Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you support a family teaching ESL in Latin America?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
just_a_mirage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I raised three kids as a single mom in Ecuador. It was not easy. It meant working two and three jobs to make ends meet. But in the end, I have raised bilingual children who have years of experience volunteering and who know that many people live without electricty, clean water, enough to eat, etc. My middle child is now following in my footsteps and is teaching first and second grade English in Ecuador.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

santi84 wrote:
What is considered good qualifications there? I have an undergraduate in TESL with post-grad certificate. I think I could pick up Portuguese and Spanish fairly well, I hope, as I do speak French. I find that Spanish is somewhat intelligible with French.

A cert and teaching experience is great, but the focus right now is really on Port speakers, so if you could pick up the basics. French will help a bit, give it a try, can´t hurt.
lotuseater

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:

Oh and as to what BBB said. I've lived in Mexico for nearly 17 years. For the first time ever I've started thinking that we might need to leave. It's been pretty hard to love Mexico these last six months, and I think anyone who doesn't feel the same must be living in some sort of expat bubble.

Since both you and BBB have posted similar thoughts about leaving, I find this to be disheartening news. Unfortunately, I don't follow politics. It seems that if I want to travel to Mexico to work, I should read up on current events? Is the political climate making the area unsafe for foreigners?

Do you mind sharing a bit more? I'm not a person who is 'afraid' to explore new international work opportunities, but neither do I want to be foolish about my choices (there are actually opportunities to teach EFL in Afghanistan right now, but I can't imagine anyone who would be interested!).

Thanks for your time,
LE
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: NO! Reply with quote

Yes (maybe) if

you are married to a citizen and live in the country you want to teach in with your spouse, then yes..but if your spouse is unemployed it's doubtful.

an elite private school is offering you a job and your child(ren) would attend the school for free and the visa and at least your airfare is paid for.

you have significant savings and/or another income source that could help you pay for start up expenses.

But otherwise no.

Assuming you are all non Latin American citizens, you'd need a visa for yourself, your spouse and your children.

Assuming you don't live in Latin America, you'd need to get there.. if you live in Tucson AZ and are going to northern Mexico perhaps you could take a bus or even drive your own car, but (of course) for the vast majority of jobs that means you'd fly there.

Your children simply must be in a private school in Latin America.

Few jobs pay for the visa or flight even for you, let alone a family.

So no.. you can't earn enough to pay for 3 visas, 3 flights there, a private school education plus enough to eat and pay rent.
MotherF

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lotuseater wrote:
MotherF wrote:

Oh and as to what BBB said. I've lived in Mexico for nearly 17 years. For the first time ever I've started thinking that we might need to leave. It's been pretty hard to love Mexico these last six months, and I think anyone who doesn't feel the same must be living in some sort of expat bubble.

Since both you and BBB have posted similar thoughts about leaving, I find this to be disheartening news. Unfortunately, I don't follow politics. It seems that if I want to travel to Mexico to work, I should read up on current events? Is the political climate making the area unsafe for foreigners?

Do you mind sharing a bit more? I'm not a person who is 'afraid' to explore newly uinternationalinternational work opportunities, but neither do I want to be foolish about my choices (there are actually opportunities to teach EFL in Afghanistan right now, but I can't imagine anyone who would be interested!).

Thanks for your time,
LE

I addressed this in the Mexico form in a thread with 2015 in the title.

To the pretty gringa, I agree with you on everything except kid's school. My kids started in a public school, moved to a private, and now are back to public. Private wasn't really any better---and their classmates were horrid!!! I'd rather deal with the strikes than those awful entitled brats as friends for my kids. Laughing
Cruiser

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
Full disclosure,.... we ate home grown chayotes, beans, and tortillas from corn we grew everyday for the second week of each two week pay period.

really? cool ...what a good idea...
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:

To the pretty gringa, I agree with you on everything except kid's school. My kids started in a public school, moved to a private, and now are back to public. Private wasn't really any better---and their classmates were horrid!!! I'd rather deal with the strikes than those awful entitled brats as friends for my kids. Laughing

I agree with MotherF about the schools. There are some exceptions, but most of the lower tier private schools are not any better and in many cases worse than the public schools. In Mexico City, a lot of the kids going to those had been kicked out of public schools. I ended up homeschooling my son as I wanted him to be Bi-lingual and a true Bi-lingual school wasn´t going to happen. as MotherF pointed out, the kids at a lot of those schools are total asses. Either way, half of what kids know they get at home anyway, reading to them, explaining things to them. I have taught in many schools, public and private, and most of them - even a lot of the elite ones - are overrated. Good parents can fill in the gaps at home.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cruiser wrote:
MotherF wrote:
Full disclosure,.... we ate home grown chayotes, beans, and tortillas from corn we grew everyday for the second week of each two week pay period.

really? cool ...what a good idea...

That´s me this week. My husband went to Mexico City for a week and somehow took both bank cards, leaving me with $100 (pesos, not dollars, haha) in cash on hand. Beans for lunch every day, some nopales that are growing out back (free), eggs from our chickens, so far I have only spent $10 on a newspaper, haha, instead of food. Nopales fried with some onions and a couple of eggs are very tasty.
lotuseater

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:

MF, thank you for your response. I will read through the posts again.

LE
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="lotuseater"]
MotherF wrote:

MF, thank you for your response. I will read through the posts again.

LE[/quote

I addressed it as well, I think in the same thread. It is, and isn´t about politics. It is complicated. But the bottom line is, there are fewer and fewer safe areas. We are actually considering moving back to DF if things don´t settle down in the next year, or sooner, if things get worse.
MixtecaMike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to join in late, but I have just looked in the LatAm forum for the first time in years as I am returning to that part of the world soon. I managed to support my wife and two kids in Guatemala and Mexico on my own earnings plus loans (which I paid back) from extended family for occasions such as births and moving to other countries. My wife and kids are all from Guatemala, we never got to visit my family (far away in NZ) and didn't own a fridge or car for several years, but we got by. I have spent the last 12 years or so in higher-paying parts of the world and the kids have been educated in English for the last 7 years, so they have had a taste of both sides of the coin. Basically now I hope to "get by" with a bit of teaching, a bit of more interesting things (carpentry and food), and a modest lifestyle. I have a house finished, plus hope to build another small one on land that is paid for. I'll probably get a cheap used car or get used to not having one again. If you want to go to LatAm to work for the experience, basically take what you need with you and learn to get by on what you earn. Enjoy the experience, learn Spanish, and stay very clear of politics.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MixtecaMike wrote:
Sorry to join in late, but I have just looked in the LatAm forum for the first time in years as I am returning to that part of the world soon.

Thanks for sharing, Mike! Please keep us posted on how things go as you transition back to life in Guatemala!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: