Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kidnappings and FPI
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamagorilla

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:23 am    Post subject: kidnappings and FPI Reply with quote

so, i just completed my TEFL course and am really excited to go teach! i have been looking into Indonesia or Taiwan for my first year but i have to ask if there is any real threat in Indonesia from the FPI?? my parents [who believe too much sensationalized news] are totally freaking out telling me that Indonesia is really dangerous for americans in particular.
people with experience teaching there, what do you think based on your experience??
Bule_Gila

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Canadian Citizen, living in Samarinda, Indonesia, while teaching ESL. You don't have to be concerned with kidnappings in Indonesia. I can not recall the last time a foreign citizen was kidnapped here, so that is not a concern. Indonesia is a nice, fun and exciting place to visit. I first came here from 2004 to 2006 and I am back again for another 3 year stretch. I have never felt threatened or fearful for my life while I am here.

Terrorist groups JI are close to extinct here, so terrorism, although a small issue, isn't as threatening as outsiders think it is.
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in church in Jakarta on Xmas eve 2000 when terrorists set off a bomb. They did it simultaneously at around nine churches nationwide. Quite shocking. I was punched once in Stadium too, but was seriously drunk at the time. Other than that, my time in Indonesia was most serene.
mamagorilla

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses - I am going to continue my research into teaching in Indonesia without fear of being kidnapped by the extremist groups Smile
godmachine12

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your probably safer in Indonesia than the states. I've been here for 2 years and have only seen 2 serious altercations (both involving foreigners), never been threatened (quite the opposite actually), never seen anyone get shot (can't say that for even my small hometown) and have never been harshly treated or criticized by anyone Muslim or otherwise. Granted, I'm not a loud-mouthed, drunken, belligerent idiot�which no doubt probably helps�but still. It's a relaxed, peaceful place. There are rough spots for sure, but would you have a wander through the ghetto at 3am? I think not.
mamagorilla

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have thought about how unsafe I feel in the US and how Indonesia is prol no worse! I spent three months backpacking through Central America with two other female friends - I should know that there are precautions I can take [like not strolling through the ghetto at 3am - Indonesia has a ghetto?] and being the respectful, intelligent, happy person that I am when interacting with the local people! Indonesia looks like an amazing place, I am pretty solid on applying for teaching jobs there in the next few months.
extradross

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakarta certainly has quite a few areas that would qualify them as ghetto's or derelict housing schemes in terms of danger-particularly around the kota area and Tanjung Priok. But there's no reason why any foreigner would be in 'em anyway......other than that Jakarta's a safe place to live/move around in-for a man. Females need to be somewhat more 'wary' as it were. For example take care with their choice of taxi's if traveling late at night. And try not to do so alone!
Madame J

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

extradross wrote:
For example take care with their choice of taxi's if traveling late at night. And try not to do so alone!

Ack! I frequently taxid alone at night, as did the majority of my female expat friends. You'll be fine as long as you avoid the dodgy companies (stick to Bluebird/Silverline, though watch out for cheap imitations).

The one (well, the other) word of advice I'd give is to watch out for those tour guides. One tends to (or perhaps it's just me ) find it difficult to abandon that very Western idea of tour guides being professional people. Only when one has been mildly sexually assaulted by such a "professional" does one realise that in fact that no sort of professional accreditation system exists for these people and going on a tour alone with one is akin to going into the wild with any strange man. But then, hopefully you'll be smarter than me anyway. Rolling Eyes
godmachine12

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamagorilla wrote:
Yes, I have thought about how unsafe I feel in the US and how Indonesia is prol no worse! I spent three months backpacking through Central America with two other female friends - I should know that there are precautions I can take [like not strolling through the ghetto at 3am - Indonesia has a ghetto?] and being the respectful, intelligent, happy person that I am when interacting with the local people! Indonesia looks like an amazing place, I am pretty solid on applying for teaching jobs there in the next few months.

Sounds like you'll be fine then. Well, I wouldn't call it a ghetto, but more like someone else said: derelict housing/shanty towns where you probably would never be and wouldn't want to be either. I second watching out for the tour guides. Some can be quite rogue and extremely unprofessional. I've heard stories of 'ojek' drivers harassing women; especially late at night.
travelNteach

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would u feel unsafe in the states? i have never felt threatened and have travelled extensively. at least the police in america take the slogan "protect and sever" seriously. police in indonesia are much different on the few occasions u see them, other than pulling people over on the side of the road checking license and registration in hopes of making some rupiah on the said. that being said, i have never felt threatened or in danger in indonesia. a few times, i have realized that walking down a particular dark alley was a mistake, and opted for the longer route. all is good here.

are u still coming?
mamagorilla

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in a big city in the US, there are numerous things to make a woman feel unsafe.
And yes, Indonesia is still top of my list! I start teaching a free ESL class for African immigrants next month, then I am farming on a friends organic vegetable farm for the summer and after that is when I plan to go to Indonesia! Do you think I should start applying 3 or 4 months ahead of time? I am going to look into bringing my dog too!
travelNteach

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that 3/4 months should be a good time frame, although the ramahdan time period is usually slow for hiring teachers as many students delay enrolling in new classes until after the fasting period has ended. i beleve that this will be from early august til early september this year.

bringing a dog may cause issues. if u get teacher housing, as is common with EF, ask the DOS. if u are going to get your own housing, you may have a harder problem. most apartments dont allow dogs, most houses want 1 or 2 year contracts paid up front, and other home owners wont allow dogs, either from religious beliefs or fear of damage. other owners are fine with dogs and willing to work on terms of the lease, but generally they are more difficult to find and slightly more expensive.
marcusuk

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indonesia is both liberal and traditional - often at the same time with the same people. People take their religion seriously here but at the same time they are very peaceful about it and many consider the 'rules' to be 'guidelines' cherry picking them as many people do in a western society.

Some abhor alcohol and insist it's haram (which is the generally accepted belief) while others say there are worse things to do and still enjoy a drink. Indonesia is as much Muslim as the US is Christian - there are patches of extremists and, I suppose, a 'Koran belt' to coin a term but most areas are generally quite liberal. At the same time be careful not to offend and learn some of the local traditions - for example avoid talking about alcohol and play down any drinking you do when talking to more senior locals as some consider any drinking = alcoholism and they're digging for ways to criticise the bules (bule = without colour, technically racist but a generally affectionate term used for white westerners).

Overall there's far more to enjoy in Indonesia than to worry about. Someone mentioned being smacked in the face in a stadium while drunk. I had a similar experience once in Jogja (common short name for Yogyakarta) - I've also had it happen in bars in Cork and London. It's just one of those things when alcohol is involved (although my thoughts and words might have been less polite immediately after the incidents).
steki47

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

travelNteach wrote:
at least the police in america take the slogan "protect and sever" seriously

"Protect and sever"? I know it's a typo, but I still giggled and cringed a bit.
Sublime

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steki47 wrote:
travelNteach wrote:
at least the police in america take the slogan "protect and sever" seriously

"Protect and sever"? I know it's a typo, but I still giggled and cringed a bit.

Protect and sever, aint that more like the truth Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: