Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Mexico City safe from drug cartel war, or the next target
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Is Mexico City safe from drug cartel war, or the next target Reply with quote

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/17/world/americas/mexico-city-security/index.html?hpt=hp_bn2
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Is Mexico City safe from drug cartel war, or the next ta Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/17/world/americas/mexico-city-security/index.html?hpt=hp_bn2

It could boil over at any moment. Only the large DF police force, the AFI, and some elite units of the Mexican military (Presidential Guard, Spec Forces etc) and the Mexican military HQ presence keep things from exploding as it is right now.

Also the cartels gain nothing by declaring open war in el DF.

But then again, few Mexicans or foreigners thought the country was going to devolve into a state of virtual civil war with 50,000 dead and another 10,000 missing (dead, no bodies found).

But I think it is a good bet that things will get much worse before they get better. Think govt. death squads and open warfare in the streets of Mexico DF mixed in with political killings and car bombings.

Now you can start to get a mental image of how bad it will get.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? Did we read the same article? That is not what I got out of it at all. And just for the sake of comparison, how many people died in the US last year in drug related incidents?
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Mexico City safe from drug cartel war, or the next ta Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
few Mexicans or foreigners thought the country was going to devolve into a state of virtual civil war with 50,000 dead and another 10,000 missing (dead, no bodies found).

Right!

Prof.Gringo wrote:
But I think it is a good bet that things will get much worse before they get better. Think govt. death squads and open warfare in the streets of Mexico DF mixed in with political killings and car bombings.

It's possible with the lack of control these days.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
Really? Did we read the same article? That is not what I got out of it at all. And just for the sake of comparison, how many people died in the US last year in drug related incidents?

Mexico is on FIRE! And how can anybody deny that the violence is real? EVERYDAY more people DIE!

This is not a joke or something which is being blown out of proportion by the media. If anything, it is being understated.

Mexico averages 10,000 people dead each year just from the drug WAR.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Mexico City safe from drug cartel war, or the next ta Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:
few Mexicans or foreigners thought the country was going to devolve into a state of virtual civil war with 50,000 dead and another 10,000 missing (dead, no bodies found).

Right!

Prof.Gringo wrote:

It's possible with the lack of control these days.

It is already happening...
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:

Prof.Gringo wrote:
And how can anybody deny that the violence is real? EVERYDAY more people DIE!

Good insight Prof. Gringo. Thanks.
geaaronson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of any prospective impending drug war there, DF is not a safe place.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geaaronson wrote:

I don't feel that way at all. When you were living here, did you have some unpleasant experiences that led you to that conclusion?
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geaaronson wrote:

The whole city? Funny, it hasn't made it to my neighborhood yet. No one on my street has been burglarized in the 20+ years I have lived here. I have never been a crime victim, except for a minor picpocketing on the Metro years ago, and the only thing that has happened in my husband business is that people have left without paying. Where, exactly, is all this crime happening? I am not saying it isn't happening, that would be naive. Crime happens everywhere, but that doesn't make an entire city unsafe.
geaaronson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goodness Isla Guapa.
I was robbed of my wallet the second day of my arrival.

On another occasion, I had my cell stolen on the way to SantaFe. Yes, it was in my leather pouch attached to my belt.

I had a boss who was robbed at knifepoint in front of the grocery store you frequent most, I had a student who was robbed of his vehicle on a date with his girlfriend on a Saturday nite on the street behind the Brazilian embassy, an�ther friend whose laptop was stolen from the Starbucks next to the embassy.....that`s just for starters....oh yes, my Mexican neighbor who was robbed by the police in the little park where I took your photo at 3 a.m....need I go on��
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
geaaronson wrote:

I don't feel that way at all. When you were living here, did you have some unpleasant experiences that led you to that conclusion?

Same here. I've had a bike stolen and in my first year, 200 pesos lifted from my back pocket in the metro. Typical big city problems like gearonson notes...auto theft is the other big issue here.

DF is an easy place to call safe though, as far as big cities go. It has its areas for higher crime, but otherwise it's fine.

As for Mexico being on FIRE and the drug war, well look at the map and the headlines. Mexico City doesn't even get a mention on the state department website anymore. http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5440.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geaaronson wrote:
My goodness Isla Guapa.
I was robbed of my wallet the second day of my arrival.

On another occasion, I had my cell stolen on the way to SantaFe. Yes, it was in my leather pouch attached to my belt.

I had a boss who was robbed at knifepoint in front of the grocery store you frequent most, I had a student who was robbed of his vehicle on a date with his girlfriend on a Saturday nite on the street behind the Brazilian embassy, an�ther friend whose laptop was stolen from the Starbucks next to the embassy.....that`s just for starters....oh yes, my Mexican neighbor who was robbed by the police in the little park where I took your photo at 3 a.m....need I go on��

Wow, either you and your acquaintances here had a run of bad luck, or I am an extremely lucky woman. Of course, you would never find me in any park anywhere in the world at 3 a.m. The person who had his laptop stolen at the Starbucks next to the US Embassy. Was this done at gunpoint? It's certainly an unlikely place for a robbery to take place with all of the people who are always in there, including a private security guard.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Of course, you would never find me in any park anywhere in the world at 3 a.m.

Hmm...drama. A 3 AM park engagement that didn't happen. Embellishment or truth?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
Quote:
Of course, you would never find me in any park anywhere in the world at 3 a.m.

Hmm...drama. A 3 AM park engagement that didn't happen. Embellishment or truth?

I agree that geaaronson's sentence is a bit confusing:

Quote:
my Mexican neighbor who was robbed by the police in the little park where I took your photo at 3 a.m...

I didn't have a date to have my picture taken at 3 am. in the little park near my house. I think that geaaronson was referring to a neighbor of his who was robbed at that ungodly hour.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: