Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching jobs for retired American lawyers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that the OP may imagine that he's got skills that the locals and natives of these locations don't have. That's not a practical assumption in most cases. Add this to the fact that all countries have visa restrictions, same as the US does, and that many of the locations s/he has listed have quite weak economies. They certainly tend to hire natives and long-term locals first, and there is little left over for an American retiree.
myrrha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching jobs for retired American lawyers Reply with quote

Retire to Teach wrote:
What are the teaching opportunities for a retired American lawyer? I’d prefer to teach at a university or to corporate managers. I’m interested in living comfortably in a nice location where I can supplement my income.

Pohnpei (Micronesia) might be an option. The College of Micronesia usually needs 1-2 classes a year taught in your areas of specialty. Note that this would be an adjunct position without benefits. Accordingly, teaching just these two classes would not allow you to break even--your salary might just cover housing. Still, cost-of-living here is much lower than elsewhere, and as an American, you would not need a work visa to stay.

Also...it would give you an in if/when full-time positions open up at the College. With your background, you should then qualify for a salary that will allow you to save significantly.

See the thread in the General Asia Forum for more specific details.
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have pension income, you can get a retirement visa for Mexico. Lawyers generally have good rhetoric skills. I suggest you google opportunitites to be a digital nomad editing or content writing, or consulting, rather than teaching.
Retire to Teach

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Teaching Visas Reply with quote

It’s a myth that Americans cannot work in Europe. Americans can and do get visas and jobs to teach English in Europe. Americans also get work visas to do many other types of work in Europe. This is not to say it’s easy.

Austria has a number of programs that hire large numbers of Americans each year to teach English. One of the kids in the family recently taught English in Austria. Yes, it’s very competitive.
Retire to Teach

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Age Aside Reply with quote

Setting age aside for the moment, how competitive is an American with a BA, MS, JD, and CELTA, but with no other formal teacher training, certification, or experience, in the foreign English teaching job market?

I don’t want to insult anyone, or be an ugly American, or an arrogant lawyer, but those seem like fairly strong academic credentials for teaching ESL.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CELTA looks like the only directly relevant qualification you hold (unless your BA degree is related to language and/or teaching- in which case, highlight this). Your listed achievements wouldn’t suffice to get you in the door of any of the European universities I work with, unless you happened to come across a specific US ‘law’ niche. Private language schools in the European countries where you can get a work visa would likely be interested in you. For uni work, though, Asia is more likely.

To be clear, there are numerous and growing cohorts of teachers competing on the academic market who hold related MA degrees, have significant experience, and usually CELTA++
twowheel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retire to Teach wrote:
an American with a BA, MS, JD, and CELTA, but with no other formal teacher training, certification, or experience

but those seem like fairly strong academic credentials for teaching ESL

...seemingly, but not necessarily.

Retire to Teach wrote:
Austria has a number of programs that hire large numbers of Americans each year to teach English. One of the kids in the family recently taught English in Austria. Yes, it’s very competitive.

This may be the program you have in mind for younger Americans teaching in Austria. This is the one program I am aware of and I am not sure that there are a "number of" programs in Austria for Americans to teach.

https://www.usta-austria.at/site/home

I believe that a certain level of German proficiency is required to participate in this program. This year this program has 145 TAs, not a small number, but I wouldn't call that a large number either (on the contrary, the JET Programme in Japan does have a large annual intake of Americans).

I participated in this program from 1998 to 2000 (when I was 25 and 26 years old) and after I completed coursework for an M.A. in German.

For an older American who wants to teach abroad, my suggestion is to look at the Peace Corps. They are more age-friendly and very much welcome interest from older applicants. Your qualifications would be adequate for a competitive application for teaching English as a Foreign Language in the Peace Corps.

I served as a Peace Corps Volunteer in China from 2000 to 2003. My uncle with an engineering background retired in his 60s and then served in Mali for two years in the mid 2000s.

I shall assert here that the Peace Corps may likely be the best bet for an older American with little prior teaching experience to snare a teaching position abroad.

www.peacecorps.gov

Warm regards,
twowheel
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retire to Teach wrote:
Setting age aside for the moment, how competitive is an American with a BA, MS, JD, and CELTA, but with no other formal teacher training, certification, or experience, in the foreign English teaching job market?

I don’t want to insult anyone, or be an ugly American, or an arrogant lawyer, but those seem like fairly strong academic credentials for teaching ESL.

Zero teaching experience, unrelated degrees, and a freshly minted CELTA would net an entry-level TESOL job. However, in your case, the big, pink elephant in the room continues to be your age for those countries (and many others) you want to work in.

Cadit quaestio, counselor.
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Age Aside Reply with quote

Retire to Teach wrote:

If you applied where I work, you'd be up against people with a BA in foriegn language, (possibly a CELTA) and MA in TESOL or related and 4 or more years experience teaching EFL and you would look less qualified than them. But we also can't get a Mexican Social Security number for a person over 60. That does not mean you can not work in Mexico, but just not with they type of contract we offer.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Age Aside Reply with quote

Retire to Teach wrote:

Strong credentials in your field. IF you could find a university teaching your subject area using English as a medium of instruction and if you were under 60 there would be options.

Aside from your age (a SIGNIFICANT limiting factor) as an EFL teacher abroad you are actually weaker than a 20-something, recent BA graduate with a CELTA.

As one over 60 EFL teacher to another I wish you good luck in your quest but you had better change your scope of thinking or you won't be going anywhere except as a tourist.

MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Age Aside Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
Retire to Teach wrote:

Strong credentials in your field. IF you could find a university teaching your subject area using English as a medium of instruction and if you were under 60 there would be options.

Aside from your age (a SIGNIFICANT limiting factor) as an EFL teacher abroad you are actually weaker than a 20-something, recent BA graduate with a CELTA.

As one over 60 EFL teacher to another I wish you good luck in your quest but you had better change your scope of thinking or you won't be going anywhere except as a tourist.

I totally agree with this. You should also keep in mind that not every court system around the world has ORAL trails. So people around the world don't necessarily think lawyer=good language skills. For example Mexico is currently in a transition to an oral agruments system and does not have jury trials, so lawyers are just know for knowing the complicated laws not for being oraters, or even having a good command of language in general.

However people do like energentic English classes so they is a heavy bias towards young people.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention, international scholars and those already in law head to prestigious university law schools the US, UK, etc., for their legal studies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: