Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Few Questions....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should know by now that if you ask a question here - no matter how silly - some clown will post an answer !

The meaning of life is vanilla ice cream.
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: I scream Reply with quote

Dear scot47,
Silly rabbit - it's chocolate, NOT vanilla.
Regards,
John
SEndrigo

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Sarcasm Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:
I don't normally indulge myself thus, but the answers to those questions could just as easily have been found in the Job Information Journal, for example. However, Sendrigo obligingly gave the lady what she wanted.
Next question please.
"Can anyone tell me the meaning of life?"
Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

Spot on grahamb, I always give the ladies what they want Smile

You're right about the JIJ, but since there's so little activity in this forum, why not help her out?

the meaning of life....this, however, is another question....which I'll answer at a later point!
Mouse

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
You should know by now that if you ask a question here - no matter how silly - some clown will post an answer !

And if it's in the Spain forum, that clown will often be me.

Personally, I don't mind posting my highly subjective opinions in lieu of proper answers that could be found using the highly efficient and well-programmed search facility integral to this online... community. And it is a community -- we have our clowns, and our deep thinkers, our seekers after questions (and enlightenment), and apparently our fair share of grumpy/disillusioned types, too... Wink
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Like Italy, forget about the south....I don't need to list the reasons why

Oh, go on SEndrigo! I'm sure we'd all be interested to hear...
SEndrigo

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teacher in Rome wrote:
Quote:
Like Italy, forget about the south....I don't need to list the reasons why

Oh, go on SEndrigo! I'm sure we'd all be interested to hear...

Oh but I'd rather not....I'd rather focus on the positives Smile

Anyway, no one cares about my opinion regarding the "terroni".... Laughing
tara_lee_anne

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to all who actually answered my questions! Sounds like if I want to travel I should show up with quite a bit of money in my savings account! lol. I am not really in this for the money because we all know there really isn't any in this position, so I plan on being very prepared before I take off. Thanks again!
lozwich

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tara,

I read on a different forum (oh my god, a life outside Dave's??? Shocked ) that if you don't have a job worked out before you arrive, you should have about 3 months money in the bank just to be safe. Exactly how much that is, I don't really know, but maybe 3,000 euro??

I have a question too, although lots of my questions have been answered in this thread, this one remains a mystery....

Here in Mexico, you have to provide everything when you rent an apartment. I mean, shelves, cupboards, stove, gas tanks, toilet seat etc etc etc. What does the average apartment come with in Spain? If you usually have to buy furniture, what amount will furnishing an apartment simply set a person back?

Thangs.

Lozwich.
tara_lee_anne

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great question Lozwich! Very Happy Can anyone answer this for us?
Mouse

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends, really, but pre-furnished flats are generally more expensive to rent. The flat I'm currently in retails at around 250 Euros a month, including all bills except phone and electricity (so, including water, cleaning and lighting of communal areas, etc), and included shelves, pictures, mops, furniture, but nothing cooking related... I've been offered another flat, with two bedrooms, tv, etc, for a bit more, and am thinking about it at the moment. But, as I'm fond of saying, this is purely anecdotal, and may well be different in Madrid or other big cities.
SEndrigo

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse wrote:
Depends, really, but pre-furnished flats are generally more expensive to rent. The flat I'm currently in retails at around 250 Euros a month, including all bills except phone and electricity (so, including water, cleaning and lighting of communal areas, etc), and included shelves, pictures, mops, furniture, but nothing cooking related... I've been offered another flat, with two bedrooms, tv, etc, for a bit more, and am thinking about it at the moment. But, as I'm fond of saying, this is purely anecdotal, and may well be different in Madrid or other big cities.

Crikey!

do you live alone Mouse? that's a fantastic deal, even for Barca !!

there's no easy way to answer her question though...there is a tremendous range in prices. For example, in Madrid, on or near Gran Via (centre) you can find a flatshare for 300 Euros, but go just 15 mins south of the centre and you might find one for 200.

as far as what is included, this depends on many factors. Where I stayed, I shared a flat with someone else, so everything was already furnished (bed, desk, closet, microwave, coffee machine, etc)

I have found that most flats are already furnished!
Mouse

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live alone, yes, but the flat is small, has a horrible view and the entryway is a cave (I like the sort of monastic feel though -- helps me feel all cerebral when I'm tapping away on my books). Oh yes, and it's not in Barcelona, it's in a town outside (although the rent in towns near Barca is going through the roof as commuting gets more popular). I'm looking at a fully-furnished place with a couple of bedrooms, for about 400 now, and that's quite normal around here.
ana

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very cheap, lucky mouse.

I've been living in Madrid for over a year and the cheapest place I heard of was a room for 120 euro, small but in Malasana - cool area. Generally rooms are 250 - 400 euro and usually furnished. Finding a place to live is generally more difficult than finding work. Although I'm English and quallified so I've never had a problem finding work.

Life in Spain is great. You can easily spend all your money shopping and sociallising but there are also millions of places to visit too. Madrid is lots of fun. Nightlife is 24 hour, restauants are cheap and varied and that's about all I can tell you cause that's all I spend my money on.

People are people. In Spain they're Spanish and are serious about enjoying life.

pues nada
Anna Very Happy
SEndrigo

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse wrote:
I live alone, yes, but the flat is small, has a horrible view and the entryway is a cave (I like the sort of monastic feel though -- helps me feel all cerebral when I'm tapping away on my books). Oh yes, and it's not in Barcelona, it's in a town outside (although the rent in towns near Barca is going through the roof as commuting gets more popular). I'm looking at a fully-furnished place with a couple of bedrooms, for about 400 now, and that's quite normal around here.

so do you commute to Barcelona? how long does that take?

I couldn't imagine living in the suburbs of Madrid, even though the Cercanias trains are fantastic....it just gets too easy to take the Madrid metro to work (it's fast, convenient, and cheap).
Mouse

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That is very cheap, lucky mouse.

Lucky Mouse? Ah, if only it were true! Wink Actually, 250 isn't ridiculously cheap where I live. 120, on the other hand, would be... was that sharing a flat?

Quote:
In Spain they're Spanish and are serious about enjoying life.

Not here. But then again, the Catalans are always telling people that they're not Spanish... Maybe it's just the people in my town who are closed-minded, tight-fisted and xenophobic... Or option two, maybe I just bring out the best in people! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: