Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Julian Assange
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dedicated

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So who exactly is going to pay 'compensation' and 'compensation' on what grounds? Because he skipped bail and holed himself up for 3 + years in the Ecuador Embassy?
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Restorative justice? Reply with quote

sheikh radlinrol wrote:
grahamb wrote:
Quote:
Julian should compensate us.

Cheque, please!

No cheques, please! Cash up front, mate! Julian has a history of shitting on friends, one of whom put up bail and lost his cash, I believe. I´m willing to stand corrected on this and retract my comment if I´m proved wrong. His cheques are rubbery.

Assange was and still is convinced of his self importance. He's Narcissistic. He's no Whistleblower.

Some of the people on this website might believe in the existence of some Western Evil Empires. Fine go move to and live in and stay in Allah's land.
grahamb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Diplomacy Reply with quote

Quote:
The role of the embassy is not to shield fugitives sought by our European partners and allies. Let´s break off relations with Ecuador, tell their Embajador to f*** off back to Quito, close the embassy and hand Julian over to the Swedes.

That would violate The Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations (1961), to which the UK is a party.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17905985

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Convention_on_Diplomatic_Relations
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Diplomacy Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:
Quote:
The role of the embassy is not to shield fugitives sought by our European partners and allies. Let´s break off relations with Ecuador, tell their Embajador to f*** off back to Quito, close the embassy and hand Julian over to the Swedes.

That would violate The Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations (1961), to which the UK is a party.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17905985

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Convention_on_Diplomatic_Relations

I´m no diplomat but I´m convinced that we could break off diplomatic relations with Ecuador if the Foreign Secretary considered it prudent. Closure of the the embassy would then be easy.
grahamb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Ecuador Reply with quote

Given the impending referendum on the UK's membership of the EU, I'd say the question of diplomatic relations with Ecuador is not foremost in the Foreign Secretary's mind.
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ecuador Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:
Given the impending referendum on the UK's membership of the EU, I'd say the question of diplomatic relations with Ecuador is not foremost in the Foreign Secretary's mind.

Dead right!
gregory999

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest that Assange escape using a diplomatic car (which legally cannot be searched), head to France through Eurotunnel, then head to the nearest airport with an Ecuadorian airline, et voilà, Assange will be safe from the UK's Act 1987. Laughing
grahamb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Airport 2016? Reply with quote

Would you really inflict the misery of Paris Charles De Gaulle airport on him, Gregory? Wink
Dedicated

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assange is on the run from the law - there is a legitimate EU warrant for his arrest for bona fide criminal charges.

Assange applied to France for refugee status in July 2015, but the French President refused his request saying ' France cannot act on his request. The situation of Mr Assange does not present an immediate danger'.

There was an interesting article in the New York Times yesterday " How Julian Assange is destroying WikiLeaks", arguing that what we need is a WikiLeaks without the founder of WikiLeaks - his personal politics undermines WikiLeaks' neutrality.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/08/opinion/how-julian-assange-is-destroying-wikileaks.html

Meanwhile in Australia, an article ' Julian Assange - hero and villain'.

[/url] https://newmatilda.com/2016/02/08/julian-assange-hero-and-villain/[url][/url]
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregory999 wrote:
I suggest that Assange escape using a diplomatic car (which legally cannot be searched), head to France through Eurotunnel, then head to the nearest airport with an Ecuadorian airline, et voilà, Assange will be safe from the UK's Act 1987. Laughing

One small problem with your escape plan, 007. In the case of the Ecuadorian embassy the car would have to get up the steps and into the embassy itself, which I suppose, was once a West London mansion house.
Julian should have chosen a bigger embassy with vehicle access.
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the police watching the embassy 24 hours a day? If not, I'm sure he could sneak out and probably has often already.
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:
Are the police watching the embassy 24 hours a day? If not, I'm sure he could sneak out and probably has often already.

Maybe he nips out for a few pints and a curry. Some good pubs in the area.
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just remembered, most embassies in London have UK police outside anyway.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:

British police must earn a lot more than their U.S. counterparts, for the cost of "policing his confinement" to have reached the £3.6 million being claimed.

gregory999

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xie Lin wrote:
Hod wrote:

British police must earn a lot more than their U.S. counterparts, for the cost of "policing his confinement" to have reached the £3.6 million being claimed.

£3.6 million?

Scotland Yard has spent about £10m providing a 24-hour guard at the Ecuadorean embassy in London since Wikileaks founder Julian Assange claimed asylum there, figures show.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31159594

"It is embarrassing to see the UK government spending more on surveillance and detaining an uncharged political refugee than on its investigation into the Iraq war, which killed hundreds of thousands," WikiLeaks spokesman Kristinn Hrafnsson said.

"[Sweden] is a country of impeccable democratic credentials with a well-respected judicial system that says [Julian Assange] should go to Sweden to face very serious allegations," he said.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31159594
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: