Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eid Al Fitr in Bahrain
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rıyals ın my case rather than dınars sınce I am workıng over the Causeway. Never use the Irısh Bar and I am TT these days after many years as a practısıng alkıe.
kaw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summer courses aren't too bad - ours started on Saturday and it's actually a nice change. In fact dare I say it - I prefer it.......
qas419

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I dont think summer courses have strong academic benefits for students. First, the semester is short and second, the instructor is exhausted. I taught summer courses and always felt uncomfortable. It was only because of extra money that I did it. For these reasons and other reasons, the University of Bahrain has stopped running summer courses. Students demonostrated and met the lady President but no use; she was adamant and persistent. Moreover, teaching during the summer in the Gulf region especially Bahrain is unbearable. It is not worth it at all.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can agree with most of the pros and cons. I did it for the extra pay and the heat was miserable... and the course was too short to really be of much benefit... but like kaw, I enjoyed it. The classes were always smaller and more informal. And the small size allowed you to give more individualized attention. I'd say half of the class really benefited because they really did want to improve their skills... while the half that considered it 'punishment' were as lazy as they had been for the previous semester. Laughing Often with the small class size some of these could be shamed into joining the other half of the class.

VS
kaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately - our class sizes are as usual - 16 - nothing I know compared to some places. Registration was packed with only a few plavces left by the end of the first day. Extra kids classes had to be put on - but as I'm teaching the adult classes in the evening I don't really mind.
As for courses being too short - there the same number of hours as our regular ones - it's just that the students are coming in everyday instead of twice a week.
The money doesn't make a difference - if we weren't working the summer we'd be on leave. The only real bonus come from all the IELTS examining there is as a lot of our usual examiners have escaped for the summer.........
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaw
Leave these camels and read your pm's !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Bahrain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: