Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

crisis - army step in?/water shortages
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
travelbug66

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Madrileno, I guess that's good advice ! However, the Tragic Kingdom has sucked me dry of funds for that very reason ! So, I am really,really hoping that Oman turns out to be a positive experience and a place I can work happily for 10 years or more.
Actually, I am going to attempt the opposite, spend my savings on a 42" TV along with a PlayStation 4 - so I never feel bored in the apartment. Join a gym (even if it is £40-50), to have a healthy de-stressing routine every evening, go out almost every night for a meal or a coffee.
And the students ? I taught in Dhahran, working with Saudi Air Force Cadets. I think the Omani students will be much better.
But as you say, many people seem to have different views on countries/jobs. All I know is The Tragic Kingdom was really depressing me, and when I arrived back there the last time, everything just felt wrong !!

My first contract in Saudi, people told me there were two buckets - one for money, and one for sh**, and you leave when one of them was full, my second bucket filled real fast, and evidently even after 2-3 years of absence, was/is still full !!!

I will see how financially stable I am in 10 years time when I am in my mid 50's before I think of returning. Maybe the bad memories will have softened or my age will have softened me !!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously doubt that you (or anyone other than those from the subcontinent with their high tolerance) lasts 10 years in the hinterlands of Oman. Much depends on your ability to put your long term goals ahead of short-term. But long term western expat teachers in Oman are invariably at SQU and/or living in the capital area.

Personally I would think in terms of two years... then re-evaluate and think about another couple years. There also may be chances to move to another college in another part of Oman. Also attend TESOL Arabia to scope out other opportunities as time passes.

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
I seriously doubt that you (or anyone other than those from the subcontinent with their high tolerance) lasts 10 years in the hinterlands of Oman. Much depends on your ability to put your long term goals ahead of short-term. But long term western expat teachers in Oman are invariably at SQU and/or living in the capital area.
VS

There were several +10 years ex-pats at Rustaq when I was there. Two of them were forced out by the 60 years age rule but didn't want to leave.
travelbug66

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear VS - I know it is very hard to make long term plans with regards to your TEFL career as things can change very quickly. All I know is, I'm in my mid 40's now, newly divorced, sick of Saudi, not interested in HCT in UAE, or Kuwait which sounds pretty bad! I have done Asia, which leaves Oman and Qatar! I don't like living in big cities - but I have researched Sur,Oman a lot. And I think I could be very happy there.
I love the Sea/Coast, as I said earlier I have found out a new shopping mall is coming to Sur. It has a good cinema !!! God - how I missed that in Saudi.
And the money ? £22,000 or $38,000 a year.
Same as a bad contract in Saudi Arabia, but Oman will be at least 5 times better than Saudi Arabia.
I don't like driving, especially on busy/crazy roads, so if I do buy a second hand car, in Sur I know I will be driving 5-10 minutes to work.
I had a contract in Saudi which involved driving 1 hour there and back to work. My idea of hell.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mid 40's... still young. LOL Actually I arrived in Oman at 40, and finally left the Middle East in 2001... changing jobs/countries about every two contracts. But I have friends still at SQU that taught there with me in 1988 (my short attention span would never have allowed that Cool ).

Oman is a great place for outdoor activities. Many buy a 4WD and take up wadi and/or dune bashing. Lots of great areas for camping and hiking too. Another popular thing to do is take up diving.

Quote:
There were several +10 years ex-pats at Rustaq when I was there. Two of them were forced out by the 60 years age rule but didn't want to leave.

Many arrive there later in their career and when they get to their mid to late 50s find out that there isn't really anywhere they can go. So they stay until the country refuses to renew the work visa.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: