Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you do for fun in Bahrain?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: What do you do for fun in Bahrain? Reply with quote

I'm posting on behalf of an acquaintance who's looking for some suggestions. If you had a friend of family member visiting you for a week, where would you take them? Good place to eat? Nice location for a coffee? Thanks in advance.
DMIXDJ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, For Drinks, cocktail's and some nice food i would hit Trader Vic's @ the Ritz Carlton. You can also pay to use the Private beach, which is well worth it considering that Bahrain strangely lacks any decent public Beaches.

The best Shisha cafe is situated next to the HSBC in Adliya. Amazing Burgers, steak's, Jucies and the fastest wifi connection i have ever seen!

Other restaurants worth checking out are Upstairs Downstairs and monsoon, Both in adliya.

The junk food monster in me wants to write.... For someone who has never had the Pleasure....A Burger at Fuddruckers and a Milk shake from Dairy Queen is an Absolute must!!

As for Nightlife, I used to be Resident DJ at the best Club in Bahrain, BJ's, but thanks to the Shooting, It Closed!

The Club scene here is forever changing but people tell me Coccon lounge(house Music) is the place to be at weekends. Others include:

Wrangler (Full of American Navy, with an RnB - Hip Hop vibe)
Warbler (Ditto)
Sherlock Holmes (British Pub with Live music) Recommended
Z Club (RnB, House music) Guy's need a Shirt to get in here
Club 7 (Funky House, Arabic House) Guest DJ's @ Weekends

You can get more listings and phone numbers for most venues from

http://www.clickbahrain.com/clickbahrain_nightlife.asp
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all those ideas!
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest a visit to the Museum of the Holy Koran.
lall

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Places to visit Reply with quote

Trader Vic's would be the place to visit, especially for snob value. Been there only once with a friend from the KS of A. Too expensive for a simple guy like me.

Yes, do visit the Beit El Qoran and the Bahrain National Museum. There's an exhibition of masks on, currently.

For a quiet cuppa, I'd visit The Tea Shop. It's got at least a 100 flavours to choose from and is spread over two floors. You can sip your cup right there and/or buy your tea leaves for home use. For an tea-lover like me, it's like being a kid in a candy store. It's located just beyond Aswaq Al Awafi (a super market) on Exhibition Road (on the right, if you are driving south).
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
I suggest a visit to the Museum of the Holy Koran.

Seriously?

Actually their little history/archaeology museum is definitely worth a visit... and then you can go out and visit the burial mounds. In ancient times, Bahrain was a big cemetary.

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The National Museum is also worth a visit. Good exhibits. well-presented and a nice coffee-shop. Effective air-conditioning too.

Not all of us want to hang out in shady "expat" dives surrounded by ladies of doubtful virtue.
lall

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Clarification Reply with quote

A clarification, MM.

It's called "Tea Club".
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I've passed them on!
lall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Fun Reply with quote

What do you do for fun in Bahrain?

The Oil Museum.

Zallaq Beach (Not too virgin) - I can see the sea from the roof-top of my house in ol' "reverse" Blighty. Much more virgin, there. Additionally, we own direct access to a strip of beach, nearby. A beautiful strip of beach, really. Even the beaches of Salalah, Oman (and the beaches of Salalah, Oman are great) don't come close. Of course, I'm biased.

The F1 (Too noisy, inspite of earplugs)

Balad E Jazaaer

Al Areen Park (Count on spending around 2 hours, as the tour circuit does its rounds).

MM, I realize that this may be a bit late, vis-a-vis your visitors. This is just a post for the benefit of the others.

Regs.,

Lall.

The PM's old house, the Parliament House, the WTC with its windmills that supposedly supply community electricity to the bldg., may be viewed in air-conditioned comfort through 4mm glass.
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine has just moved, so these are all really helpful, lall. Smile
lall

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Entertainment Reply with quote

List of live entertainment places I've been to in Bahrain, in order of personal preference in regard to the quality of music:

The pub at the Sheraton (No lip-synching, no drum machines, no auto-synthesizers)

Sherlock Holmes at the Gulf Hotel in Adliya (No lip-synching, no drum machines, no auto-synthesizers)

The pub at the Regency Intercontinental (walking distance from the Sheraton - an opportunity for bar-hopping, no lip-synching, no drum machines, no auto-synthesizers)

Harvesters in the Crowne Plaza (No lip-synching)

Fiddler's Green in the Diplomat Radisson (walking distance from the Diplomat Radisson, no lip-synching)

The Warbler in Baisan Intnl. (No lip-synching, no drum machines, no auto-synthesizers)

Cavalry at the Gulf Tower hotel opp. the Sheraton (No lip-synching)

The pub at Windsor Tower (No lip-synching)

The other place where the singers lip-synched, I won't mention.

Your friend could attend the quiz nights at the British Club in Adliya (every alternate Thursday). Good fun. I found that I could answer around 35% to 40% of the questions correctly, all by myself. Maybe with a few knowledgeable team-mates, one stands a good chance of winning.
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:

Not all of us want to hang out in shady "expat" dives surrounded by ladies of doubtful virtue.

But many of us DO want to hang out in such places. Oh Bahrain!
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear scot47,
I protest. You are maligning those ladies. Their "virtue" isn't at all "doubtful", at least not to the trained observer.
mistral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Sampling the delights of Bahrain Reply with quote

Scot's right. How many of you want to hang out with a bunch of EL teachers contemplating another week at the chalkface, counting the days to the next vacation ... or "should I slash my wrists before I go into the classroom on Saturday morning". Many do. And tell you they've had a wonderful weekend away from KSA! Might as well lounge around at Starbucks on the corniche
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Bahrain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: