Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salary Expectations in Bahrain
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bushkat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Salary Expectations in Bahrain Reply with quote

I'm 27, single, female and looking for a job in Bahrain. I have a BBA in Marketing, Celta Pass-A, 2 years teaching experience in the UK and about 4 years business experience. I've had a look at a few jobs and have been asked to let my potential employers know my salary expectations. Assuming I've been given a base figure that covers accommodation and travel, what would be a realistic amount to add to that (spending money and savings) based on my qualifications/experience? Or, alternatively, could anyone tell me what a realistic overall package to ask for may be? I know this is a vague request but I have not been able to find any info at all so am totally in the dark. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't mentioned what kind of job you are talking about. Business job or teacher - if teacher - primary, secondary, or university? With your unrelated education qualifications and limited experience, you would be pretty much at the bottom of any of the pay scales in education.

Always be very careful about accepting jobs from employers who want YOU to tell them your expectations rather than giving you the offer that is proper based on your CV. Personally, I would immediately remove them from consideration.

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything less than 1,000 BD a month and you would be on the breadline.
And that would be with free accommodation, decent health cover and flights.

Bahrain is not particularly cheap.
bushkat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! Hmmm, all I seem to be getting is warning after warning of the cost of living!!!

To clarify what I'm looking for....an EFL position teaching either adults/young adults. The reason for mentioning business experience is that it has put me in a good position to teach business English. I have experience teaching both general and business English and wouldn't mind doing either/both.

I know this is the wrong place to ask but hey... if not the Middle East to save some money, any suggestions on other places?
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with Bahrain is that you are likely to spend a fair amount of your income; there do appear to be a fair number of westerners your age living there.

I'd put the minimum at BD700-800, but I would ask you why you would want to work in Bahrain, when you could get the same salary in Korea.

Bahraini salaries are low by Gulf standards, on a par with Oman. You will find that one of Bahrain's main exports is skilled native manpower to other Gulf countries such as Kuwait.

If you don't drink you could give Kuwait a look in. There are loads of youngish westerners there, and the salaries will be somewhat higher than in
Bahrain because the dinar is tied to the a basket of currencies and not the dollar.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen Jones wrote:
the dinar is tied to the a basket of currencies and not the dollar.

When did they make this switch? just curious...

VS
Van Norden

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kuwaiti Dinar has improved about 5% relative to the US$ in the last 6 years. Not a lot to hang your hat on. And there's always the possibilty of a resurgent dollar reversing this scanty advantage.
bushkat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the reasons I wanted to work in either Dubai/Bahrain were 1) I thought the money was great and 2) it's a central spot in terms of friends/family (i.e. easy to visit). I've also heard that there is a large expat community which is appealing as I don't want to end up in the bundus with no english around other than what's on my ipod.

I did think about Kuwait but *sigh* I just don't think I could give up red wine for a year!

You mentioned Korea - what's it like? I taught a lot of Korean students in the UK and they were lovely but, from what they said, their education system at home is quite strict and totally marks orientated. They'd be devastated if they got anything below 70%.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and totally marks orientated
Middle East is the same.
Pikgitina

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A late addition to the original post I know. With your qualifications and experience you'd do much better in Oman than in Bahrain. You probably wouldn't get more than OR850 incl. flights, medical, accommodation and the like, but that's plenty in Oman - given that you're young and probably still single. You'd be able to live a decent life, drink your red wine, and still save. On top of that, Oman'd be so much more interesting than that sleazy, minute island they call Bahrain. I've found Bahrain to be the dullest of the Gulf States, but then I haven't been to Kuwait and seeing that most Kuwaiti men are in Bahrain over weekends, I suppose Kuwait might even be duller. Yet, some people like it. Oman's tops in my books. I'd even go so far as to say that KSA is preferable to Bahrain. But that's just me...
nathan_lomax

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for the British Council and my salary is BD740 a month (with DELTA). The non-accountable housing allowance is BD350 for single people and BD 450 for couples. This is barely enough. I have 3 young kids but only one in school. The cost of schooling is BD70 per month including transport. We manage on the salary but that's without going to nice restaurants or having holidays abroad. All in all, the Council is OK if you are single and professional development opportunities are good, but if you want more cash try the universities.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a 'non-accountable' housing allowance?

VS
nathan_lomax

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non accountable means they just give you the full allowance regardless of what you pay. You can save something out of your allowance but only if you shop around and are prepared to live out of Manama. Most people don't want to do this so end up spending all or more than their allowance.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the only kind I have ever encountered...

VS
nathan_lomax

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we asked for a higher allowance they said it would have to be 'accountable', so not such a potential bonus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Bahrain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: