Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to bring
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M.K.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: come on over fellow newbies Reply with quote

I know, I'm feeling a bit lonely here as the only newbie to post so far. To all other newbies I say, Don't be scared! Post a question! But whatever you do, don't post any of the following:

Hi, I'm a spoiled, sheltered, know-it-all American backpacker with no degree, and no training or experience in TEFL. I want to work abroad because I've heard there are easy women and lots of drugs in that place called abroad. Do I need a Visa? Can I drink the water there? Will I get paid in real money?
Rolling Eyes
Irish

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Check your meds Reply with quote

I take a small first aid kit with a few simple things like Neosporin, hydrocortisone, antihistamines, etc. It's nice to have them handy when you need them rather than bumbling through the local drug store trying to figure out what's in those mysterious looking bottles on the shelf (especially if said bottles are labled in a language you don't know very well). Once you become familiar with the local goods, it's easy to replace these items as you use them. If you wear contacts or glasses, pack a copy of your prescription.

I think M.K. should receive special recognition for daring to be the first customer in the newbie game preserve--er--forum, that is. Come on, Rob--you should at least see to it that M.K. gets an honorary medal at the upcoming first annual convention in Thailand.
R

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. M.K., We will hold a ceremony and you will be presented with a gold-plated box of Dave's ESL Cafe Patented Recipe Newbie Snacks! For the rest of the convention you will be heralded as Queen of TEFL 2003. Just think of all the lucrative sponsorship deals that will come flooding your way from the likes of NOVA and International House...

Good luck with the CELTA course, by the way!

Thailand? I thought it was going to be at my house! Guess I'll have to return that four-pack of Budvar and tube of Pringles to the Co-Op...
voodoochild

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: Costa Rica.. Reply with quote

...yes good point MK about the long termers here giving out world weary jaded messages and sage advice to everyone...it's something that sets the optimistic newbies apart from the crazy expats on the other forums (god help us if we become expats)

Costa Rica is nice I was there last year, Montezuma is worth checking out, pop up to Nicaragua its top.
M.K.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmm...newbie snacks. Those will come in handy when I'm starving on my TEFL teaching salary!
To Mr. johnslat:
No, I have never been to Mancos or Cortez, but I fully agree that the Rockies are the lovliest spot on earth. I grew up right along the front range in a small town called Monument, and this will always be home for me (sniff, sniff). Per the advice received here, I do believe I will be purchasing a pocket knife and a first aid kit, and yes, I'm all too aware of the trials and tribulations of post-9/11 travel. I've been to Europe twice since then, and I'm that girl who always sets off the sensors and has to remove her shoes, get frisked, and empty her hand luggage while everyone stares and my traveling companions snicker. Sigh.
Time to get back to "work". I'm counting the days until I leave...
Best regards to all,
Melissa
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Rocky Mountain High Reply with quote

Dear M.K.
I think you're going to do fine and have a ball. From your posts, it's apparent you have a good sense of humor and don't take yourself, or anything else, too seriously. Those traits are very relevant to this trade.
You might want to take a few posters of the Rockies wth you, as well. I've got Chaco Canyon right above my computer here at home and it's a comfort. One thing that MAY surprise you ( although it sounds like you're pretty well-travelled already ) is how much you discover about the USA only when you leave it.
Regards,
John
Tripmaster Monkey

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing I would say is music. Especially if you're into anything out of the mainstream. Of course, you can download such things, but expect internet connections to be bad. Download before you go. MP3's are also good in terms of space. I'm still lugging around my CD collection. Takes up a lot of space, but sees me through the tough parts. I've never regretted the space or the expense.

Another thing that will be very hard to come by are word games. Scrabble is everywhere, so don't bring it. But, anything else will probably be unique and new to your students. Boggle and Scattergories are the two that come to mind. When selecting, pick the ones that can be played by a large number of people like 15-20 (15 people surrounding a Scrabble board just doesn't work). I'd also recommend taking the essential bits and ditching the packaging. Again, Boggle is the winner.

At the end of the day, it's probably better to just pack light. Back in the wild days before everyone had internet access, I packed for Korea based on a book I'd read (Now Hiring! Jobs In Asia- seminal, hilarious). What I remember most was showing up with two family-sized jugs of Pert Plus shampoo because the book said shampoo and other toiletries were expensive. I guess I thought it might cost as much as sushi does in the States. Not. Determine what's indispensable, then dispense with the rest.
isabel

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are an American size 8 or smaller, you should be fine for clothes. I found that it was IMPOSSIBLE to find size 10 womans shoes in Mexico. I'm a size 12 clothes- unless you are fond of polyester, you will be in trouble unless you bring what you need.

I am in Korea now, and I brought a lot of photos, but not enough- I miss my photos of the world. I am really glad that I brought the ones that I did. I look at them all of the time (on my wall) and use them in class for discussion points.

I found that dental floss (!) was very expensive in Mexico City, and there was only one brand. Here, in Korea, vitamins so far seem to be expensive, but I am looking. Bring a six month's supply of anything used regularly in the personal department, unless you arrive with a decent grasp of the language. In Latin America I was able to find most of what I wanted after some struggle, but in Korea, where the language is only now becoming the least bit accessable to me, I struggle for some things.

Oh, one last thing, I found the pillows in Mexico to be insufferable. I stuffed my down pillow from the states in my carry-on for Korea, used it on the airplane (wonderful on a 14 hour flight) and every day since. Absolutely NO regrets for bringing that one.

What I miss most? My photos and some books. I have learned to love Korean food (my spices that I was urged to bring from the U.S. are going stale in the cupboard.) I will be going clothing shopping in Australia on my vacation. (I brought plenty of big shoes this time.)

The important thing is to be flexible and integrate into the new culture. U.S. food is best in the U.S.. Eat and live locally. Then you will be a good traveler.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: