Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Distance Learning Degrees-Accredited and Unaccredited
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Bigelow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had posted (on the Saudi forum) a similar query about distance degrees being accepted in Saudi Arabia.
If you want to work in a niversity out in Saudi you must get your papers legalised by the Saudi Cultural Bureau in the country you obtained your degree. He called them in the states and was told that they will not approve ANY degree by distance, no matter which University!

I was really suprised to then I called and spoke to another person who told me exactly the same information!

Can this really be the case? As a side point, if you are working in the private sector then all you need is for it to be confirmed that you are the person on the Degree that's all.
cody jarrett

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Distance Masters Reply with quote

I have a distance MEd (TESOL) and I have recently worked in universities in Saudi Arabia and Oman.
Cody
Jim Bigelow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cody:

Was the Masters from the states and if so did you go to the Saudi Cultural Bureau to get it stamped?

Thanks!
cody jarrett

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Distance Masters Reply with quote

Jim,
the degree is from the University of Edinburgh, Scotland.
I got all the paperwork done at the Saudi embassy in Bangkok. It was a time consuming experience, but there was never any mention of 'distance' degrees, or returning to the UK, or to my own country Ireland.
Cody
livinginQatar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the degree doesn't mention 'distance' learning on it, then it might be overlooked. Most distance degrees don't mention that on the degree itself, however, it might be obvious on the transcript, I'm not sure.

I was going to get my Master's from IU in Bloomington by Distance Learning (they would know it was through correspondence since, duh, I'd still be here at work). When they told me the ministry might not accept it.... I didn't go through with it. Now that Americans are creeping their way into consultancy / expert posts at the U of Q and elsewhere, degree verification should be a little easier. I said 'should'. Who knows?
Mark100

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not heard of non acceptance of distance Masters in Saudi but nothing surprises me.
There is a similar discussion about this in the UAE section.
If true it just shows you how mean spirited employers are becoming.
I would have thought that someone who is doing a Masters by distance has more value as it shows you how committed the individual is and also how resourceful they are.
I wonder by what rationale are institutions deciding not to accept a Masters by distance?
The whole issue of qualifications in this industry is a murky one and given the cost of such qualifications and the decrease in real terms of salaries in this field over the last 20 years one has to pose the question of whether there are better employment options out there.
Jim Bigelow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main point from Saudi is that it is not the private sector employers (for the most part) that will cause any problems.
Even with a distance BA/MA it is not neccasary to get it certified from the Saudi Cultural Bureau. The regular office in London that approves/verifies your papesr are actually yours, is sufficent!
The problem is with the ministry of higher education and they will insist that you send your paprers to the Saudi Cultural Bureau in the country that your papers are from.
IF that's the UK it seems the offie there is pretty understanding but the problem is with the Saudi Cultural Bureau in the USA. THEY WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY PAPERS VIA DISTANCE!!!

It's madness isn't it!
ElizabethTheGreat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:08 am    Post subject: Question about university Reply with quote

Hi forum members,

I want to ask a question related to the theme of this thread. I want to know if unaccredited American university degrees that are awarded by state licensed institutions are accpetable in the Gulf and Middle East.

I am interested in knowing if degrees awarded by Pacific Western University are acceptable qualifications for teaching. Does any one have experience with PWU?

E
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: