Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hmmm, a bit light
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecocks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
Yes, couch surfing is innately a bit riskier than hotels or hostels. But there is a vouching system on the site whereby hosts can accrue credit as guests comment that their stay was pleasant and without any unwelcome...intrusions.

Different strokes for different folks.

The site is basically another facebook, with an emphasis on organizing meetings, language exchanges, picnics, etc. Heck, you can log in with your facebook account. The group is active and meets several times a week in Warsaw, Gdansk, Wroclaw and other Polish cities.

TY, sounds worth looking into it. I just didn't realize it was more than the name implied.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some parts of town, I hear the police don't move you on if you bed down for the night in a shop doorway.
Infinite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynow wrote:

A "very nice summer house" in the summer in Austria.....for 20 euro a night, regardless of the number of guests? hmmm.....

Yup, very much possible, just like anywhere else - there are the tourist traps like Zakopane in Poland or nice places, where you can enjoy great food, great sights and inexpensive stay. By where I'm at right now, you can find a VERY nice room right smack in the middle of a beautiful valley, with home made breakfast, local mushrooms, eggs ... "swojskie jadło" for 40PLN per night... if you want to go cheaper, you still can, we have "schroniska" where you can stay for as low as 18pln per night with a nice bar, kitchen and also in an amazing location. It's all about actually looking. I have students who'd lived here their entire lives and had never been to those places, they prefer Egypt...
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: So Ecocks..... Reply with quote

So Ecocks are you staying or going? Did they have your money and say 'Oh sorry, we can't help you' or have you got that permission to work legally in Poland.

Ain't so easy is it? Costly process? Would you have come if you'd known? Bureaucracy efficient or totally confusing, contradictory and misleading? You don't post so much these days. We miss the positivity.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynow wrote:
A "very nice summer house" in the summer in Austria.....for 20 euro a night, regardless of the number of guests? hmmm.....

Easily done in Styria in summer. Austria isn't much of a summer destination for some strange reason (probably because everyone is headed to Croatia) - so you can get fantastic deals on accommodation.

The trick is simply to avoid the crowds, which makes for a thoroughly pleasant holiday anyway. When I was there in summer, we went to different aquaparks every single day - there are so many in that part of the world, and all of them were very reasonably priced.

I'm thinking about a trip now somewhere in the winter break, and I've already found plenty of decent accommodation in the Czech Republic in that 20 euro price range. Airbnb is your friend - as long as you can drive and have a car, you can easily pick up accommodation in some great areas.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Delph Reply with quote

Please post some pics-I'd love to see this 'great' 20 Euro accommodation. The good thing about Vienna is that Bratislava is so near Smile
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With pleasure.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1186246

The second picture shows the house in question, and the pictures there don't do the surrounding area any justice at all. Maribor and Graz were half an hour away by car, there were many interesting Austrian/Slovenian towns close by - and the accommodation also contained a decent sized living room and bathroom (not shown, sadly) with full kitchen facilities. There was also decent wi-fi access, free of charge.

People were also very charming in the village, willing to try and talk to us with our broken German - and there were plenty of things to do within walking distance, including the obligatory pub.

20 Euro a night was more than acceptable for such decent accommodation. Decent restaurants were only a very short drive/taxi away as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: