Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I must live in Germany, and yes I'm getting married :)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaraLF

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: jobs are hard to find Reply with quote

alright, jobs are hard to find. I believe everyone. So I'm dumping my German boyfriend. I have no qualms with being single or just hooking up with an American. That way I can stay in the states and go to grad school, pay my loans and buy a house. That sounds like a good plan. It's solid.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a limited interest in news about your sex life.
Deicide

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: jobs are hard to find Reply with quote

SaraLF wrote:
alright, jobs are hard to find. I believe everyone. So I'm dumping my German boyfriend. I have no qualms with being single or just hooking up with an American. That way I can stay in the states and go to grad school, pay my loans and buy a house. That sounds like a good plan. It's solid.

I really hope you are being facetious or are you truly the raving lunatic you are painting yourself out to to be? Shocked
JZer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Why does it even matter? Your boyfriend will find some nice European meat while you are gone anyways!
Deicide

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
Quote:

Why does it even matter? Your boyfriend will find some nice European meat while you are gone anyways!

Meine Guete, wie sehr ich Amifrauen nicht ausstehen kann....ich bin froh, niemals mit einer zusammengewesen zu sein...klingt wie, ja, so schmeisse ich die Schuhe raus, weil sie zu meinem Kleid nicht passen, ersetze Freund fuer Schuhe...Amifrauen sind schrecklich.... Shocked
fraup

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, here's my take on the "Americans can't work in Germany" issue. (I'm an American with an M.A. in German and an M.B.A.)

About 6 years ago I was living and working--legally!-- near Stuttgart. One of our part-time instructors, an American woman, was also moonlighting at Berlitz, illegally. (She was living with her German boyfriend so could share expenses.) A lot of our non-German college students were also working illegally at various restaurants, little software companies etc.
The thing is, if you are a foreigner and a STUDENT it is easy to get a paying internship, for 6 months; Germans are happy to give foreign students jobs as long as the foreigners don't plan to stay. Also, German universities used to be free, or at least low cost. Students would take 7-8 years to finish; study, take an internship, study, go overseas for a bit, study, work a bit...

Also, I think one can get be a freelancer/independent contractor without too much difficulty. Problem is the pay is not that great if all the deductions for the well-known German welfare system are taken out.

The reality is that you do need to know German, and the better you know it the more likely you are to get some sort of job. You could also check out American companies with offices in the former East Germany. They may need someone and be able to persuade the local labor office that only an American can fill the bill.

Oh, one other thing: the U.S. military is still in Germany although they are cutting back on personnel. They may have some openings for civilians, so you could check that as well.
SaraLF

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: indeed Reply with quote

Well thank you for the advice. As for the rest of you, it's of great interest to me how insulting you were. I doubt any of you would have the guts to say things like that to actual people but whatever. Have fun teaching English.
Deicide

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: jobs are hard to find Reply with quote

SaraLF wrote:

You sound like a disgusting human being with your typical American woman attitude of people are like the shoes I have and I will just chuck them away anytime I feel like...I am so glad I no longer live in that backwater and have to deal with women like you whose view of men and their partners differs little than their peception of the clothes they wear...we told you the down low and instead of finding a way to make it work, you just dump him? Pretty vile but I wouldn't expect anything less than that from an Amifrau and you guys have infected the European women too with your 'relationship capitalism'...makes me want to puke....and thus am I glad you aren't going to go to Germany where you can spread your disease of a mentality.... Shocked
SaraLF

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: enough Reply with quote

You are a complete moron and you are taking out your personal issues on a professional forum. I no longer care for your input. And I'm not dumping anyone, I was merely trying to express how ridiculous you make this situation sound. I am moving to Germany to be with my husband after we're married. Even if I'm unemployed until I learn German I will be in Germany with my loved one. He's offered to support me and you have nothing of importance to say.

Please take your issues with women to someone who cares.
JZer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
professional forum

Since when was this a professional forum??? Rolling Eyes
Deicide

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: enough Reply with quote

SaraLF wrote:
You are a complete moron and you are taking out your personal issues on a professional forum. I no longer care for your input. And I'm not dumping anyone, I was merely trying to express how ridiculous you make this situation sound. I am moving to Germany to be with my husband after we're married. Even if I'm unemployed until I learn German I will be in Germany with my loved one. He's offered to support me and you have nothing of importance to say.

Please take your issues with women to someone who cares.

A) I have no issues with women...only American women
B) At least you are not a raving lunatic
C) Your situation is not ridiculous, but rather difficult
D) Coming from a monoglot, 'I have no clue about anything outside Midwestern USA' person with delusions of what is feasable and what is not...the moron label would most appropriately go to you...we have a winner..... Rolling Eyes
JZer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d............
DainaJ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sara,

First of all, congratulations on your wedding. I agree with the others that it will be extremely difficult to get a job with no/little German. I worked in Germany for 3 1/2 yrs. and lived there for another 2 as a student - it wasn't a picnic even with pretty fluent German. Could you look into online possibilities? Maybe teaching English or other online courses, curriculum development, editing - some kind of telecommuting job like that for a US company?

Good luck!

Deicide,

immer mit der Ruhe! Das M�dchen hat blo� eine Frage gestellt. Kein Grund auszuflippen. Klar, da� Du in D-land/Europa schlechte Erfahrungen gemacht hast und versuchst jemand davor zu warnen, aber keiner wird Deinen Rat ernst nehmen (und Du hast dabei recht - es wird schwierig sein, einen Job mit wenig Deutschkenntnissen zu finden), wenn Du sie beschimpfst.
Deicide

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Naja...darum gehts nicht.... Reply with quote

DainaJ wrote:
Hi Sara,

First of all, congratulations on your wedding. I agree with the others that it will be extremely difficult to get a job with no/little German. I worked in Germany for 3 1/2 yrs. and lived there for another 2 as a student - it wasn't a picnic even with pretty fluent German. Could you look into online possibilities? Maybe teaching English or other online courses, curriculum development, editing - some kind of telecommuting job like that for a US company?

Good luck!

Deicide,

immer mit der Ruhe! Das M�dchen hat blo� eine Frage gestellt. Kein Grund auszuflippen. Klar, da� Du in D-land/Europa schlechte Erfahrungen gemacht hast und versuchst jemand davor zu warnen, aber keiner wird Deinen Rat ernst nehmen (und Du hast dabei recht - es wird schwierig sein, einen Job mit wenig Deutschkenntnissen zu finden), wenn Du sie beschimpfst.

Sorry, aber die Frau ist absolut hirnrissig und sie hat ihre Hirnrissigkeit mehrmals bewiesen. Zudem habe ich die total schlechte Wirtschaftslage in DL nicht erwaehnt. Eine Amifrau mit null Erfahrung in der EFLbranche, null Deutschkenntnissen soll potentiellen deutschen Arbeitnehmern Jobs nehmen? Selbst wenn sie das EUticket durch ihre Heirat bekaeme, kann ich mir nicht vorstellen, dass sie ausreichend Arbeit finden koennte. Mit ihren nicht vorhandenen Deutschkenntnissen waere sie nicht mal fuers Kellern geeignet. Naja soviel dazu. Wo hast Du studiert, was und wo hast Du gearbeitet und welche Staatsangehoerigkeit besitzt Du?, hast ja meine Neugier erweckt....lg D
JZer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi Sara,

First of all, congratulations on your wedding.

She is not even married. A wedding is mere speculation.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: