.
bwils

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:41 am    Post subject: Just wondering... Reply with quote

I'm a Business and Information Technology secondary school teacher in Ontario, Canada (3 years experience), and I know this is an ESL forum, but I'm desperate to get travelling again and there seems to be lots of great information here. My questions:

Scot47 writes:
I would advise you to give secondary schools a miss.
(Unless you can get into the strange world of teaching in the "International" schools for children of expatriates.)

1. Is "strange world" a positive thing or negative? I've taught a few students from UAE over the past couple of years, and when speaking with their parents, I've mentioned that I was interested in going over there to teach. They always ask what am I waiting for - the pay, living conditions, school facilities, etc. are second to none. Any colleagues that you know of teaching in these schools would back this up? I take it that I should be sticking to the International Schools?

2. I've heard UAE is quite family friendly (I have a wife and 1 year old daughter), and that the majority of the population are ex-pats. My wife is from Mexico, and right now we are just waiting until she has enough time in Canada to get her Canadian passport so that it will be easier for her to travel - I'm assuming immigration and visa paperwork will go a lot smoother if we're all from the same country. I'm just wondering, though, if we're waiting for nothing - is this a legitimate concern going to the UAE? And by the way, is there a substantial Mexican/Latin American population that exists in UAE?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Regards,
Brian
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

I think perhaps you should have started a new thread rather than adding to the end of this old one.

In reading your message, I think it would likely be better if both you and your wife had passports from the same country. It just seems that it would make things easier. I have worked with many teachers who have spouses from different countries and perhaps they know more than I do and could answer.

The vast majority of the expats in the Gulf are from the sub-continent and I never encountered many Spanish speakers. It is a family friendly place though.

As to teaching in the schools, the key to the better working situations is to stick to the American or British Schools rather than the ones that just append the name or curriculum without adopting the the faculty management systems. Check out the job information journal here on Dave's site.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: