Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What salary range can my friend expect
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cobra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took your advice and read Roger's other posts.

First the law does require you to carry your passport with you at all times.

Second, work for other than your registered employer is illegal.

Just because there is lax enforcement does not make Roger's comments either wrong or overstated.

That is the last time I waste my time taking your advice on anything.
prplfairy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you're breaking my heart with that last comment. The point is not whether or not there is a law, any fool can read a law. The point is, what is the reality of the situation on the ground. I've never heard of any teachers, or native English speakers, being checked for their passport here. On occasion you see officers checking the domestic helpers out or picking out mainlanders to see if they are legal but the very idea that not carrying your passport is going to get you detained by the police is utterly absurd.

As far as taking work on the side, once again the point is not whether or not it is legal or illegal. We all know its illegal. But once again, what is the reality on the ground? The reality is that many people do it to get by; not because they want to but because they need to. Take this situation:Contract ends in July, new job doesn't start until September. No one sponsors for a month and a half. So by Rogers logic someone in this situation should just not eat or pay rent for a month and a half. Why? Because it makes you a "bad guy" in Roger's eyes. Well I'll be a "bad guy" with a bank account full of cash rather than a "good guy" sucker sitting around waiting for September. People come here to the board to see what is possible, not to get judged by Roger. If you want rules and regulations go to the labour and immigration departments, if you want to know what actaully happens then this forum should do more than just reinforce the agendas of those agencies.

You say Roger does not over state things? Well take a look at his some his exagerations that you somehow over looked:

'Tell your friend that he has virtually zero chances of getting a teaching position in Hong Kong. " (in response to a Candian Born Chinese)

Put any hope of working in HK illegally definitely out of your mind! ...you would be acting most despicably in many ways! (in response to getting part-time work under the table)

Put up with it AND shut up (in response to ridiculous interview tactics)

It's not even its former shade any more - it's a new and ugly place! (in refrence to HK)

This doesn't even cover when he said that illegal English teacher are as likely to get deported as illegal Mainland workers. What more do you need to realize that the statments he leaves are exagerations and scare tactics to keep people away. The real question is why he does it.
Cobra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reject your invitation to chase my tail.

I am very familiar with Roger's posts here and in the China forum.

As I said in the beginning, he is usually spot on and I agree with his factually correct and intellectually honest posts.

I think the real question is whether you have a personal vendetta against Roger or do you simply work for the Hong Kong Chamber of Commerce.

In any event, learn to disagree without being so damn disagreable. Personal attacks like yours do not assist in any point you are trying to make.
prplfairy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's make something clear here: I have nothing against Roger. I'm sure he's a lovely person. I just don't agree with the majority of his postings.

They are anti-Hong Kong. They tell people to stay away and they tell people that unless they are white, a degree holder, and legally sponsored that they should not bother coming to or working in Hong Kong. You tactlessly avoided a response to my scernario concerning this matter, not to mention the quotes from Roger that expresly disprove your saying he does not exagerate grossly.

You my friend, need to learn to not take things so persoanlly, especially when they have nothing to do with you-as in this case. I don't really see why we can't agree to disagree on Roger's postings. You like them, I don't. What more is there to say?
Gilly23

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prplfairy all the way Laughing

I dont think its impossible for a Canadian born Chinese to find a job in HK. You just have to look around. Besides if your covered with a place to stay then its all good. Peace!
Cobra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people view Honkers one way and some view it another. Both may have very strong opinions. This is the place to express them.

Name calling and claiming the other is exagerating or utterly absurd is where we depart company.

As an adult, no one needs to engage in such low brow communication to make their point.

You said:
Quote:
I don't really see why we can't agree to disagree on Roger's postings. You like them, I don't. What more is there to say?

That was my point exactly! Why did you need to say more?

As to your comment:
Quote:
You my friend, need to learn to not take things so persoanlly, especially when they have nothing to do with you-as in this case.

You made a personal attack on someone in a public forum. That makes it everyone's business who participates in the forum.

If you want a private war just PM Roger.

Post it here and it is my business to correct you when you are wrong.
ChrisRose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local applicants for the NET scheme are not entitled to housing allowance.

With regards to salaries, I have had to accept some terribly poorly compensated positions.

Hourly rates, without examination marking fees! The hourly rate is the same as I could find in the private sector as a tutor!

However I should not sound ungrateful, no one has twisted my arm with regards these offers. The down side is that my personal continuing education may be placed on hold yet again.

For anyone considering coming to Hong Kong, I strongly suggest researching the available offers of employment via the web. You will notice that sponsorship offers are becoming fewer and further between for positions below university courses of F10 and below.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
prplfairy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobra,
The point I was making, yet another one you failed to get, is that Roger is a big boy. He doesn't need you or anyone else to stick up for him.

I make posting about Hong Kong life and so does he. We disagree sometimes; so be it. You, on the other hand, make postings, not based on helping people understand Hong Kong ESL life or anything remotely concerned, but on the style of others postings-talk about off topic!

We are trying to comment on life in Hong Kong and have more than enough filler in this forum as it is, thank you very much. Participate if you must, in the vein of one with knowledge on HK, but leave your threats of "war" at home and tell us if you know anything about HK other than that you like Roger.
Cobra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just do not get it!

I was not defending Roger but trying to teach the unteachable something about effectively getting a message across.

I do not know how long you have been involved in Honkers but I will admit that my knowledge and experience is very limted to the period 1970 to present.
prplfairy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Cobra,

I seem to have got my message across a little too well; you're in a bit of huff. If you're so knowledgable about HK you sure have not displayed as much by putting two hundred and somthing postings up in other forums and offering nothing here but put downs and banalities. As every good writer knows: show don't tell. I can tell about how I have a vast knowledge of the ever expanding edge of the universe, but that doesn't mean anything. All you've shown is that you have nothing better to do with your time than post 14+ postings a day and hassle people. Let the big kids get back to talking about issues that concern people in HK, something you have never done, and stop wasting our space in this forum.
Cobra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Let the big kids get back to talking about issues

Ah yes that was the whole point. The bullies should stop casting aspersions. You simply lack a teachable, humble spirit. Too bad.
prplfairy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! A bonus! Not only do you not have anything to say about Hong Kong, the entire point of this board and my last few messages, but you're my spirtual adivisor as well. Perhaps you'd like to read my palm or throw around some tarot cards. I lack a teachable humble soul? For thousands of years mankind has searched for the answers to the riddles of the human spirit and soul and thankfully we have a man who poses as a cartoon snake to finally tell us what it's all about. Thank you so much for your insight. Any thing else you can tell us? Perhaps how the universe was created or where Jimmy Hoffa is buried.
Cobra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people will just never learn!
Cobra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me see if I understand the rules of this HK forum:

1. Fairy is in charge of this sandbox.
2. Fairy decides who can play in this sandbox.
3. Fairy decides what can be played in this sandbox.
4. Fairy decides whose play is worthwhile.
5. Fairy decides whose play is truthful or accurate.
6. Fairy decides who should be bullied in this sandbox.

Fairy tales only come true when a fairy believes them.

Better check with Dave before going much further with your "King of the Sandbox' game little boy.
once again

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger constantly posts things that are not true about HK. I have challenged him many times about this. DO NOT TAKE what Roger has to say about HK as anyway near the truth. Bernard posted that no local resident will get on the NET scheme. This is simple untrue. Chris Rose has posted that no local resident will get the housing allowance on the NET scheme. THis is not true. I know of two people personally who have been resident in HK for at least the last 3 years and now are on the NET scheme with the housing allowance. Do not take anything that you read here as the truth. I have read so much rubbish over the last few months that in no way reflects the true nature of the city.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: