Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who's in Ibri?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sydney2002

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ibri students are some the nicest people I've ever met here at SQU. Likewise, there are some staff working in College of Law, Admissions & Reg. and at SQUH who are also from Ibri, and they are the salt of the earth! Just saying…

I've never actually been to Ibri. But I've heard even their goats are really nice:)
Ajmal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sydney2002 wrote:
Ibri students are some the nicest people I've ever met here at SQU. Likewise, there are some staff working in College of Law, Admissions & Reg. and at SQUH who are also from Ibri, and they are the salt of the earth! Just saying…

I've never actually been to Ibri. But I've heard even their goats are really nice:)

Laughing Laughing Too right! Their goats are all the craic!

I was given a lovely cake today Smile
Tazz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I suspected, the truly spaced out can happily reside anyplace.......by the way-have you visited the utterly charming pond where the frogs spawn yet? It's another must-see highlight of the area.....'OH MAN' it's sooooo neat! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Ajmal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
As I suspected, the truly spaced out can happily reside anyplace.......by the way-have you visited the utterly charming pond where the frogs spawn yet? It's another must-see highlight of the area.....'OH MAN' it's sooooo neat! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Attention deficit maybe.. I don't know!

But charity this is not, good day Smile
Ajmal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:

Attention deficit maybe.. I don't know!

But charity this is not, good day Smile
madrileno

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing the subject, anyone hear the rumor HCTs in the interior are having difficulty getting Westerners to move there?

Apparently some TATI people have been asked if they'd consider making a move to one of the interior colleges... No pay raise, of course!
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever

Last edited by Whatever will be on Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing new about that. It has never been easy to get teachers to go out there, which is why new teachers are never given a real option when they arrive. They will only get the location they choose if that is where they need the teacher. A little detail that is not always made clear at interview time.

VS
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider yourself a service provider.....wherever you end up in Oh Man....and lucky enough to have a job if you end up in IBRI! Shocked
Tazz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the HCT in the interior-and the hiring practices of the recruiters-IF only those recruiters would provide some much needed assistance to the new arrivals-it would make all the difference......certainly with regards accommodation and the like. How the hell is a newly arrived westerner-without access to transport or any knowledge of a sparse desert town. such as Ibri or Ibra, supposed to even go about finding somewhere to live? Of course we all do, with the charitable assistance of others....but given that the recruiters are taking a hefty cut of money every month-they really should be doing more. One more thing that I just can't understand is the way that new arrivals- and we are basically agency supplied labour, go about ensnaring themselves into years of debt shortly after arrival?!!! I mean, if you are on probation, with no job security from one year to the next-why the hell would you sign up for a massive loan to buy a 15-20 thou Omani rial car-when a little frugality during the 3 month probation period .....saving 3-400 a month, will buy you a decent 2nd hand car-that is immediately yours outright.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever

Last edited by Whatever will be on Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of ghastly spirits in Ibri.....especially in VERY OLD apartment buildings... watch out for the midnight on and off lights special!!! Shocked
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever

Last edited by Whatever will be on Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
omanoman

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

??? hours, days or weeks ? that's just not true

in Muscat, we have had scheduled water cuts announced in the news and they lasted 2-3 days but didn't affect life except to be careful with water, which we should do more of anyway. There was a bigger accidental break but no disruption to living / working that I could tell.

The power has been out 3-4 times in the last year in my neighborhood, the longest lasting about an hour.

yellow trucks do stink, of that there is no doubt.

Where do you live in Muscat? These things do happen but rarely. You make it sound like we're living in a village in rural India.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have had regular water (4 or 5 times) and electric (2-3 times) outages - without warning - some of which lasted for a day... and days. Last year the street just over a block from me lost power for over a week during the coldest part of the winter.

Oh... this was in a nicer suburb of Phoenix, Arizona, USA.

Rolling Eyes

VS
(didn't much like the yellow truck system in Muscat and was glad when I moved to a neighborhood that was hooked to the existing sewer system)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: