Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salary in company
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janek

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxx

Last edited by Janek on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, bear in mind that 2500zl net is 3500zl brutto - why would an English speaker in a first line CS environment get more? I know the call centres in Poznan were paying 2700zl-2800zl brutto, which shows you how easy it is to get an English speaker.

Quote:
Maybe it is all different in Poznan. But in Krakow a serious and professional teacher/native speaker with his own business shouldn't accept to be paid worse than a trainer or team leader.

I do agree that someone invoicing shouldn't accept less - the risks all lie with the self employed individual, and without a cast-iron contract that ties them into a certain amount of hours, the contractor stands to lose everything.

What I used to do was insist on x hours over y months - so for instance, I'd have an agreement for 50 hours between September and the winter holidays with a school/client. We would agree a set time for the classes, and they could be rescheduled if both parties agreed. If they didn't use all the hours by January, then they were lost and I was paid for them regardless.

The thing with those sweat-schools is that they do often take advantage of desperate native speakers. I know one guy who was let go from what he thought was a great job - he made the mistake of working on umowa o dzielo, and they let him go in November as they found someone local that could do the job for less. So he went into teaching, and one of those schools did some digging and found out that he had a financial services background. But they also knew that he was desperate, so they offered him a mere 45zl an hour to go and teach in companies - what could he do but accept? He wasn't going to get a block of reliable work anywhere else in November.

I just had a look at the tax calculator, and it's showing me that 5000zl net on umowa o prace is 7000zl brutto. That doesn't include employer contributions, so roughly speaking -

5000zl net - umowa o prace
7000zl gross
8100zl - cost to employer

So certainly, anyone invoicing a company should be aiming at 80-90zl an hour as a bare minimum. I'm very much of the opinion however that anyone considering giving up over 20 hours a week to a single company should be looking at being employed properly rather than an arms-length agreement however.
dynow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delphian-domine wrote:

Quote:
There is no way that most language schools are getting anything near 150PLN an hour for corporate classes.

granted I've been out of the game since 2011, but that's about what my school(s) got. for individual total immersion packages, they got exactly that.

some schools rely almost entirely on corporate accounts, whether they be in house, out house, where ever house. they simply could not function profiting 15zl/hr. that barely pays for electric.

I used to get 150zl for 90 minutes of private lessons. If there were 2 of them, I'd usually just tell them 100zl each, giving me 200zl for 90 min. Why would a corporation not be willing to pay 150zl/hr to teach say 8 of their employees?

You've been in the game long enough Delph, I'm a little surprised at what you're writing.
Janek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: