Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Colombia?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thirdeyeopen

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Teaching in Colombia? Reply with quote

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone is out in Central/South America or Caribbean (any Spanish-speaking countries) teaching English?

I'm looking for a reliable place to teach. I'm willing to pay for airfare but I would like a small monthly stipend to survive on, room, and if possible meals. I've been researching for months, but all the programs I've seen online are either real sketch or money-sucking voluntourism groups.

I just graduated college, basically penniless but am trying to make the most of it before heading back into more higher education and the work force.

Any information would be helpful

Thanks!
CountBassD

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest reading this forum. All your questions are already answered.
thirdeyeopen

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just worried because it seems like people say make sure to get a job first and others say just come and find something.

They also talk about private institutions but seems like all of them are sketchy... I don't understand how they can get teachers for their positions, are there just ex-pats hanging out in Colombia teaching everyone English?

Seems confusing to me.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very hard to secure a job before arriving, not just in Colombia but all over Latin America. Only international schools that hire at job fairs in the US, Canada, and elsewhere will hire before you leave but that doesn't seem to apply to what you're looking for.

Quote:
I don't understand how they can get teachers for their positions, are there just ex-pats hanging out in Colombia teaching everyone English?

Most ELTs are Colombian....same in any Latin American country - locals dominate the field. That's not to say there aren't jobs for native-speaking foreigners though.

I understand finances are a concern for you and it isn't going to be easy to just pick up and go without knowing if there is a job or not. You'll really want to have a chunk of savings as a just-in-case or to set yourself up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
thirdeyeopen

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm job fairs? How interesting... I'm going to try and look into that!

I really appreciate your help. I just want to open my own school at this point!

I just wanted to build a contacts list right here, but it doesn't seem like anyone has specific information or connections to legitimate institutions.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just wanted to build a contacts list right here, but it doesn't seem like anyone has specific information or connections to legitimate institutions.

Maybe it's the way you worded your post. It sounds to me like you're looking for some kind of cultural or language exchange instead of a job? If that's not the case, my apologies. You'll want to separate the job search from the idea of a homestay I think.

People here are usually pretty good about helping out with specifics...how about some more info about your background in EFL (if any), what you're looking to accomplish in LA, how long you want to stay, etc, etc.

You should also check out the job board here at the Cafe if you haven't already.

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
thirdeyeopen

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm not looking for a cultural or language exchange program.
I'm willing to shell out for my own round-trip flight.
I am looking for employment with provides housing and a monthly stipend. (I've seen some schools who provide housing with meals for teachers they board in the same building, or provide a homestay for them). Basically enough to survive on is good enough for me; but if they paid extra so I travel within the country on my free time while I'm there is ideal.

I have no background in EFL but if I do become certified, I want to do it through a certification program that will be taken everywhere (in EU, Latin Am, Asia, Middle East). I don't see an incentive to do so yet because 1) lack of funds, 2) I'm not sure if I want to make this a career; I just want to try it out and see if I like it.

I have about a year or so... I'm applying for law school in the fall. I wanted to go abroad while I'm waiting to hear back.

My main objectives are to brush up my language skills, experience long-term living abroad, and immerse myself into culture I know nothing about.

I have checked out the job list, but most are really crappy about getting back to me or require a few thousand to participate.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, well hopefully someone has some specific suggestions for you. Naturegirl - frequent poster here - might have some ideas for you if she hasn't seen this thread yet. If Mexico is on your shortlist of places you might try posting there too...it's the most active board of the Latin American countries and there are plenty of job options around the country. Something might fit your bill.
thirdeyeopen

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, she did reply to some of my other posts about LatinAm...

I would work in Mexico, but only in Jalisco or Oaxaca.
Even though I don't like to get swept up in the media frenzy, many Mexican-Americans tell me it's way too dangerous to be there right now sooo I think I'll pass.

I prefer going to another LatinAm country because I've been to Mexico at least once a year before the drug war. Other Latin American countries I'd like to spend time in are: Guatemala, Costa Rica, Peru, Colombia, and Ecuador. [/u]
danjaker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are from the US you shouldnt have any problem finding work teaching there. I have a 4 year old son who was born in Colombia, so I live there off and on, I did work for a company called Ingles Bogota for a little while. But dont always expect to be paid on time lol. They are there, just takes looking. Also I had no previous experience before that, no degree or certificate, so you shouldnt have a problem. You do need to know how to get around the city though through some companies, as they had me go out to 2 or 3 locations a day...
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
Hmm, well hopefully someone has some specific suggestions for you. Naturegirl - frequent poster here - might have some ideas for you if she hasn't seen this thread yet.

Just saw it. Don't have any experience directly with Colombia, unless you count one of my friends here who's COlombian. I'm sure there are jobs out there. The Paginas Amarillas, Yellow Pages, might have lists of shcools.
I've heard that Barnquilla and Medellin are gorgeous. we're hoping to visit them next year.

Visas will be an issue, like they are in most Latin American countries.

Again, I echo: Latin America is NOT the place to make money, you go there for the lifestyle. I'm sure there are posters who make decent money, but they've usually been around a while and have lots of quals, experience, and connectsion.s
windowlicker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:

I've heard that Barnquilla and Medellin are gorgeous. we're hoping to visit them next year.

Skip Barranquilla. Whoever told you it�s gorgeous is wrong.

naturegirl321 wrote:
Again, I echo: Latin America is NOT the place to make money, you go there for the lifestyle. I'm sure there are posters who make decent money, but they've usually been around a while and have lots of quals, experience, and connectsion.s

Just out of curiousity, when you say this are you referring only to work at language institutes? At least in Colombia, you can make decent money at high schools and universities. I�m able to save about $10K/year working at a high school and I�m not even at the upper range of high school salaries in Colombia. I�d been in Colombia one year before landing the job, had one year institute experience and a CELTA. If I had a whole family to support, maybe I would no longer feel this was a great salary, but at the moment I feel like I�m doing better economically than most of my friends back in the States. Another friend of mine is working with no real qualifications or experience at a high school in Lima and says he�s making $2000/month. He arrived in Peru a couple months ago.

I know you�ve been around for a while, so I�m curious...do you feel this is just really not typical, do you not consider this to be a good salary, are you not willing to work in high schools, or what?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windowlicker wrote:
Just out of curiousity, when you say this are you referring only to work at language institutes? At least in Colombia, you can make decent money at high schools and universities. I�m able to save about $10K/year working at a high school and I�m not even at the upper range of high school salaries in Colombia. I�d been in Colombia one year before landing the job, had one year institute experience and a CELTA. If I had a whole family to support, maybe I would no longer feel this was a great salary, but at the moment I feel like I�m doing better economically than most of my friends back in the States. Another friend of mine is working with no real qualifications or experience at a high school in Lima and says he�s making $2000/month. He arrived in Peru a couple months ago.

I know you�ve been around for a while, so I�m curious...do you feel this is just really not typical, do you not consider this to be a good salary, are you not willing to work in high schools, or what?

No, I'm referring to international schools, schools, and universities. I'd be VERY curious to know what school your friend is at. ONly intl schools pay like that and with no experience or quals he wouldn't get it. Just to give you an idea:
I got paid $700 at a prestigious bilingual school in La Molina where I taught middle and high school
and $1500 at an international school in Surco where I taught primary school. (had 5 years exp, 3 teaching certs and halfway done with my MA at that time and that's the salary I got)

Maybe your friend's salary is BEFORE taxes and all that, which area about 30%, I'm talking after taxes, pension, and alll the deductions.

I'm willing to work in primary and secondary schools. I have. Pay still stinks espeically when you consider the time, effort, and stress that goes into it. I could make half that in a uni and teach only 3 to 4 hours a day, go home and be done. Then fill the rest of my time with privates or another uni job or an institute job. I did the primary and secondary school gigs for a bit and then other things.

It's not typical, what your friend is getting. 5 to 10 bucks an hour is the norm at insituttes and to get into a school or uni, you have to have quaflifications, be there during hiring season, and experience.

DOn't get me wrong: we saved alright. We paid cash for a $25 house after a bit, but we also made a lot of sacrifices to do so. Both of us worked and we scrimped and saved every penny.

I left Latin America, but in my first year here, I save $15K, paid for a $3K vacation, spent $4500 on flights, and spent $10K on my education. And that was in addition to living pretty well and paying an arm and a leg for housing. And I'm the only one working

So in Colombia, what are typical salaries? You're able to save $10K a year, so is hiousing free? Low taxes?

OP, since you're interested in all of Latin America, you might want to take a look at this link http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=84349&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
windowlicker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
I'd be VERY curious to know what school your friend is at. ONly intl schools pay like that and with no experience or quals he wouldn't get it.

I believe the school is called Colegio Alpamayo. I don�t know too much else beyond that.
windowlicker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:

So in Colombia, what are typical salaries? You're able to save $10K a year, so is hiousing free? Low taxes?

A typical high school salary would be $3 million to $4.5 million pesos...roughtly $1,650 to $2,500 USD. In my case, housing isn�t free, which is true for most high school teachers hired locally. Personally, housing runs me about $180/month, but I live in a small city and it could be twice that in Bogota. Depending on the type of contract you get, taxes are low. Under my contract the employer pays all taxes, so I don�t have to pay any. Under the type of contract I previously had, I was paying 8-9% tax. Also depending on the type of contract you have you get paid a bonus in December and June.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: