Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Little Piece Of Home
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesll

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lozwich,
Thanks for the welcome. I'll get on to it right away!
J
lozwich

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesII, in the immortal words of my countryfolk, no worries, love! Laughing

Hey sheep man, if you're bringing women from Tralfmador, can we have a couple of men too?? Very Happy

Do they have people selling all kinds of things on the streets in Spain? I'm going to miss that about Mexico. Yesterday, I bought these cheesy keyrings for some friends of mine in Oz, and ate my lunch in a side alley of the market. Some mornings I buy my breakfast on the streets, and at Christmas time I bought a really stupid hat (which is coming with me to Spain of course!) out the front of the cathedral. Oh, and when there's something special happening at any of the 15 churches here in my tiny town, there's always a stand out the front selling kickass strong c'ocktails, so you can get plastered before you go in!

Ah.

L.
Mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, welcome aboard this crazy ship, JamesII. Your suggestion of curries (indeed, any variety of food) might well whip my students into a frenzy of outrage by implying that the food here doesn't satisfy every culinary demand under the sun. I, however, think it's a bloody brilliant idea. And sausage rolls (your suggestion, right TiR?) is also inspired. It's a pleasure, nay a privilege, to post on the same boards as you.

And yes, Lozwich, you can buy cheap tatt on the street here, too! Very Happy But I've never seen them selling alcoholic drinks outside churches...

My suggestion for the day, inspired by my memories of this winter (hasn't this half a year gone fast?!), is double glazing and central heating in all houses. Sweating hot in summer and freezing in winter, yes, Spain truly is blessed with the perfect climate.
lozwich

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ERmmm.... this may sound like a completely bleeding obvious idea, but why don't you make your own curries?? Surely being so close to Morocco means there's plenty of spices around?? All you do is throw them in a pan, stir them about a bit, and wham! there's your curry.

Yeah?

And, I believe I mentioned the sausage rolls, Sr. Mouse.

Harumph.

Wink
jamesll

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lozzie,
You can normally pick up some turmeric, cumin and bog standard curry powder but as for the other 657 ingredients necessary to make a proper curry, you've got two hopes: Bob Hope and no hope. Supermarkets around where I live have this annoying habit of only stocking products that people will actually buy.

There was a rumour that went round the English teaching community here recently that a supply of coriander had managed to get through (someone apparently thought is was parsley). In the end it came to nothing, but at least for a few hours our hopes had been raised and it is things like this that help to keep you going.

I'm afraid Spain's proximity to Morocco doesn't really help. France is to the north and you would think that we would get some decent wine here, but no. Portugal is to the west and you would think we could get some decent... you know, but we don't.

Catch you later

Jamesie
lozwich

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Send me a shopping list kids. How can a person possibly be expected to live without CURRY??? I bet you could get stuff like this in Madrid - wonder if Graham font of Madrid knowledge would know..

Anyone wants stuff bought over that's not going to get me arrested, send me a PM and lots of Euro.

Lozwich.
(otherwise known as Lozzi, no e thanks Jamesie! Wink )
stillnosheep

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lozwich wrote:

Hey sheep man, if you're bringing women from Tralfmador, can we have a couple of men too?? Very Happy L.

Do your own pimpin!
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy some coriander seeds, plant the seeds, water them, then watch your fresh coriander grow. If you don't use it all at once, freeze it.

Next time you go anywhere near an Asian shop, you can pick up everything you need for a curry. (It's best to get seeds rather than powder, as you can crush the seeds as you need them. The flavour of powder tends to go off after a while.) You'll need: fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, cumin and coriander seeds, peppercorns, and a couple of packets of garam masala and chilli powder. Cans of coconut milk as well as cardamon pods also come in handy. The other ingredients - such as fresh ginger and chilli - will probably need to be bought locally.

E voila - or should that be ole?
lozwich

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMMMMMMMM! Exactamente TiR!!

Hey! Maybe I'll have a BIG PARTY when I get to Spain and make curry and serve Damn Estrellas, and any other Bloody Beers I can find! YAY! Trash my new apartment! Laughing

Another item for the list..

Live blues music accompanied by fine whisky.

Loz.
jamesll

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lozi,
Ahhh fine whisky, now tou're yalking! Confused

Scotch? Irish? American? Have you tried the Spanish variety? Dyc's the name. It has a certain 'je ne sais quoi'.

Jamesie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: