Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

newbie, cairo in the fall
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sara.ede

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting so psyched about moving to Egypt!! I just emailed an Egyptian archaeologist friend of mine (who works with Zahi Hawass if either of you know who that is) and inquired about his opinion on the whole matter. Smile

Just being goofy!

Sara
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goofy is good........ Very Happy

When have you decided on then?? Look me up when you get here - my email is [email protected] and I'll try get some time out of my oh-so-busy schedule to show you round the city if you want!!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sara,

You asked about money. I hope that you are not expecting to be paid in US dollars... and it is hard now to change your Egyptian Pounds into dollars if you are thinking of earning money to pay for your loans, that could be a problem.

So, I am assuming that you are just thinking in terms of tiding yourself over until you are earning enough to support yourself in Egypt? First off, if you get a round trip ticket over with an open return - a trip home is paid in case you have to come back for some reason. (so many rules have changed, but it used to be you could get one that was good for a year...) I wouldn't carry too much cash as there are ATMs (try to get a backup ATM card). Personally I would want a couple thousand as back up in my US account, but at my age, my luxury level is higher than you younguns. Cool

Sekhmet, what do you think?

Actually I do know a couple of Egyptologists, but not your buddy, Zahi... Wink

Connie
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, keeping enough money together is a problem. I would suggest that having a back-up of maybe a couple of thousand is a good thing - sometimes that just isn't possible though!! there are places where you can change dollars and travellers cheques, but the easiest way is with an ATM.

Don't expect to make too much money - only the universities and international schools make top dollar!! But it's still easy enough to save a bit each month from my wage (and my wage really IS pitiful - that's what comes of working for friends...)

Actually, wages for foreign teachers are not bad here. Granted, you won't be able to make as much as you could in some other countries, but it depends what you are coming for!!!
sara.ede

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew i wasnt going to be making much money and thats why I wanted to know how much I should have in the bank before I come. I plan to have a years worth of student loan payment money, enough for a flight and, from what you two have said, a couple thousand dollars on top of that. I can do it.... Smile I don't know if I can leave in May and do it, but it can definitely be done.

Thanks!
Sara
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I came out here with not much more than $200 in the bank... I had nowhere to stay, but I did have a job and a housemate lined up. That works for me, but I know it doesn't work for everyone!! Thankfully I didn't have the student loan to worry about!!

Good luck, and keep us updated (my what a long thread this has developed into??!!)
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good planning Sara... as long as you have the student loans taken care of, you can do fine there!! How much extra you have over that depends on your comfort level. (and also whether you have family who would bail you out if a real emergency came up) You can live about as cheaply as you wish there as long as you don't require luxury. Cool

Good Luck

VS
sara.ede

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I do like a little luxury...

And thank you again, I'll keep you informed. I just got a long pro-Cairo email from an archaeologist. Granted he is a very biased Egyptologist. My greco-roman arch roots would definitely be happier in Alex.

Laughing
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sara,

Just remember it is a 'third world' country. They have a very different idea of what is a luxury. For instance, many kitchens don't have hot water. Shocked

VS
sara.ede

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I lived in Kenya for a while and the middle class definitely heated their own water.

Sara
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Hot water doesn't seem to be so much of a luxury now - every flat I looked at had a water heater of some kind (and we were looking at the low end of the market!!!) I think I lucked out somewhat tho - we're in a really nice neighbourhood, in a really nice flat, our landlord's only slightly insane, and the rest of the building just smiles and shakes it's head at our "strange western ways".

There are some decent places out there, but be careful you take along an Egyptian friend when you go hunting - otherwise you could find yourself paying 4 or 5 times the going rate... And sometimes the real estate agents are even worse!!! There's a magazine here called "El Wasseet" - it's basically a classified ads mag, and it's really good for flats etc. The only problem is it's all in Arabic!!!

Anyway, it's not too bad....
Lindsay.L

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought on the money thing. I am teaching this year in Italy and before I left I requested a deferment on my student loan (temporary unemployment) and it was really easy. That could free up some cash for you to have while you are in Egypt.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AH HA!! So you lied to them!! Laughing Laughing

But, doesn't the interest keep running? Wouldn't that mean that you would owe more once you start paying? It is certainly a choice for her, but it is always better to pay the darn thing off as soon as possible. (true for all bills... especially credit cards... never run a balance on a credit card if the rate is over 5%)

fiscally conservatively yours,

VS
sara.ede

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could do taht...I am currently lying to them as I am technically "on leave" from graduate school though I have no intention at all of returning.

I also have government subsidized loans so the interest doesnt go up, the govt pays it. hmm..interesting idea but the idea of actually paying them down is pretty appealing.

Sara
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About student loans - I made that mistake. I left it for a couple of years after graduation, not realising that the interest was still going up, and at a higher rate than the ISA I put it into!!!! So paying it off if you possibly can is probably the better way...
I'm not sure about the system in America, but the British one took me by surprise...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: